“Croatia can do better than this”

Konoba Paloma Croatica
Ranked #252 of 367 Restaurants in Dubrovnik
Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean, European, Croatian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Croatia can do better than this”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I've been to Dubrovnik so many times, and frankly, I decided to eat here because I've tried pretty much everything around and wanted to eat out where I haven't eaten before. The name sounded nice and it didn't look too expensive, and as far as I could tell it has been recently opened which could mean they are freshly enthhusiastic about this business. Boy was this a mistake I would regret! The staff were elderly, which can be charming but only if they do their job well, and I'm sorry to say that was not the case. The lady was welcoming but too chatty for my taste and too relaxed with her manners and work clothing which made me uncomfortable. I ordered some soup followed by a classic steak and salad, thought it would be nice to mix something new like that strange sounding soup dish with something regular. I ate it but the meat was too tough and the salad seemed wilted?!! I ended up wishing I hadn't, cause later on I felt nauseated. Had to buy some cammomile tea and ginger at Konzum. Lying in bed is not what you want to do on your holiday! This shook my trust in food service. I'm sure Croatian hospitality can do much better.

Toronto, Canada
“Regretted choice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Walking around Old Town in Dubrovnik my friend and I wanted to have a lunch in a quite place with a authentic Croatian food, and we've decided to give a try to Konoba Paloma.
We have been nicely welcomed, but that was all we have goten and this is where our nightmare begins.
After ordering food by recomodation of ma'am that served us (as well welcomed us), we have seen her carring our bottled mineral water under her armpit and we have found that very unprofessional and ugly.
Can you imagine our thoughts, but we haven't said nothing until food haven't arrived.
Food was poorly made, actually without taste, and we could not tell it was fresh.
Of course, we didn't end up eating it, we tried to explain to the ma'am that we are unsatisfied, on what she started telling us that that was the way how it suppose to be. Like right, meet is not supposed to be red if it is not a steak.
We should have know, because it was just us sitting in the restaurant in the middle of August, in the centre of Dubrovnik.

I highly do NOT reccomend this place. We wasted our money, and time.

2 Thank Ana267
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Wonderful authentic Croatian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

If you want to eat authentic home-cooked delicious Croatian dishes this is the restaurant for you. Dubrovnik is full of very average touristy restaurants and it is difficult to find somewhere that is truly Croatian so we were thrilled to come across this wonderful little restaurant just around the corner from the Muratti Art Gallery on Miha Pracata and just off the Od Puca.
We were attacted to the restaurant while passing by and seeing the quality of food which was being served. And we were not mistaken in our judgement. On arrival, we were given a very warm welcome by the charming sisters Sonya and Marija who run the restaurant which is located in the home they have owned for several generations and have had to restore after its destruction in war in the 90s. The pear liqueur we were served as a complimentary drink was delicate and delicious. We received very helpful explanations and advice for our choice of dishes which included 'Pasticada' - a delicious tender beef dish in a rich plum and red wine sauce served with gnocchi; 'Cevapcici' - savoury spicey meatballs; and 'Mixed meat' which included scrumptious local sausages. The meal was served with a lovely smooth local red wine and the baklava was by far the best we tasted in Dubrovnik. The food is all freshly cooked in the home kitchen and with the friendliness of the sisters the experience is like dining with friends. During our short visit to the city we returned here several times and had excellent food each time. If you wish to taste the authentic cuisine of the country you are visiting this is an experience not to be missed.
A word of warning - when looking for this restaurant you need to avoid the larger and very agressively marketed neighbouring restaurant, which shares tables in the narrow little street. Look out for the white tables/chairs and ask for Sonya and Marija's restaurant (on the left side as you turn in past the Muratti art gallery) and you won't regret your choice.

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely traditional food, bit tricky to find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Lovely, tastey traditional food. The restaurant is right next to Taj Mahal, Bosnian, restaurant, it's easy to miss though, they have a row of white chairs and tables and the rest of the lane is taken up by Taj Mahal.
Really helpful waitress and food was nice home style cooking. Mixed grill was good and stuffed cabbages. Fish soup and white bait to start were excellent. Really enjoyed this and would recommend.

• Visited September 2013
Sao Paulo, Brazil
“Amazing service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

The best expirience we ever had in Dubrovnick. The owners are amazing. Local food, well made and honest. Tks for all girls. Hugs from Brazil!