All reviews bed dorm annex building common room social aspect mixed dorm old town mostar tour booking tours staff was friendly and helpful buza gate place to stay perfect location common areas toilet and shower kings landing outdoor terrace within the walls
Reviewed January 27, 2019 via mobile

A great, clean hostel with friendly staff. This hostel has two locations - one is located near the walls and there you are expected to check in. My bed was in a 18 bed dorm in the Center of Old town. It was perfect! The bathrooms, rooms and kitchen are very clean. I am not a dormitory person but this was a great experience. I even extended my stay.

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed October 25, 2018 via mobile

I stayed for four nights in an 8 bed room. The hostel was well put together, very clean and welcoming, with the reception desk staffed until quite late. The staff were friendly and helpful, booking tours and offering advice about the city.

There are two buildings in this hostel, I stayed in the main one at the top of the old town, be prepared for a LOT of steps, so follow their directions through Buza gate!

Overall a great stay, and a lovely hostel.

Reviewed October 22, 2018 via mobile

PROS: Perfect location inside the old town. Clean toilet and shower. Free towels and linen.

CONS: Be ready for the endless stairs! (If you go through Pile Gate entrance). There was an email about using the Buza Gate for fewer stairs however google maps wasn’t giving the the right direction to Buza Gate so I called the number on the email however she just told me to read the email again so after walking around for minutes with my luggage I ended up using the Pile Gate route. (took photos of stairs for reference) Very small space and cramped shower you can barely move around however both toilet and showers are clean. Even the 4 bed dorm room is too small to move around.

Reviewed October 17, 2018 via mobile

Good hostel with a perfect location. The hostel is located on a beautiful spot in the old town. The staff was very nice, rooms were clean and the wifi was really fast as well. I would recommend you this hostel based on the price and the location. A friend of me booked a cheaper one and he had to walk 20 minutes to his hostel from the old town.

Reviewed October 16, 2018 via mobile

Was placed in annexe building, which is a drag because it means you have no chance of getting into the room before 2pm as it's kinda far and you need to be escorted over.

Paid for 8 bed dorm. Was given 10 bed dorm. Had to recheck my booking, realised I had definitely booked 8. Complained to a guy at reception who said they don't advertise a 10 bed dorm and basically the 8 and 10 were the same. Realised this man was completely useless and decided to complain to a different staff member the next day.

Unfortunately there is rarely/never anyone at reception in this annexe building and during the rest of my time there I was unable to find anyone else to complain to about the overcharging.

I heard from other people in my dorm that they had booked 12 bed and were put in this same dorm. So I guess some people benefit from paying less and getting a smaller room, and some people like me are over charged.

I felt this was very unfair, especially as I was staying for a few days and it wasn't just one night. Dubrovnik is expensive and I already thought that 8 bed dorm was too many people. If I had known I would be put in a 10 bed dorm I may have picked a different hostel.

Apart from that, rooms were visibly clean (there was a bad smell every night but couldn't figure out if it was coming from a person or from behind lockers).

Showers are good, but no shelf or anywhere to put your toiletries, and only a hook to put your clothes which is frustrating.

Kitchen/communal area quite small. Kitchen is closed off until 8am and barricaded with chairs, so a bit of a struggle to try get in in the early morning to grab any food or drink you left in fridge (which is common as most day trips leave around 7am).

WiFi was terrible for me, ridiculously slow and disconnected often. That guy in reception was useless and said I had a bad phone. My phone is good and WiFi worked fine everywhere except this one place, but i know not everyone had this problem. Eventually I went to bar outside and got WiFi password for there, thankfully that worked fine instead.

Housekeeping kinda rude, on the day I was due to check out I got up early, went around the old town and came back just at check out time at 10am. My bed had already been remade and my towel taken. Had to get another towel in order to have a quick shower. Was finishing up packing my bag and housekeeping came in and tell me it's time to leave - I said I would be finished in a few moments. This was before 10.30am. They are very strict on checkout, but yet by the time we were brought over to this annexe building it was almost 2.30pm, so I guess check-in is more loose.

It's also strange that my bed was remade even before checkout time, especially considering that no one is ever allowed in before 2pm so there's really no rush.

Overall this place wasn't horrible but I can't recommend it. If you book early you should be able to find better places to stay in Dubrovnik.

Trip type: Traveled solo
Bettywhite2803, Manager at Hostel Angelina Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2018

Dear Philippa,
I am surprised to see how people like you stay in hoostel - i guess just to save 0,001 cents.

Just to clear the things (for other people who is reading this anc can also read all other reviews)
1. You have booked 8 bed dorm and were placed in 10 bed dorm which we only sell 8 beds, so you were having bigger room, with same number of people, as 8 bed dorm was deep cleaned. 8 bed dorm and 12 bed dorm is 1 EUR difference and I would send it to your back account happily so you don't feel ripped off.

2.We have optics internet - so it cannot be slow as it is best internet available in the world (you are the first person in 6 years that said this) but at this point I start thinking you are just saying lies just to blame us.

3.Check out is by 10am, and it is not nice to be rude and not to respect, as cleaning ladies do hard job to cleean many rooms and spaces so you guys can enjoy nice, cozy and clean hostel.

4. I am sad you got this perception of us, as it is clearly wrong, but still, every person has the right to write whatever they feel like and it is just your personal opinion.

I wish you all the best and feel free to message me your bank account to refund you 1 EUR.
Kind regards