“Best diving place in Dubrovnik”

Abyss Diving & Water Sports Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are a diving and water sports center in the Croatian city of Dubrovnik located on Lapad peninsula on a beautiful beach of hotel Dubrovnik President, awarded with world wide known ecological certificate the BLUE FLAG. Upon your arrival you will be welcomed by our staff that will make your vacation remembered. In addition to diverse offers of water sports we offer unforgettable diving at attractive locations in the crystal clear blue Adriatic sea of the Dubrovnik aquatorium.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I was very pleased with atmosphere in Abyss diving center. First I was at another big adverticed PADI five star diving company at Dubrovnik and I was so dissapointed their handlind and indifferent towards customers so I decided to try another company and it was worth of it. Abyss is the most excelent place to dive and for different kind of water sport activity more than another. Prices was reasonable and personell was skilled and most friedly.
If I going to dive at Dubronik it would be Abyss where i will go.
The owner of company is the most skilled diver in Croatia and that is noticed how they are approach to scuba dive. I am very grateful for this opportunity to dive with you guys. Thanks!

Kannattaan mennä tähän paikkaan jos meinaat sukeltaa Dubrovnikissa. :)

Br. Niko from Finland

in 5 reviews
"safety"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I had 2 dives with the Abyss diving center which was two very different experiences, so therefore i have made this a split review of my visit.
The early morning dive was a quick speedboat trip away and was a nice dive just of the shore. We went down from the boat to the bottom (5meters) and dived through a canyon and we ended at a wall (23meters) where a languster was hiding in a hole. From there a slow ascent back towards the boat. We followed the small natural lagoon and reached a small cave which we entered and followed to the end which was approx 15-20meters. The cave was not completely closed so when looking up you could see the surface almost all the time, and at 2-3 meters of depth it was a good beginners taste of what a cave is. Out of the cave again we followed the lagoon again to the second cave which was slightly different from the first. With it's sandfloor and a little smaller from side to side you get the true impression of cavediving. 10 meters from the entrance we surfaced in a natural hole where daylight streamed in. Here we parked the female diver of the team (!!!!!) because she didn't want to proceed into the cave which turned quite dark. So me and another guest and the guide (I doubt he's more than a DM) went the last coupple of meters into the cave where some sort of ray slept in a small hole. Going out of the cave again the women descended and joined the group again...... From here we went back to the boat and ascended to the surface, sailed back to the center and changed clothes.. No debreefing or hangout to chat about the dive.. Nothing wrong with that, but not the way i am used to dive.

Later in the afternoon I took my second dive. This time it was a new guide. He was a little bit older, seemed a little confused and I first realized he was the guide when we got on the boat.! On the boat he told me that this trip was to an italian cargo ship named Taranto sunked in '43 by a german mine and this wreck starts at 22meters and go down to 55meters and at the bottom of the ship there is a tractor which they say you can sit on and get you photo taken!!! I am an AOWD certified diver with over 65 dives in cold, dark scandinavian waters so i'm not a rookie but not at all experienced either. To me this sounded just foolish.. Going down to 55meter with a 12L tank of compressed normal air at only just 200bar!! But I thought we would get a very serious breefing when we reached our destination.! When we got there and boat was safely secured he started breefing.... "This is a very easy og very spectacular dive. (Here he repeated the history of the shipwreck) It is deep so be aware of your boyancy. We will suit up now and get in the water. (Him pointing) over there is a rope, go to 3meters and do your boddycheck!"...... This was the briefing we got from a guide, taking a group of 4 people way outside the limits of any of our certification boundries.. Going down the rope right to the top of the ship was easy and it was a beautiful sight. When the group was together we started to go down the ship slowly. Reaching 40meters and still not seeing any sign of the guide slowing down made me extra careful. His excitement over some sort of mureen eel in a toilet on the boat(!!!) convinced me they where used tourists just following his lead, not thinking of their safety, and having a blast over a fish in a toilet (omg) ! I signaled my buddy, a young man, that i was cold and would ascend a bit. At this point I had reached 43meters but the others where well below me. When I started my slowly ascend the guide confronted me at signaled if I was ok and I returned that I was because I thought, well I'm fine now but I won't go further down. He must have signaled the group because at the time that i reached the rope after circeling the top of the ship during my ascend for some minutes we were all together. During the ascent the guide watched me closely and looked at me with confused and strange eyes. I kept looking at my computer to check ascenttime, safetystop and my airsupply, which was 50bars at the safetystop. At one time he looked at my computer then at his own to show me that his said that the safetystop was over, when mine said 2min remaining. Back at the surface I was shocked by his carelessness and didn't say much.

The way I see it, it is a matter of time before someone gets hurt very bad.

The equipment is fairly new and in a good condition.

The marine life you see on a dive is VERY similar to what you see when snorkeling.

If you are a experienced diver you can go on their trips but be aware, you will need to be you own safetyline.

10  Thank Christian M
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

It was truly a pleasure to book 4 dives at the abyss. My first contact with the club was before I visited Dubrovnik, emailing them to arrange the dives and get costing. Maro replied quickly pointing out the options in perfect English. The first impression was that nothing was too much to ask all my needs would be accommodated, filling me with great confidence in the enterprise.

I was really impressed with our DM, Antun, who was also the owner of the club. He was a fantastic instructor, passionate about his diving and business, had a great sense of humour and was a lot of fun to dive with.

I dived 4 times with Abyss. The caves where great but the highlight was the 50 metre dive to the large Italian wreak, Taranto. It was well worth the extra 10 euros, I don't think I will ever forget that dive.

As an added bonus the sites are a short boat ride way from the club. Very convenient when holidaying with non divers!!

Well done Autun, Marco and Maro at the Abuss, I will definitely be visiting again.

Ps

The DM took a camera with him on all the dives and gave me copies of all the photos on a cd, nice bonus and lovely momento. Thanks.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

The dive centre is located in the Dubrovnik President Centre, and as a person who has to dive on any holiday I go on I have seen a variety of different centres. This one is extremely well equipped with excellent new equipment and two fast boats. Normally when you ask to go out on a specific dive it depends on how many people have booked. I had wanted to dive a WW2 shipwreck the Taranto and was expecting to be given a specific day. Not so, I was told “if there is only you, then we will go with you, you tell us which day you want to dive.” For this reason alone I would recommend this centre, but they know their way around are highly professional and deserve well placed praise. My only regret is that I only got out twice, next time I go back I will get out more often and look forward to my return. In terms of dive sites and quality there is a lot of info out there already but I have to say I was not disappointed.

1  Thank Glyn C
See more reviews
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I did one dive with Abyss since they are very close to my hotel. When I went to visit I didn't get the best impression but decided to dive with them anyway since they were convenient. Their equipment and boat seemed fine but the main problem was with the attitude of the staff who seemed to view me as an inconvenience. I was the only person who was diving that afternoon and I soon realised why. I should have been provided a lot more information before the dive (providing briefing about the dive site, explaining the dive plan, proper buddy checks). The dive itself was a deep one (45m+) on a local wreck and the preparations just weren't adequate to safely dive to that sort of depth. Luckily I've done a lot of similar diving (I'm a qualified diving instructor) so I was able to look after myself underwater, which turned out to be lucky since the guides didn't stay with me the whole dive.

I also found out later that the staff should have taken my qualification card with them while out on the boat since the local police require this. They didn't do this. In fact they didn't even check qualifications, just asked how many dives I had done.

I was planning to do more diving while in Dubrovnik but decided to try somewhere else after this experience. There are much better dive outfits in Dubrovnik. Avoid this one.

10  Thank Mark S