Franciscan Monastery
$79.07*
Dubrovnik Museums Tour
Ranked #28 of 183 things to do in Dubrovnik
More attraction details
Owner description: This 14th-century church and monastery contains a pharmacy museum and a world-renowned collection of ancient manuscripts.
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Leave the modern city behind and visit the cloisters and rooms of the oasis of prayer and community. The garden and the frescoes give you an idea of old Dubrovnik and it's role through the centuries. When you walk the Old City Walls, you will be able to appreciate the extensive property this monastery occupies within the walls.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

When entering the Old Town from through the Pile Gate immediately to your left and as part of a larger complex is the first part of the Franciscan Monastery. Behind this façade lies a large monastery with a central landscaped square. Above is a bell tower which catches the eye immediately. This can be accessed from the Stradun near the Onophrian Fountain and is well worth a trip inside to see its beauty. This building is also highly visible from the City Walls and forms a further part of the city's historic past. Another superb sight of the Old Town.

1  Thank SteveJacksonnufc
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Such beautiful architecture. The pharmacy is very interesting, make sure you look for the hole in the outside wall (marked and covered with glass) where the mortar came in during the siege. The wall across from it also has a large dent in it where the mortar hit.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have been doing accounting for 35 years & was an auditor for many of those years. I am attuned to many of the accounting "tricks" to pocket money. The ticket taker purposely tried to cheat us. I paid for one tickte, he gave us the receipt & then,was counting the coins out for another ticket so wasn't so fast at this. When I finished, I asked for the other receipt. He said no I gave you two. I KNEW he did not & asked my husband to show it to him. When he saw I was right, he gave us another. But I knew he was doing this on purpose to pocket the money. Since this was the second monastery this day that tried to pocket the money, we knew that this was something that is commonly done in DBV. So beware! Make sure you get a receipt!

On a whole, I was not impressed with Dubrovnik & felt it was a big tourist ripoff. They were definitely out for the tourist buck everywhere you went. I hated the crowds of people & didn't like DBV at all- I took an almost instant dislike to it & my opinion did not change during the 3 days we were there. Go elsewhere!

We enjoyed the monastery but having been cheated twice in the same day was too much.

The fee was too high for what we saw so I would not recommend going here. Go to the walls & cable car & that's it for DBV.

1  Thank DianeER
Reviewed October 10, 2013

A visit to the Monastery is a must while visiting the old city of Dubrovnik. The Cloisters alone are absolutely lovely and calming but the exhibits are also worth a visit, with a few very special pieces of arts as well.