Hotel Lapad
$214
$162
Agoda.com
2,326 results
All reviewslovely hotelthe busold townnew marinayacht clubglass doorside sea viewgruz harbourships dockturn left out of the hotelsmall balconypool areasuperior roomhalf boardturn rightevening buffetbars and restaurants
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed here from the 23rd until the 30th of June. The hotel just about deserves its 4 stars, but the gushing reviews on here leave me baffled. The staff were civil and occasionally friendly, which I think is fair enough, if not especially welcoming.However, the service wasn't the best. The restaurant was often so full people couldn't find seats. I always had to wait for coffee in the morning and had to ask for a refill. Service in the bar was so poor that on a couple of occasions we left without being served.

The worst aspect of the hotel was the food. Whilst there was a reasonable choice at breakfast the food was almost always stone cold. However, the dinners were the real disappointment. Arrive within the first two hours of service and you'll get the salads etc. Any later than that and they've gone and they are not re-stocked. The warm food (and it was barely warm) is probably the most bland I've ever eaten; Close your eyes and I doubt you'd be able to tell what type of grilled meat you were eating. Every day the menu was more or less the same: Grilled pork escalope; grilled beef steak; something in a tasteless sause; basic pasta and sauce; grilled fish and tasteless vegetables (although you could taste the chlorine from the tap water they'd been boiled in). The whole canteen area smelt like a school dining hall and was without doubt the worst buffet dinner I've ever endured. I accept buffet meals have their limitations, but even making allowances for that I was disappointed. So much so that after five days we couldn't take it any more and decided to pay extra to eat out. So, if you're going to book I'd recommend you go for B&B or room only.

The rooms were fine with the exception of the balcony, which could only accommodate one chair. The standard of housekeeping and cleanliness was first class, so if you're going to tip anyone I'd save it for the cleaners. The pool area was fairly limited for space, but we just paid for loungers on Lapad Beach which was much nicer anyway. Do ask for directions to the pedestrian area and beach because it's one of the nicest parts of Dubrovnik, but no-one seems to mention it (partly because they want you to go on the excursions instead). The first time you go you're best turning left out of the hotel and follow the road along the harbour and then up the hill on a left bend. When you reach the top of the hill you'll see the tree lined promenade that leads to the beach straight ahead of you (there is a faster way up an alley, but you'll soon find that).

Final notes: This isn't the best hotel for younger people. I'd say over 85% of the guests were 60yrs +, so the place did have a rather sedate vibe. Also, if you book with Thomson be aware that the "private transfer' they gush about in the brochure is in fact a shared taxi.

All in all we did enjoy ourselves and I think that our sense of anticlimax was due in part to the hyped reviews on Tripadvisor, which simply oversold the quality of the hotel. Although, just to be clear the food really was dreadful.

2  Thank S K
HotelLapad, Guest Relations at Hotel Lapad, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear MrHappyPreston,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments about your recent stay.

We appreciate your positive feedback about the first class of housekeeping and cleanliness and your overall enjoyable stay.

Our guest's opinion is really important as it allows us to constantly review our standards and procedures.

On the other hand we are really disappointed to read that service and quality of your breakfast and dinner didn't live up to your expectations.

We offer great selection of food that is fresh and daily prepared. I am sorry that you did not contact us during your stay.
Our restaurant staff is always on hand to suit our guest's special requirements. I am sure they would have found something according to your taste.

The great majority of the comments regarding the service and food quality have been met with positive reviews from our clients so far.

We are really sorry you didn't have such a pleasant and memorable experience while staying in Lapad like many our guests.

With kind regards,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have just returned from a week at the Hotel Lapad and we loved the hotel. It was lovely and clean and felt like everything was new. The staff spoke English brilliantly and were all friendly and helpful, service in the bar was excellent. It was in a great location by the harbour, about a ten minute leisurely walk to the strip of restaurants in Lapad. Getting to the old town was very easy by taxi but there are other ways of getting there, we only went once though as everything we needed was in Lapad. The pool was lovely, perfectly clean and a welcome relief when sunbathing! On the first night we had an a la carte meal at the hotel by the pool and it was fantastic, one of the best meals we had. I'd highly recommend this hotel as a base while visiting Dubrovnik.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelLapad, Guest Relations at Hotel Lapad, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Anita S,

Thank you for your very kind review and for mentioning friendly and helpful staff and excellent service.
We are happy that our great location by the harbour enabled you to explore Dubrovnik.
We appreciate you highly recommend Hotel Lapad and we would love to welcome you again.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

What can you say about Hotel Lapad other than it is beautiful, my husband and I spent a week here from 23rd to 30th June,we were in room 625. The room was perfect,the balcony was small but had an amazing view and this part of the hotel has been cleverly designed to keep the character of the original building and lets be honest you don't go on holiday to sit on the balcony,the room was spotless. The meals were very nice we stayed half board and found plenty of choice for breakfast and dinner and it was lovely to sit on the terrace after dinner with our Gin and Tonic.All the staff are wonderful; but you wouldn't expect anything else in Croatia the more I go to this country the more I feel the need to return; especially the gentleman in the dining room who kept us updated with the Wimbledon news and I apologise for not remembering his name.The only criticism we have is that the entertainment was a little bit bland although we did enjoy the nights when the Trio were performing. The area surrounding the hotel is lovely and not too far from a very nice beach and of course the beautiful old town of Dubrovnik. What a magical place to be, I would like to finish by saying a very big thankyou to all the hardworking staff.Tthere are so many places to see in Croatia but I would like to think that one day we will return to the beautiful Hotel Lapad.

1  Thank chiller01

Dear chiller01,

Thank you so much for this fantastic review of the Hotel Lapad.

It's a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the amazing view from the perfect room in our beautiful hotel.
We appreciate your comments about our wonderful staff who are all very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

With kindest regards,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Brilliant hotel, immaculately clean, fantastic helpful staff. Breakfast was excellent with more than enough choice to suit everyone. Location was excellent with buses and boats available right in front of the hotel.Perfect hotel for relaxation but ideally situated for sightseeing. We stayed for 10 days/11 nights and the room was spacious and comfortable and kept spotless by the staff. Yes the balcony only really had room for 1 chair but we were always out and about during the day seeing one of the many islands or headed off to the beautiful old town of Dubrovnik. We found everything very reasonably priced verging on the cheap. Obviously aimed at tourists but very little in the way of 'tacky' souvenirs. Very impressed by quality of goods. Croatians are the friendliest people it has been my pleasure to meet when on holiday. Clean streets, minimal graffiti, and clean toilets. Croatia on the whole is a beautiful country and really make the tourists feel welcome. They could show us Brits a thing or two about hygiene and cleanliness. I would thoroughly recommend a visit to this lovely land for your next holiday. Visit to the old town is a must, as are the island cruises

Room Tip: We asked for a twin room which had plenty of space. Good a/c too.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank suey1160
HotelLapad, Guest Relations at Hotel Lapad, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear suey1160,

We are so grateful for such a lovely review about our brilliant hotel.
It's always nice to read that our guests are satisfied and that they appreciate the high level of service we aim to offer our guests.
We look forward to your return visit.

With kind regards,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Lovely hotel, fabulous staff, really good restaurant, air-con and wifi throughout. We are sharp to criticise when short changed but this hotel rang all the right bells. The country and the people were so nice and friendly. Very unlike the east end of the Med. As some famous General said I (we) shall return.

1  Thank nicoandromy

Dear nicoandromy,

It was a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that our lovely hotel, fabulous staff and good restaurants met your expectations.
We would be delighted to welcome you back.

Best regards,