“Beautiful hotel, fantastic location”
Review of Villa Dubrovnik

Villa Dubrovnik
Ranked #1 of 68 Hotels in Dubrovnik
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Beautiful modern hotel, set into the cliffs. Exceptionally friendly, welcoming staff.

Every room has a balcony and sea view and our bed was one of the most comfortable we've ever slept in!

It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the old town if you feel energetic, but the hotel offer a free minibus shuttle (last collection at 11pm). There is an indoor pool and a seating area outside for the summer months. Apparently there is a small private beach although we didn't see this and couldn't work out where it was as it is rocky outside the hotel down to the sea.

The weather was a bit too cold when we visited to make use of the outdoor areas including bar (which I imagine would be fantastic in the summer). and so we made use of the spa instead which offers many different treatments - prices on par with the UK, a bit steeper than we had expected, but well worth it!

A beautiful hotel for a treat, we would recommend this for couples and not really for families with small children. We can't fault it!

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views and the bar closed at 11pm so noise was never an issue.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mirna L, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Dear Guests,
We are really glad that you had a nice vacation in Villa Dubrovnik! In a summer time everything is much nicer and outdoor areas provide an absolutely beautiful feeling of romance. I would really like to host you again to experience a real summer charm of Dubrovnik and Villa Dubrovnik!
Kind regards

Reviewed April 19, 2012

In October of last year my family and I visited the lovely town of Dubrovnik. We stayed at Villa Dubrovnik, which turned out to be one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever visited. The location was perfect and the service impeccable. It was a great combination of the old Mediterranean and modern comfort. The employees were very professional and friendly. I would definitely go back. My family and I loved it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Mirna L, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Dear Mrs.Valerie,
I would like to thank you for your kind review! All Villa Dubrovnik team is really honored that you had such a nice time here with us and that you enjoyed all of our services!
It would be our great pleasure to welcome you again in Villa Dubrovnik!

With my best regards,

Mirna Loncar Strazicic

An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed April 9, 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler
Mirna L, General Manager at Villa Dubrovnik, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

Reviewed December 23, 2011

Villa Dubrovnik - were to start?
Is the most amazing top class hotel.
As you arrive to the modern lift set into the wall over looking the sea you wouldn't know there was even a hotel there, you disappear and come out to a cool glass walk way and past reception you can see out to the sea. We're led down another glass lift to our room. Which is magnificent I ran around it and jumped on the bed I was so excited. the view was incredible, you can brush your teeth in the bathroom and over look the sea.
They have bvlgari products in the bathroom. The comfiest bed ever.
My sister was in the room next door and they had a jacuzzi on their balcony.
As you wander around this hotel it's more like a work of art. The designs and refurbishments have been done increadabley well.
The swimming pool is great and you can get some goods excersize in it.
Then afterwards you can sit and chill out on the day beds.
I had a spa treatment over 3 hours and I came out feeling wonderful.
The only thing I would add is that I was wandering around half dressed in the communal area and then some men walked in they had told me to shower there after my treatment so that surprised me a little they should of let me know.
The lovely personal trainer does stretching down by the pool in the morning with guests. It was such a lovely thing to do over looking the ocean.
Dinner we all enjoyed it but they do have the ingredients of Italy with out the flair of the italian way of cooking to keep the dishes simplistic and use the ingredients well. They do tend to go for fusion cuisine, play around with combinations so this can either go very well or just a dudd dish as we encountered with room service which wasn't great at all. Which surprised us as breakfast in the hotel was excellent.
Our favourite was the rocket, smoked salmon, cream cheese and capers. It was so fresh and so tasty. I'd never tried this combination before for breakfast. It worked so well, the rocket tasted like it had been picked that morning.
Drinks on the roof top in the evening over looking the roof tops turn terracotta/ orange colour as the sun bounces off them.
The sun loungers by the ocean where such a treat, we got canoes out and took them down this whole stretch of coast line and did not see a better hotel.
There is a pretty beach perfect for swimming with a cool vibe if you come out of the hotel lift and turn right and slightly down the hill. The beach cafe serves lovely reasonably priced food.
The boat is like a limo into town really it even has the hotels name embezzled into the cream leather chairs. It's a very lovely way to arrive in town and everyone looks at you in the port. Then after dinner in town it's a 10 / 15 minute road straight back to the hotel if you fancy a stroll back.
You pay for it as its not cheap but I don't mind paying for it when it's top and this place blew me away.

• Stayed: August 2011
10  Thank IlliterateFoodCritic
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed here for 6 nights from the 9th October. We arranged for the hotel to send a driver to the airport to collect us so had an easy transfer to the hotel. The first impressions of the hotel are great, the hotel was only reopened after renovation last year and has been brilliantly decorated. Very modern, lots of dark woods, chrome and glass with ambient lighting. We had an executive suite which is a larger room with a jacuzzi on the balcony. The bed is massive and really comfortable. The views from all the rooms are directly over the sea and with views to the island of Lokrum and the Old Town.

The breakfasts are great with a good choice such as omelettes, eggs Benedict, smoked salmon, cheeses and pancakes. We didn't eat in the main restaurant but we did have room service on a couple of nights. The food was very tasty, perfectly cooked fillet steak and a great juicy burger. We ordered items from the restaurant menu rather than the room service menu and the staff were happy to accommodate that. The cocktail menu is very good and there is a great wine list. In general, we found Croatian wine to be excellent. A special mention must go to the young barman who loves to make different cocktails, he was as enthusiastic about making cocktails as I am at drinking them!!

We didn't use the Spa facilities but made plenty of use of the pool. There are lots of places to sit outside and lots of sunloungers dotted around.

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the Old Town, there is a path for most of it but even when you are walking on the road, it is a very quiet road with little traffic so perfectly safe to walk. In any event, you can arrange for the hotel to drive you there and there is a taxi rank just before the Old Town to get back.

Overall, we had a fantastic time, this is a very relaxing hotel in a beautiful setting. We would normally spend every day sightseeing but enjoyed chilling out with cocktails and admiring the view too much.

The only minor dislikes I had were:
The extractor fan in the bathroom cannot be turned off so you can hear it at night.
The bathroom has a big glass window which for privacy you can cover with the curtain. at the front but not at the side. However, if you are sitting on the bed, there is a mirror opposite the bathroom so you can still see into the bathroom. I like complete privacy in the bathroom.

Otherwise, I would definitely recommend this hotel for a luxury break. It's not cheap but for a special occasion or a treat it is perfect.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank ChristallW
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Sunning position, great new build but so many problems and few staff, made this hotel a poor but expensive mistake. positive ponts : the bell boy, the view, the bed, negavite points, no where to put the soap in the shower, with insistance one was found and put in the shower that night but with real reluctance, no hairdryer, 2 hours to get an evening meal few staff given as the reason by the food and beverage manager!, the room door didn't lock, the drains smelt not sure what it would be like in then height of summer!, A top floor bar with no staff, breakfast debris not cleared away promptly, bed linen and table clothes so poorly ironed that it would have been better not to put them on bed/ tables.
Nice little veneitian launch that take you to the habour but unless you were 100% fit and liked to jump down half a metre into the boat from the jetty it isn't the best way to get to the old harbour. I suspect this is not in line with EU regs for providing access to facilities.
Nice swimming pool but not many sun loungers unless you want to sit on concrete by the sea. Food was not 5 star quality no fresh milk, only cheap UHT milk - actually the cheapest you can get in the supermarket. Much better quality food in the town. Rooms cleaned in record time!
It has the appeareance of a hotel that isn't going to stay in business too much longer- scrim on staff, make staff unhappy scrimp on detail not a five star experience. We wanted a drink around 6pm one evening went to the downstairs bar to find it all in darkness, evenyually found a member of staffwho apologies that there were no staff! 2 lots of management in 2 years no a good sign. A hotel to be avoided unless there is a major shift in customer care and service.
Over priced and don't stay, if you have to for more than one night.

Room Tip: forget the room find a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
11  Thank yb1uk
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Besides the spectacular location/views, gorgeous design and sense of blissful serenity & romance that many have already commented on... it is the high level of service and management's focus on ensuring that every guest's experience is memorable that really shines for me. You have to expect that this property will attract some serious egos (euphemism for difficult guests with 'entitlement issues') and I have to say that the few tantrums we witnessed were handled discretely and impeccably by management.

I agree with some of the other comments - this should remain a child-free hotel. No offence, but I think that parents understand the need for 'escape', so leave the kids at home for this one (or do the right thing and choose a 'family hotel'). It's just not fair on the vast majority of the guests who choose this premium property as a relaxing and quiet escape.

Breakfasts on the terrace are a highlight - the food is fantastic and, quite frankly, I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a better place to sit in the whole of Dubrovnik to enjoy your morning espresso.

That said, I was disappointed by the dinner menu - but I think this is a cultural issue rather than a fault of the hotel. The menu is a concoction of over-engineered dishes with too many complicated tastes, textures and flavours (in the one dish) ... to me a hangover from the 80s. Premium food, to me, is simple food with the best ingredients, cooked perfectly. While presentation is important, everything's just a little OTT on the dinner menu (in order to justify the price premium, I think). That said, I saw some very happy diners enjoying their meals that evening, so take this as a subjective point of view.

If we return to Dubrovnik, I will definitely place this hotel at the top of my list... you simply can't beat it :-)

Room Tip: I think the rooms on Level 4 have the clearest views out over the sea... we stayed in 409 and it was...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple