We've just spent a wonderful week at the Grand Villa Argentina, and I can't believe that the negative reviewers stayed at the same hotel!
We thought the location, to the east of the old city, is much better than that of hotels set on the main road west of the city near the very busy bus station and taxi ranks. Along the road leading from the hotel to the Old City there's the museum of modern art, a folklore concert centre, car rental offices, a small tourist point, a post office and post box, an ATM, a mini market, bread shop, postcard shops. It's also conveniently situated for the old port, where you can get boats to the island of Lokrum (well worth exploring), the town of Cavtat along the coast, and excursion boats to the bigger islands.
Dubrovnik is the most beautiful city, and the Argentina made our holiday perfect. We had a very pleasant room in the modern hotel and were lucky to have a corner balcony, with views over part of the garden and along the coast. Room cleaning, towel and toiletries replacement was exemplary. Some rooms do overlook the terrace restaurant, which partially obscures the sea view, but there are such fabulous views from the restaurants and gardens that this didn't matter, and we were never disturbed by noise.
We really appreciated the calm and tranquil atmosphere, very helpful reception staff, with excellent English (a special thank you to Kristina for going to the trouble of phoning for bus times); delightful waiting staff, some with very good English; excellent breakfasts, with a huge choice, served on a terrace with sea and city views. We had a good meal at the Victoria restaurant on our first evening, but there are so many good restaurants in Dubrovnik that we wanted to try.
We loved the beautiful gardens, laid out on terraces, linked by steps ( there's a bonus to those steps you know - toned thighs!) and planted with tall palms and cypresses, fragrant pine trees with wonderful twisting curving trunks, oleanders, bougainvillea and masses of Pittosporum tobira shrubs, which have the most fabulously fragrant creamy white flowers in early summer. There are quiet, shady corners to sit - absolutely delightful.
We always managed to get loungers in the scrupulously clean pool area, (admittedly it was September, so maybe not as busy as high season) and enjoyed having direct access to sea swimming - this is not a sandy beach coast and there are only a few hotels with their own "beach".
... and a final note about Dubrovnik - the public and restaurant toilets were the cleanest we have ever seen - there was always hot water, soap and towels or hand driers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Villa Argentina is Dubrovnik’s traditional luxury address, combining exclusivity and attention to detail with spectacular views of the sea, backdropped by pine tree-clad mountains. This five-star hotel in Dubrovnik has a regal, old-world charm. Just minutes from the Old Town, it has been an exclusive enclave in the city for nearly 60 years. Sitting on a steep cliffside, leading down to the sea, the views of the Adriatic stretch from the island of Lokrum round to the old harbour of Dubrovnik. As soon as you walk into the hotel reception, the incredible scenery stops you in your tracks. Lush gardens, with stone fences and secluded corners in which to sit, are filled with lemon, wild orange, rosemary, lavender and bay leaf plants – the flavours of a Mediterranean kitchen. Whether you’re sunbathing on the private beach, with its seaside pool, dining on the restaurant terraces or quietly reading your book in the gardens, spectacular scenery follows you wherever you go. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Villa Argentina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Villa Argentina Hotel Dubrovnik
- Grand Hotel Argentina
- Grand Hotel Dubrovnik
- Hotel Argentina Dubrovnik
- Villa Argentina Dubrovnik