“Perfect Location, Great Host”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #94 of 183 Dubrovnik B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Our first visit to Dubrovnik, and the perfect place to stay. We could walk every where we wanted to go and received great advice from Srdjan on dining, tours and even a SIM card for our phone. Having a coffee with Srdjan in his office (cafe down stairs) when we arrived set the tone for a great 3 days in Dubrovnik. We cannot emphasis the location enough, within metres of the front door are bankomat, cafe/bar, super market, tour shop, laundromat, hire car, beach, restaurant, bakery and old town.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debndug
Dubrovnikbandb, Owner at Dubrovnik Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Mrs. and Mr. S.

Thank You for Your kind words. Both Srdjan and I hope to accommodate You again.

Kind regards.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Dubrovnik B&B was not what I expected from a B&B. What I normally get from a B&B is a relaxed setting, fairly comfortable rooms and freedom to chat casually with the owners about the surroundings. We stayed three nights here.

Rooms:
- Pro - Bed/Sheets clean
- Con
1. Very basic - we had room 4 - up two very steep flight of stairs. Do not expect help carrying suit cases upstairs. The stairs are slippery and dangerous.
2. Bring your own Shampoo - I fully expected any B&B / Hotel should supply shampoo and soap. Only liquid hand soap supplied, when I asked the response was 'you can buy at pharmacy next door'
3. Noise - Next to our room was a small landing, only place for owner to talk to others. We could hear everything from our room. Conversations with other guests one morning, the next is someone doing laundry and talking right by our door. This was very loud.
4. We could see outside from our small window, but shutters where bolted due to 'safety reasons', so we did not have a 'view' without peering through slits.
5. We did not have hot water on day 1. This was fixed next day, but water did not remain hot for long enough for two showers.
6. Bathroom very small, the sink is almost above the toilet.

Setting:
- Pro - Location is great, it is at the Polce gate.
- Con:
1. Cafe/bar right next door, so late at night, going back there were always people hanging around right at the door as you are going back to the B&B.
2. Some street noise late at night.

Owners:
- Pro - Srdan is very knowledgable about Dubrovnik. He is quick to respond to questions / concerns.
- Con
1. Srdan is very knowledgable but seemed uninterested to our needs. Upon arrival, post long flight and day, he brought us up to landing. It was 'now I will tell you about things to do', followed by 'now I will give you restaurant recommendations', by 'it is raining tomorrow - so this is what you do'. At no point did he ask what we wanted to see. Or even if we knew about the city at all. Prior to arrival I read multiple books on the area and had more specific questions. It would have been nice to understand our starting point. It made me feel that he has a set speech for everyone and he was set on giving it.
2. The only way to reach him was knocking on the door to his private apartments, midway up a steep flight of stairs. Then he follows you up landing and converse. It is a bit awkward as you know all other apartments can hear your conversation.

Dubrovnik is beautiful. Next time I will either get apartment inside old town or hotel farther by. This is not a Bed & Breakfast. This is a basic room.

Oh there is also no breakfast - but you can tell that from website and other reviews.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Luyuan C
Dubrovnikbandb, Owner at Dubrovnik Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

This business we are in is very ungrateful from time to time. You bend over backwards to accommodate someone and still get something like this.

Miss. Luyuan came to stay with us with her boyfriend. She didn't make the reservation. Boyfriend did. They were attending a wedding, not their own. Maybe that fact contributed to this review.

TripAdvisor tells me I should write a response, but I am not sure what to reply to this.

What can one write in reply when the persons writes that the room was clean, location excellent, host very knowledgeable and willing to share information but still gives such a poor score ?

Or when one thinks that centuries old stone building, few steps from the Old Town is not under protection (UNESCO) and that we are allowed to take down walls and make bigger windows.
Well, the house is under protection and we are not allowed change it.

Although our windows are very big for Dubrovnik's standards.

Anyway, I am glad Miss. Luyuan finds Dubrovnik beautiful and that she will return. To a place with shampoo. When she does and if there will not be a shampoo (and hair conditioner ; she did ask for that also) in the room, I ask her to walk to us and we will give her few bottles.

Srdjan Gizdic

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Visiting Dubrovnik was a blessed privilege. Having selected Dubrovnik B&B versus a hotel was intimidating at first, but reviews and location convinced us to give it a try. In short, OUTSTANDING!!!!! We are seasoned travelers and this was by far one of the best choices we've made. The B&B is SUPERB, but more importantly proprietor Srdan Gizdic took painstaking care and detail of our needs and apprehensions, walking us through insight and knowledge that made our 5 day stay feel like we where locals - with tips and shortcuts that spared us any anxiety and enriched our experience, akin to having family. Location is unparalleled (check our room view pic) and a significant advantage and respite for this strictly walking destination. We would not stay anywhere else. Period. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sierragu
Dubrovnikbandb, Owner at Dubrovnik Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Dear Stephan.

Thank You very much for Your kind words. I am very glad that Srdjan was a good host and that You have enjoyed Your stay in Dubrovnik. We both hope to accommodate You again, soon.

Dragan Gizdic

Reviewed August 5, 2012

The location of this B&B is unbeatable and this was the best part about this place for us. Across from Ploce Gate (entry into the Old Town), bakery, supermarket and short walk to the beach. There is a great little restaurant up behind it too where we ate frequently - lovely food. The rooms are clean, spacious and simple and there is a balcony coming off the foyer area from where you get beautiful views of the water. We didn't have a view from room but having it there at all was a bonus. Plus good air-con. Great accommodation for the price. If I had to point out any negatives I would say that the showers are not great, they are quite small and the hot water is extremely hot. Despite it being called a B&B there was no breakfast. The host Srjdan was always willing to help out with pointing out things on the map, he offered to have coffee with us and give us driving directions and was always available when we had questions on the area. Perfect accommodation if you just want something easy to get to after a long day of seeing the sights.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alicia444
Dubrovnikbandb, Owner at Dubrovnik Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Dear Alicia.

Thank You for Your kind words. I am glad You had nice time in our house and that Srdjan was a good host.
You did not come to us via internet and that is why You did not see our "Breakfast page. http://www.dubrovnikbedandbreakfast.com/accommodation/breakfast.htm

Srdjan and I both hope to accommodate Sam and Yourself again.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

It is true that you will not find a more ideal location in the entire city than Dubrovnik B&B. The views from the room windows and balconies are amazing. The building itself is even recognizable on many of the stunning paintings and illustrations you will find for sale around the city, which makes these items very special mementos. The excellent location and views are what redeemed this place for us.

The first major negative of Dubrovnik B&B is the fact that B&B is in the name...therein lies the problem. Yes, there is a disclaimer on the website that states that breakfast is optional (never explicitly states that you have to pay for it), but if the owners were conscientious, they would change the name to be something more logical. We did go to the recommended breakfast place and received wonderful service and breakfast from Drago.

The negatives of this place were heavy and very nearly soured our experience in Dubrovnik. As I'm sure the owner will come on here and blame our displeasure on the fact that "we came to the place in a bad mood," I am happy to report that Dubrovnik was the last leg of our amazing European adventure which we were blessed to find absolutely no problems with until this.

Upon arrival, we immediately felt as though we were imposing on the owner and felt very unwelcome. He seemed to have something negative to say about every topic of conversation that came up as he was showing us the place and talking about the city. Everything from insults about us being Americans to trying to him telling me my iPhone was inferior to a PC (what?) Overall, the owner simply seemed to look down upon us and see us as a way to make a quick buck. The room was very clean yet VERY sparse. A very few simple touches would have done wonders for the place, such as replacing the disposable soap dispenser every few months.

He did recommend a good itinerary for our time in Dubrovnik and we appreciated that a lot, although I have a feeling most of the recommended restaurants were just owned by his friends, not the best food in town.

I would not choose to stay at this place again based on my experience, but would not necessarily try to sway others from trying it out. The location can't be beat, but the general disdain for customers was enough to keep me away forever. Other people seemed to really enjoy the owner, so perhaps he acts differently to people depending on....? Nationality? I really don't know, but to each his own.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Barcelona N
Dubrovnikbandb, Owner at Dubrovnik Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

I was hopping that I will never again hear from Mr. C. T. , but I was wrong.
Some people just lie too much. It started even before Mr. T. arrived with email communication. Then in person to Srdjan and at the end, here.

Even his TripAdvisor login information is false in some part. Amazing.

Many false parts of this review can be easily refute. Like breakfast fee. Our pricelist page did not change for years and that can be easily seen on archive.org
I also always write all the costs in my emails. I will not go on with citing lies.

I am glad Mr. T (he did travel alone ; in July, not March) thinks our location is excellent and the room are clean. That is important to us. I am also glad he liked Srdjan's and mine recommendations. Srdjan lives in Dubrovnik most of his life and he does not cook. It natural that he knows where one should eat. Well and affordable.

The worst lie of them all is that we have some sort of prejudice against Americans. Many of our guests are Americans and more then half reviews here are from Americans.
We respect all our guest and even it is very individual, we find Americans more open then most.

This answer is written will little more zest, because when one writes that we discriminate on nationality basis, we take that very serious in Croatia.

I will sign my words.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Top class location. Host is extremely customer-focused and had many useful tips about how to make the most out of our visit. Rooms simple, clean, and comfortable. Air conditioning was appreciated! Only downside was lugging suitcases up steep stairs. But that is a fairly minor point (for me at least), and I would absolutely recommend this property to anyone visiting Dubrovnik.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Michael O
Dubrovnikbandb, Owner at Dubrovnik Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Dear Michael.

Thank You. I am glad You had nice time in Dubrovnik and that You have liked my tips.
I hope to accommodate You again.

Srdjan Gizdic

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We (group of 10 in 5 rooms) stayed for 5 nights and loved the place! When our taxis pulled up we couldn't believe how close to the gate we were - directly across the road. We were warmly welcomed by Srdan who explained all we needed to know with lots of helpful recommendations. Our rooms on the second floor were all identical, clean, basic, small shower - plenty of hot water and as it turned out comfortable beds. Only drawbacks very tiny towels, and able to hear when someone was in the bathroom next door - not a real drama though. Breakfast is not provided but directly across the road is a restaurant on the water that serves a good reasonably priced breakfast. Also across the road is a small supermarket and a bakery, right behind the B & B is a laundry mat - which was extremely handy. We would all thoroughly recommend this place for it's location.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms all the same, keep windows shut keep outside noise out. Not much you can do abou...