“Great food, nice venue & attentive staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Restaurant Amfora

Restaurant Amfora
Ranked #22 of 365 Restaurants in Dubrovnik
Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean, European, Croatian, Fusion
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Creative Dalmatian/Mediterranean Cuisine in an elegant setting. We offer fresh sea food, homemade pasta and great steaks from our charcoal grill set in our open kitchen. Only 3 restuarants in the area are certified to sell blue fin tuna and we are one of them. And we know how to prepare it ;)
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, nice venue & attentive staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

I don't write reviews often but having used Trip Advisor to find a decent restaurant in Dubrovnik, I feel compelled to add to the glowing reports this restaurant has received already.

We were greeted warmly by the waiting staff who were attentive without being pushy. To start with the homemade bread was very good, not like the dry stuff a lot of restaurants hand out, plus there was no limit, we had two full baskets between my girlfriend and I. Everything on the menu looked amazing, we decided to share a falafel salad as we'd already spied the chocolate soufflé on the desert menu, but to be honest there was plenty on the plate for two servings anyway. The salad was fresh and full of herbs that had been picked from the wall mounted hanging baskets we were sitting next to. Then for main I had a beautifully cooked fillet of sea bass, presented well with fresh mussels and king prawns, shredded carrot and courgette on a bed of polenta. I don't see the point in polenta myself but that's my problem, not the restaurants - the meal itself was was stunning.

The chocolate soufflé was definitely worth saving room for and this was accompanied by some complementary homemade desert wine which was a great end to a lovely meal.

Having enjoyed some ordinary food in the old town it was great to have some food that had had some thought put into the process and presentation. The old town isn't expensive by British standards, but this was even more reasonably priced and to my mind much better quality. I would definitely recommend anyone staying in Dubrovnik venturing out that little bit further (10 mins bus, that's all) to find Gruz. We've had our two best meals at restaurants in this town with Anfora definitely the jewel in the crown for me.

Visited June 2014

• Serbian first
  • Turkish first
“Best meal in Dubrovnik”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

We visited Restaurant Amfora this evening and enjoyed our meal on the lovely first floor outdoor terrace. The service was outstanding, both waiters were friendly and we were made to feel extremely welcome. The food was delicious. We were offered basket after basket of complimentary homemade warm bread which was very tasty. The whole experience was faultless, would highly recommend this restaurant as it was by far the best dining experience we've had during our stay in Dubrovnik.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank J J
“Restaurant Amfora - great discovery by rec from our host!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

My girlfriend and I, we were staying in an apartment inside the City Walls. After a week of our holiday we noticed that all the restaurants offer more or less the similar Medirranen dishes and most of them are expensive and not really something that special to justify the prices. Another thing that we didn't like there is that some of the Old streets are full of restaurants with loads of tables crammed one next to each with loads of people so they lacked on privacy and sometimes all those smells from different restaurants mixed up in the air and spoiled our current dish. Also there are constantly people passing by which is bit irritating when you try to enjoy your meal and you have no sense of privacy. There are few restaurants that were recommended as the best ones and luxurios like Proto but when we saw the prices we just gave up on it and usually ate at the Old city port and one of the restaurants at the market square.

The funny thing is that we found out about restaurant Amfora from my apartment's owner when we asked her to recommend us some other place that would be different for a change.

We found it really easy using bus 1A that literally left us almost in front of the restaurant which is outside Old City in the new part of Dubrovnik (where all those cruisers dock). We very greeted very warmly by their personel and one of the waiters suggested which place would be best for us. He took us to a covered but open terrace on the floor above and even though he was our designated waiter for the dinner, his colleagues didn't mind at all helping us out in case we needed something in between. They are so concentraded of making their customers happy, we really felt papmered. The name of waiter was Emlar (I am sure I didn't write it correct as it was very unusual) and he was such a charming young men so we need to mention him.

My girflfriend is originally from Spain and she was so happy to able to talk with him Spanish which took us totally by surprise! His English is also very good as well of his colleague waiters. He served us an aperitif which we expected to be grapa like in all the restaurants but it was actually 2 great homemade! liquers, one from nut and the other from jujube. They were so strong and sweet but they were great...we shared each before the dinner. And we got it for free!

Emlar recommended us a really good red wine called 'Dingac'. The bottle was more than 30 euros but it was worth every cent. Our dish was 'ribe eye steak' that was nicely served on a special wooden plate', as well a little pricey but spending a lot of time in the Old city restaurants, all in all I believe this place was cheaper which it makes it even more amazing considering we really didn't expect it to be so good.

Emlar suggested 'chocolate sufflet' which is supposedly the most famous dessert in this restaurant at least by all the raving reviews from their previous guests. We were already full but we couldn't resist the nice but not a pushy recommendation, so we ordered only one portion which was more than enough to top up the evening.

This restaurant is a bit more expensive than average but after our experince there we think it was definitely worth the money and I don't think there is anything similar like it in Dubrovnik area. Because of it's uniqueness of dishes I would recommend it to everyone who want to taste something new and because it is great value for money with great service of their trained staff.

P.S. chatting with another couple at the nearby table, we found out that this restaurant has been for a long time #1 on Trip Advisor. At the moment it is 5th but we really think it should go up, so I have decided to write my review here which is not something I usually like to do as I go into too much detailes...but if I can help to move it to the 4th place I will be happy to help as they totally deserve it!

This is my first review on Trip Advisor as Istarted using it just recently for the purpose of this trip (I haven't had a chance to go on a proper holiday for many years due to a lot of work). But I started to love this site to use it to discover what people think of local restaurants. From now on I will start paying attention as well to restaurants that are not so highly ranked as well, since Amfora showed us it doesn't have to be on the 1st place to be a hidden gem that could have been easily overlooked.

I will recommend it to my friend's who go on a cruise next summer to surely visit it!

Higly recommended!

Brandon

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank Brandon F
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding meal, great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I had gone the night before to the Otto Taverna and thought that was excellent, this place was perhaps even better. Nice terrace on the 1st floor, very friendly and attentive waiting staff. I had the Tuna Carpaccio, Wild Boar Goulash and Chocolate Fondant. A couple of beers and all for 270kn.

Outstanding value and great flavours. I may even go again tomorrow!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SHJF
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Tried to get a table on first night - fully booked. So we booked a specific table for the following night. We didn't get that table as it had been comandeered by some locals!

Food was very good and service was excellent. As usual taxis back to hotel cost £10.

Visited May 2014