“Cleanest hostel I ever visited”

Villa Divine Dubrovnik
Ranked #60 of 488 Specialty Lodging in Dubrovnik
Barcelona, Spain
“Cleanest hostel I ever visited”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights, in the double deluxe room. From our check inn we notice that this place has class.
They began with a good reception, good explanation and orientation. The room was spacious and clean, they had clean and enough WCs and showers. The common area – kitchen was great and also clean.
My impression was that the staff was happy working there and they were always helpful, even the owner that lives at the below second flat.
They try to keep everything clean and they succeeded, you will appreciate this in a hostel.
The free breakfast was great, they prepare everything, you just have to toast your bread (come on this is like in 4-5 star hotel!!!).
The 2 negative points we noticed are, the location and the price.
The location is really far from the old town, you definitely need transportation, there is a bus station 10 min walking, and this bus will take 20min to the old town. However, if you want to relax after a busy day or go to a beach then the location is great.
As for the price of this room it’s comparable to a 3 star hotel price, so you need to love hostels life style, otherwise you will end-up comparing prices.
Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: in the double deluxe room

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I spent three nights in Villa Divine. These were the last three night of my trip to Croatia and what I really needed is this hostel. It is spotless clean, bright (sun access it most of the time) and comfortable beds. The kitchen and the setting room area have a fantastic view on the sea and the port, the hostel has big windows which is so important because I don’t like dark places. The bathrooms are very clean.

A small details that is important to me the hostel has clothes hanger, so whenever I went to the beach I was able to hang my towel and swimming suit on the clothes hanger :).

The hostel is not close to the old city of Dubrovnik. However, I think it is for the best since the old city is very crowded. Yet, you have a bus that goes to the old city every 10 minute and it take 15 minutes to be there by bus.

1 Thank PiPi314
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Before I start, let me state that I am not very demanding of hostels nor spoiled in any way, but I don't appreciate false advertisement...

PROS
- very clean
- breakfast included, fair size, includes yogurt, cereal, bread, cheese, ham, and coffee. A nice value, despite it being rather bland.
- useful kitchen to cook own meals
- useful map of old town with good checkpoints

AVERAGE
- location is as advertised, about a (boring) 40 min walk to the old town, or a 15 min bus ride. The bus passed every 10 mins until about 1:30 am. You can buy tickets at any newspaper stand.

CONS
- very small rooms (2 person private ones). With two single beds placed in an "L" shape, there was very little space to navigate within the room. We ended up using one of the beds as luggage holder, as we couldn't really function otherwise.
- staff can be clueless : we had heard of a few restaurants outside of the old town, as we were trying to avoid tourist traps, and asked them how they were, but they didn't know these restaurants (even though they're in the top 5 on tripadvisor). We then asked where do locals go to eat when they eat out, but got nothing more than a blank stare and a "i dunno"... We also asked where is the spot in the old town where there is access to the water, as we wanted to take a swim outside the castle walls. Staff said it didn't exist and was illegal, despite what I had heard. We later discovered on our own that there are two cafes leading to the water, as well as an easy way to go to a little dock where there is a mini makeshift beach. You would think locals who work in tourism would know these things...
- staff can be dishonest : we asked if it was possible for them to call a taxi for us to go to their airport, to which they agreed. However, when it was time, it was a private car, or more specifically, someone who just happens to own a car. Not only that, but the fare was 250 kunas, instead of the more typical 180-200 for that distance. By that time, we didn't have sufficient time to waste so as to call a real taxi on our own, so we were forced to take it. The ride was perfectly fine, but it is unacceptable that they lie and take advantage of their customers so as to "hook up" a friend

Verdict : I wouldn't recommend this place, but if you can't find anything better, I wouldn't advise you to avoid it at all costs either.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James M
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Home away from home. Felt like a beach house with the most amazing staff. Very clean, welcoming and fun. Is out of old town which I liked but some people may not there are still bars and restaurants and supermarket in the local area. . Breakfast is generous and fresh. Couldn't rate it high enough

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank felicity m
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Villa Divine was a wonderful hostel to stay in. I stayed here for 3 nights in July. Upon arrival Anna greeted me and gave me lots of helpful information about Dubrovnik. The owners really made me feel like I was a guest in their home. They greeted all their guests by names which really impressed me.

The rooms were immaculate and clean. The view from the balcony truly stunning. Renata has a great sense of design the property is stylishly decorated. I had just spent 8 days in Croatia in hotels and Villa Divine a hostel was comparably if not better the the hotels I stayed at.

If you're looking for a comfortable stay, warm and gracious hosts definitely give Villa Divine a try.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank stylomiloSingapore
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Villa Divine is simply in a league of it's own. One phone call and Ivan was there in 5 minutes to pick us up and take us there. On arrival we met Renata and we're immediately sat down and offered a cool drink while Ivan gave us all the info about Dubrovnik and the many things to see and do. The property itself is incredible. More like a boutique guesthouse than a hostel, super modern with tasteful furnishings throughout, a balcony that overlooks the water and two communal living areas with chilled out music playing which are perfect for chilling out in the afternoon after a long day. Amazing AC and fast Wifi, everything else you could imagine needing is here. Honestly I can't imagine how it could be better. The staff are incredible and will help with booking busses and ferries as well as get info on anything else you need. Actually after I left I realised I'd left a pair of shorts there and Renata was kind enough to arrange getting them to me at our next destination! Seriously amazing. 10/10

Room Tip: Anything is good.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Myself and friend stayed at villa divine, and right from the moment we stepped through the door we felt like we were at home. the warm welcome, fresh ice cold juice on hand and sitting on the balcony unwinding from the journey we have just had. what more could you ask for. we were shown maps, and had the local area explained to us by rose (very helpful), where the beaches were, how the buses worked and local restaurants to eat at. any questions were answered etc.
the rooms were greatly decorated, the beds really comfy and the place was always clean. no issues with showers or toilets as we all seemed to take them at different times plus the water just below us, mostly we went swimming.
some helpful hints - its probably easier and less hassle if u get a taxi from pile gate up to the hostel, esp if its during the middle of the day as the short walk is a bit of a killer in the sun...if you do decide to get the no 6 bus up to the villa, the bus wont tell you when to get off. when you hop on it, it goes up the big hill, then down the other side. then it goes around the inlet of the harbour for a bit and starts to then go up the hill again. when it turns a sharp right and goes up again thats when u press the button and hop off on the bakery stop (the stops are not labeled or announced) then just follow the directions on hostel world...pretty easy!
breakfast was yummy and all you could eat. plenty of hot water, very sociable, huge tv in lounge, balcony great and can get ur washing done for 50kuna and they will hang it out and fold it for you too! best hostel experience ever!!!

Room Tip: we had a twin room so it was private for us, however, the dorm rooms only had 3 beds in them or 2 bu...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends