“Friendly, relaxing little place”
Review of Guesthouse Mary

Guesthouse Mary
Ranked #178 of 503 Specialty Lodging in Dubrovnik
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Charming little Guesthouse, very quiet and private, out of the main town, but a short easy bus ride away from Dubrovnik old town. We were greeted from the bus station which was really kind, and had a lovely stay in a spacious room with air con machine and a beautiful little balcony!
No kitchen facilities, but a fridge to keep beer and snacks in, was really useful! Lovely, freindly, family run place, perfect for a relaxing short break, a real treat and a break from the madness of hostel living! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 454Jasmine
There are newer reviews for Guesthouse Mary

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a great guesthouse for the budget traveller. The location is within walking distance of several beaches and close to a bus route that is good for the rest of the city and the old city. The rooms are clean and the facilities are adequate. There is no air conditioning in the rooms but all do have fans, although this may not be quite adequate in the heat of summer. Mary ad her family are very friendly and helpful. For a reasonable price I was picked up from the airport and during my stay I was given lifts to the old city and the bus station. On arrival I too was offered a drink and was given some advice on what to see and where to go.

A great little guesthouse with very friendly and helpful hosts.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank KCh908
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Since Dubrovnik was not a particularly attractive/available prospect at the height of the summer season I opted to stay in nearby Lapad...The Guesthouse Mary proved to be a very sound choice - On arrival I met with Mary and her son Niska and was offered a welcome drink, together with detailed information on the local area (maps/guidebooks)...Located about 3km from the 'old town' of Dubrovnik the main attractions are not too far away...Those of Lapad are all within easy walking distance and a regular bus service (no.6) runs into central Dubrovnik, from just outside the Guest House and drops passengers just outside the old town gates.

I had a clean and well-presented room with access to shared facilities, all of which were of a high standard...The room was decorated and furbished in a fresh, contemporary style and included a stand-up fan and a small desk. Note that rooms vary massively here...Larger rooms have balconies with lovely sea/land views whereas smaller rooms have a view of a rear patio that contains trees, shrubs and what appear to be assorted building materials. The rooms would all really benefit from air-conditioning, especially in the summer months...It was very difficult to sleep despite the use of a fan. The location (at the top of two of Dubrovnik's many steep hills) would also be enough to make some think twice, despite the frequency of the local bus connections...Local shops/bars/restaurants and practically all other amenities are located about 10 minutes away (downhill naturally).

During my stay Mary and her daughter Nada did my washing for me for a modest charge and also invited me to sample some fruit from their garden (which was both delicious and nutritious). The whole family were really kind and hospitable and this is what really made the difference for me...The guest house is clearly a family run business and great pride is clearly taken in the quality of the service provided to its international visitors and I genuinely felt most welcome. Overall I was a satisfied customer and would consider staying again if ever I find myself stranded in the 'Pearl of The Adriatic'...If ever I do I just hope that it's not in August.

Room Tip: See above - Go for a larger room with a balcony...I wish I had done.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MRonaldSmith
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Before few days we went to Dubrovnik and had a really nice welcome. The room and the bathroom were perfect clean. We also had a balkonie with a really nice view around Dubrovnik. As well they were good host because they look before our arrival informations together (map etc.). We were very happy with everything and would come back again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lilly M
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My family and I went to Dubrovnik for a family wedding, and as I was by myself I did not want to pay an obscene price to stay in the Lapad hotel where the rest of family were staying as a single room usually costs the same if not more that a twin/double room. I found Guesthouse Mary online and I was so surprised when I got there. I received such a warm welcome from the proprietors, who offered me drinks and fruit while I checked in. The rooms were clean and tidy, as were the bathrooms. I started in a single room, but it was so hot in there with just a fan so I asked to be moved to an air con room which they agreed to immediately. The second room was bigger and much cooler. The view from the second room was amazing. I had a small balcony, and the view at sunset of the port was lovely. Fridges were supplied in the hallways so I could put my water in there over night/ while I was out. The walk up the hill to the Guesthouse was a bit of a challenge but I was glad of it really after all the food I consumed. I found a shortcut through the local streets so I didn’t walk on the road at all. My first day I did get a bit lost trying to explore the short cut but whoever I asked for directions were more than helpful, even if they didn’t speak English. The family who runs Guesthouse Mary also gave me directions / tips regarding the area. I couldn’t have asked for a better place to stay on a budget in Dubrovnik.

Room Tip: Ask for an Air Con room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Guesthouse Mary is located at the hill and has amazing views from the balcony on which you can have breakfast. I booked a single room, but was offered a larger room for the same price, and my room was very nice and clean. It was very close to the city and a bus stop was 200m away. The hosts were very welcoming and helpful, they went out of their way to make my stay pleasant and comfortable, so I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: My room was on the 2nd floor with a large, very clean shared bathroom. It was a double room, with a...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Marina2202
Reviewed August 7, 2011

The Guesthouse Mary was great. It was close to everything. The views were amazing(omg...the view...so beautiful). The people were excellent...so, so helpful. I truly enjoyed staying here. Dubrovnik is such an amazing place to be and having a clean, nice, quiet place to stay added to the trip. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone. :)

Room Tip: Third Floor Rooms at the front...best views :)
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends