“Perfect to explore Dubrovnik”
Review of Roko House

and 1 more site!
Roko House
Ranked #12 of 496 Specialty Lodging in Dubrovnik
Zagreb, Croatia
“Perfect to explore Dubrovnik”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The aparment was right in the heart of the old town,fantastic location. nice decor, modern ,stylish, very clean, in a lovely old stone house,the roof terrace has great views of the wonderful city,realy enjoyed our stay ,.fab!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ignite294454

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed here with my wife and adult daughter. The location is perfect - right in the centre of the old town, above a little pizzeria with lovely friendly staff. . The apartment & the overall appearance of the building is great. Everything is clean, welcoming & when you step into the entrance you will not be disappointed! We visit Croatia every summer & will return. The only thing that would have made it a better stay was to have been able to stay longer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ruben h
Reviewed October 14, 2012

If I could offer you one piece of advice for your trip to Dubrovnik (which is incidentally a treat and makes for just as good a city break as it does a beach one) it would be: do not stay at Roko House/ Ivory Town Apartments when you're there. My friend and I spent 7 nights there in mid October this year (2012) and were instantly disappointed. I am sad to say we became even more disgruntled as the days passed.

I'll start with the good points, as there are some! Firstly, it is located smack bang in the centre of town, only a leisurely two minute stroll from the main thoroughfare, the Stradun. Secondly, the decor is clean and tasteful. And thirdly, there is a small roof terrace with a view over towards the city walls. It is a sun trap during the day and a pleasant place to have a beer or a bite in the evening.

Now, regrettably, on to the bad points. Firstly, we thought that we had booked an apartment. We had images of breakfasts, lunches and the odd dinner on the roof terrace so expected a fridge and cooking facilities. Unfortunately however when we arrived we were shown to a room with no such amenities. It was very small and was certainly not what one could class as comfortable for a week's stay. We were offered neither an explanation as to why this had happened nor an apology for the mix up. Instead we were told that if we wanted to upgrade to an apartment (baring in mind this is what we thought we had booked) it would cost and extra 50 euros a night. We declined the offer and decided to stick with the room. Big mistake.

There was no fridge, which one should surely expect in any hotel room, never mind apartment, in 2012. The were no glasses to have wine, beer or even a drink of water. The bed was possibly the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept on...ever! The pillows were hard. The towels were starchy. The shower was never hot. The room was not cleaned nor the bed sheets changed once whilst we were there. And, that was not the worst of it!

When it came to money they wouldn't accept credit card. Had I known about this before I arrived then would have been little issue but I had not. Instead I had to incur two lots of credit card charges to withdraw kuna from a hole in the wall bank machine. The staff was not understanding and in fact I'd go as far to say they were down right unhelpfu, not to mention patronising. We eventually had enough and explained that whilst we had booked for 7 nights we were only going to stay for six - we had planned to treat ourselves to a last night of luxury elsewhere. There was a wrangle (a figurative one only) about money again as we, perhaps cheekily but I thought quite rightly, asked for a rebate for the seventh night. They initially graciously agreed to allow us to pay for six night alone, but a day later renaiged on their offer and demanded full payment. I paid with much reluctance and only after a bit more wrangling. All in all, it was a stressful experience and one which I will most certainly not be repeating or recommending to friends and family. To end on a positive note however, Dubrovnik is wonderful and is one i am sure to revisit as well as recommend!

Room Tip: There are 3 rooms and 3 apartments at Roko House. Double check that what you have booked is what yo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Startspreadinthenews
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Very pleasant small appartment with exposed stonework. Well equipped, recently renovated to a high standard, comfortable and spotlessly clean. Excellent location in the centre of the old town.The apartment is spotlessly clean. Plenty of room, with small kitchen and dining area, bathroom and bedroom with the most comfortable bed. We had excellent sleeps! Very quiet and peaceful. Excellent shower pressure in the bathroom and the wifi is free and very fast. Great air conditioning in all rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank peter s
dubrovnik
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We loved Roko House apartments! It has been renovated to an extremely high standard with lots of charm and really clean. We emailed the owner with our arrival time and someone was waiting for us so there were no problems or delays with checking in. It was good to have air conditioning as Dubrovnik is very hot in August.Great location off the main street and the roof terrace was just the icing on the cake!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank hoveeer
Linz, Austria
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We could not have had a better time . I was in Ivory B1 from 24 May to 4 June. The apartment is in a great location, impressively clean and the lady who cares for the facility could not have been more helpful, friendly, and attending our every request. She always had a glowing smile. This was my first trip to Croatia and I was so impressed with the people and their many attributes. They are the nicest people I have ever met in all my travels as a Naval Officer. I need not tell you what a beautiful country Croatia is. I would like to return when it is possible and I hope you will have space for me at that time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank floop190428
London
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were in Dubrovnilk for my best friends wedding and had had a wonderful stay @
Villa Sole in Cavtat for 8 days. We had booked into the Roko apartments from the 18th - the 20th of June and had had our booking confirmed and deposit paid upfront in May.Or I should say we knew the place as Ivory apartments when booking with Dubrovnik source (I have no idea as to why they use a different name for them with their website.)

We duly e-mailed the owner our arrival time as requested and heard nothing back,so just assumed it as was fine to arrive as scheduled.

We found the apartments swiftly as I knew Dubrovnik well from a previous visit. It was a boiling hot day and we wanted to get into our accommodation quickly so as to rest. After walking down the main street at a very busy lunchtime in midday heat we waited a while for the lady to show us to our room only to find her directing us back down the main street without an explanation as to why?... She spoke practically no English and with my partner trying to be polite we dillinetgley followed her. I thought that I may well have got the address wrong so decided to give her the benefit of the doubt! However when she stopped at the bottom of a steep bank of stairs I knew we had been taken to the wrong place as I had gone to great lengths to book a place away from the side with steps! All our wedding party did so...

I tried my best to relay this to the lady but to no avail. We then found ourselves handed over to another lady whom thankfully spoke English!! As I was loudly trying to ask for a reason as to why we had been taken to this location I found the lady whom spoke no English had sheeply scurried away.... We were duly informed that "alledgedly" The Ivory/ Roko apartments had had double booked and that this often happened and they would then send the people over to her. To say I was furious is a massive understatement!!! This was disgusting behaviour and at no point in the day had we been informed by a telephone call/e-mail nothing!

They seriously mistook us for idiots as if we would not notice we were staying in a different room to the one we had booked is ludicrous and shocking behaviour!

I called the owner immediately to ask for an explanation and he told us that there had been a leak in the room. If this was the truth why had they not called to warn us and offer us alternative accommodation ? We would have understood that those things happen,but to be down right lied too is terrible?

I told him what the lady had said about double booking and he didn't know what to say and as quickly as I demanded my deposit back he made a feeble excuse about not been in Dubrovnik and quickly hung up on us! Shocking behaviour!

I refused to stay in the new place out of principal and for the fact that they were trying to charge us practically the same money as the other place which had far less amenities, one of which was a shared shower room out of the room on the landing. No air con,no WiFi and no terrace!

We went to an Internet cafe to look for another place to stay but as we had limited time in Dubrovnik and were due to meet up with members of our party in a few hours we reluctantly decided to take the shabby room and deal with it at a later date.

We tried to e-mail the owner and got no reply so I contacted Dubrovnik Apartment Source whom we booked with and they handled the situation correctly by getting in touch with the owner and getting our deposit back immediately.

They have since taken them off their website and contacted the people whom had booked with these liars to inform them of what happened to us.

I find it so awful to know that there are unscrupulous apartment owners out there who treat visitors in this manner and I would hate for this experience to happen to anyone else.

To this day we never heard back from the owner with so much as an apology or the truth-As far as we are concerned he is deceitful and untrustworthy,so if you are considering booking with these people please, please be aware!!!

It's one thing to double book and be asked if we would consider another place but to be treated as fools is not acceptable behaviour at all.

They could have just called us and apologised and as reasonable people we probably would have accepted another place,but to try and hood wink us is extraordinary to us?

Up until that point we had fallen for Croatia and most of the people in it.We thought that everyone was really polite, friendly and genuine but this experience just proves to us that you must always be on your guard.

I ended up having to stay in a place up 60 steps with a very bad knee and since then I have had terrible trouble with it and been in and out of Hospital....hence the delay for posting this review.

Please reconsider booking somewhere else if you were looking at this place I would not trust them at all. This is a genuine review and we hope it helps your stay in an otherwise great city! Enjoy Dubrovnik it is a great place!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends