“Nice, friendly, air-conditioned, good location for ferry port and old town.”
Review of Kusalo Guesthouse

Kusalo Guesthouse
Kusalo Guesthouse
Ranked #128 of 181 Dubrovnik B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Nice guesthouse with very friendly owners - lovely introduction to Croatia to be given fresh figs at breakfast time. Location fairly commercial rather than scenic but very short walk to port of Gruz and pretty 20-30 minute walk to heart of old town.

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Kusalo Guesthouse

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed in a private twin bed room with a shared bathroom. The lady that checked us in was lovely and offered us cold drinks upon our arrival. The room was very basic with only one working plug, but did have a ceiling fan (which was appreciated). The bathroom was a little small and the shower was a bit awkward to use with a shower curtain. Its a nice place to stay with lovely owners, just very simple. The guesthouse is about a 20minute walk from the main bus station and about 20 minutes(in the other direction) to the old town.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank skandwm
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in a double room with kitchen and shared bathrooms. We loved our stay here was much better than i expected, we had two bathrooms to choose from so never had to wait. Having a small kitchen and fridge in the room was great, although the shared kitchen looked great and hardly ever saw anyone in it. Owners were lovely, even invited us in for coffee. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just arrived back from a great trip to Dubrovnik, where we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We were a group of four guys looking for a bargain and very pleasantly surprised. We rented the apartment, which was in a great location and provided everything you need - though quite basic, which we were content with.
We arrived late at night - around 9 pm into Dubrovnik so it was closer to 10 when we checked in. We warned the owner we may arrive after the check in (10pm) which was perfectly fine. From the bus station it could be a bit confusing so we took a cab (where we paid 70 kuna - which was still quite expensive considering the length of the trip so make sure this is the maximum you pay). The place itself is a little difficult to find, its behind the big supermarket Pemo centre. There is a sign on the way which takes you up a slope and then some stairs where a sign will direct you. Follow all the way around to the back, and not ring on the first doorbell which we made the mistake of doing.
The apartment itself had everything we needed - a friendly owner who offered us cold drinks on arrival, and provided us with towels and blankets etc. Her english isn't very strong so you will need to be patient, but always was around when we needed her. No mention of payment at all on the first day and only accepted after we asked about it the following day. The bedroom is spacious and comes with a little terrace - though we were asked to keep off it beyond 10pm as young children live around, though there is another terrace on the front if you want to sit outside. The kitchen was also very roomy and came with lots of cooking utensils - though a wine bottle opener was missing - which made opening wine pretty difficult. There is a small mini fridge and a supermarket a stone's throw away - which i was even able to make a quick trip too mid way through cooking when we realised we forgot something. Bathroom was a little more cramped as it was quite narrow. The shower screen and head were both broken, though neither badly enough to be an inconvenience.
To get to town was literally a 15-20 min walk when you come out onto the main street and turn left. The second half of the journey comes with a spectacular view of the Dalmatian coast, which never got boring. On the main high street are a wide selection of coffee shops, which we tried all of for morning coffee. The ones on our side of the street were best value for money - Tramvaj or the other one behind it. For lunch Popej sandwiches did a great deal and very tasty sandwiches. For swimming there is a beach about 10 mins away in the direction of Dubrovnik though its quite hard to find. The path is down near a casino, or you could take a bus down to Babin Kuk or one of the bars on the outside of the city walls has access.
The power did fail for a day in the kitchen, and while it wasnt fixed before we left, the owner was very friendly and helpful in finding us an extension cable to still be able to use all of the kitchen facilities.All in all a great trip and we were even driven to the airport for 180 kuna (a fantastic deal, 10 more than the bus journey)

Room Tip: Really liked the apartment, great if you are a group travelling
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed here four nights in September. The place is in a fairly good location, but a bit further from both the bus station and old town than other reviewers have stated. Walking time to bus station: 15-20 mins. Walking time to Old Town (Grad): 25 mins. Supermarket is however <5 mins away. The room we stayed in was just fine and there is a fridge in the hallway. However, whilst the shared bathroom served its purpose, it was not kept clean and furnished with toilet paper! The owner was indeed very nice, but we hardly saw her. Did get a cold drink on arrival and were offered coffee once. Otherwise, ac and internet both worked very well.

For the price, this is a great place to stay, but, personally, i would probably opt for sth a bit closer to Grad next time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OPlondon
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Really nice people, offered us drinks when we arrived. They have provided us with hot water each morning for our coffee.

The guesthouse is not expensive, reasonably close to the old town and bus station. Tomy, post office and another supermarket are nearby.
Thanks!! :)

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I must say that my review is not regarding the rooms as I never got to stay there, although I made a reservation 2 weeks before my arrival.
The treatment we got was so outrageously unprofessional and even unkind, I just have to share this with anyone who is planning to stay in this guesthouse.

2 weeks before our arrival, I made a reservation by e-mail and asked for a double room. Also I asked if there is a shuttle service from the airport. I was given the information, and wrote back that I want the room but no need to send a car as I will arrive with a bus. At this point I asked, do they need any more details to make my reservation final. I recieved a reply: "You have your reservation sure."

When we arrived, it was very hot so we took a taxi from the bus station to the guesthouse. I came up, and the lady who received us asked my name and than said - wait, didn't you ask for a car to pick you up? I said that I wrote that we won't need a car eventually. Than she made a call and told me that she doesn't have a room for us.

At that point we tried to understand how can it be that we made a reservation, and in fact she knew my name and that I was asking about a shuttle, and although my reservation was confirmed by mail, I had no room to sleep in! We got no explanation and were sent with all our (heavy) luggage, on a very hot day, to look for a room in a foreign country.
We didn't even get an appology or any attempt to show us that they made a big mistake which put us in a very unpleasant situation.

So maybe they have nice rooms and maybe they are nice to people who do stay there, I wouldn't know. Anyway, be careful if you're making a reservation by e-mail, I guess it doesn't mean much to them!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple