“Don't know about food, but I can't believe the personal touch”

Villa Ruza Old City Bistro
Ranked #27 of 407 Restaurants in Dubrovnik
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Mediterranean, Seafood, Croatian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Don't Imagine! Taste It... Feel It... Experience It...
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We are going to be in Dubrovnik on a cruise ship in September and I started corresponding with the owner/chef about ways we could get to this restaurant during our short time there. We had not less than 15 e-mails back and forth in which we explored the possibilities and when it was obvious that we could not make this work, there were many more e-mails about his recommendations for other restaurants, whether they had a view, if the food was good, etc., etc. I just could not believe how willing he was to chat with me about Dubrovnik and how to maximize our time there when he had absolutely nothing to gain from it.

The reviews for this restaurant are incredible, and I wanted to take the ferry and eat here more than I wanted to do anything else in Dubrovnik. To those wonderful reviews I would just like to add that the restaurant has a very special chef/owner who really cares about people, not just customers. Amazing!!

5  Thank txpositano

Reviewed June 29, 2013

There is no other restaurant in Dubrovnik that can come close to matching the dining experience of Villa Ruza. Whilst in Dubrovnik I also ate at Villa Dubrovnik, Restaurant Dubrovnik, Posat, Amfora and Otto Taverna (listed in order of ranking) and whilst nice, there is no comparison to Villa Ruza.

If you’re planning/ celebrating something special or simply looking for a romantic dinner, look no further.

I was planning something pretty special and let the staff know before hand so that they could ensure a great dining experience. My expectations were totally exceeded.

Service:

Simply outstanding. Staff reserved me the best table in the house. There is only 1 that qualifies as the best table and you’ll know it when you see it. It’s located along the terrace and is pretty much a private dining experience with the most amazing views of the sea and sunset. I was served by a waiter called Tom who went above and beyond to ensure an amazing experience. This is the best dining experience I have had anywhere in the world.

Food:

Every dish was perfect, well priced and not too heavy. Even the bread was better than most. Every plate was sent back to the kitchen clean!

Travel:

I booked a speedboat with a company called Dubrovnik boats for an extra special experience. The skipper takes you out, waits whilst you eat and then brings you back. I was not rushed and the skipper was happy to wait as long as I needed.

There is public ferry that can take you to and from the island (you’ll need to be careful and check the last available return time).

Overall, this was a truly great experience. Certainly the best of my Croatia stay.

5  Thank Shabba1984
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Villa Ruza on our first trip to Croatia last week and were blown away by the atmosphere; service and food. Not to mention the breath-taking views.

It’s a true jewel of the Adriatic. The restaurant is located in an old Italian style villa at the tip of Kolocep island which is easily reachable from Dubrovnik by ferry (our choice!) or speedboat which is a much more expensive but surely more special way of arriving somewhere so magnificent!

The freshly caught fish was the best we had tasted; exquisitely flavoured with home-made olive oil and locally grown vegetables. Our waiter had impeccable customer service skills; as did all the staff with whom we interacted. Nothing was too much trouble, and their knowledge of the menu and wine list was extensive. Small touches such as the amuse bouche and freshly picked mint for our mojitos just made it even more special.

There was a wedding going on whilst we were there, we watched the set up and the attention to detail displayed by the staff was outstanding. For a while we were the only diners until the wedding party arrived, and we thought that our waiter may, naturally, pay more attention to the group than us; but he was unfaltering in his attention. We truly felt that our waiter went above and beyond his role to ensure that our time at Villa Ruza felt special.

The meal wasn’t cheap. We paid £110 for 4 cocktails, a bottle of wine and a bottle of water and 3 course meal for 2, which included the aforementioned freshly caught fish. But the food was delicious and in a place like that you pay for the ambience too. The price was ‘treat’ standards, you could pay the same in a top London restaurant and not get half the experience.

We’d love to keep this place to ourselves and not tell you all how beautiful, romantic, magical, relaxing and delicious this place is…but that would be unfair! I'd give it six stars if I could. Go along and relax in the cool surroundings; enjoy a cocktail; sumptuous meal and the unfaltering attention of the staff who will ensure that you have as wonderful a time as we did. Thank you so much to the Villa Ruza team for a very happy afternoon.

6  Thank S L
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The food is good and great value but forget that, the location and staff are outstanding. Get a taxi boat from the Radisson Blu - takes 15 mins on the water (approx £50 return), turn the corner and the staff meet you on the jetty. Go early evening to catch sundown and then get pampered. Great wine list and menu and not expensive - do not go to Dubrovnik and not go to this place - fantastic 10/10

4  Thank Timstirling
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Restaurant Vila Ruza is set on terrace overhanging see, under the trees. Restaurant was fool, but we felt like we ware alone. Staff are excellent, and food even better: fish we eat was fresh and prepared couldn't be better. We enjoyed food, sun set and smells of Mediterranean in his best.

2  Thank Trawellangel