We have just enjoyed our second week at the wonderful Hotel Kazbek. We went last year in late August and when we got off the plane at Leeds-Bradford my wife asked whether we could go again for 2013. Well she didn’t ask me she told me. So we did – and have just enjoyed another great week in Dubrovnik.
So what’s so great about this hotel?
1. The people – discrete but friendly. It’s not like staying in a hotel but like a home from home. No-one hovering at your shoulder asking if everything is OK – of course it is.
2. The Rooms = Excellent
3. The Food = Excellent. Especially breakfast – everything is made to your specification whether it’s eggs (anyway you want), roasted vegetables, pastries and lots of good coffee and fruit.
4. The pool – I’m not a person for sitting in the sun doing nothing but managed to read two books there including David Copperfield. If it gets too hot – cool off in the pool or go into the shade of one of the gazebos.
5. Location – Dubrovnik Old Town 5/10 mins away on the bus (Babin Kuk/ Number 6) – just walk up the alley by the side of the hotel and up to the roundabout and you can catch the bus there. Coming back it drops you off just 100m from the hotel.
6. If you fancy and Island Trip – the boats will pick you up at the harbour of Gruz Bay.
7. Finally, the friendly staff at Zazbek are very good at giving you guidance and recommendations on places to go.
MY TIP: If you have time catch a boat or bus to Cavtat – do go and try and get a table in Bugenvila (in my opinion the best restaurant in the town).
The Kazbek Villa was constructed in 1573 by one of the Dubrovnik noble families Zamanja as a summer residence. Although designed as place for peace and relaxation history had other plans and the villa passed through various violent ages (this is from the hotel’s website).
Firstly it was burned and plundered in 1806 by aggressors which left only the bare shell of the building standing. Then during the World War II the building was used by the aggressors as a detention centre for prisoners of war. After the war the castle was confiscated by the government of the time and used as a school and then as a storage unit.
Ownership then changed hands several times before it was finally acquired by Pervanovo in 2006.
The interior of Kazbek went through a complete overhaul by Pervanovo in order to both modernise the old castle and at the same time bring it back to its former glory - which is very pleasing.
Final tip – if you are having dinner at the hotel have aperitifs before dinner and coffee later on the terrace with views over the bay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A sophisticated boutique setting with only 12 superior and deluxe bedrooms and 1 suite, the Kazbek Hotel is a 'home from home' for many discerning Dubrovnik visitors looking for a high degree of privacy and modern facilities in a historical ambience. The Kazbek is situated in Gruz bay only 10 min of drive from UNESCO protected Dubrovnik Old City. The former residence of 16th-century nobility now protected as a cultural monument is fully renovated to the highest standards and has regained its original beauty and function. Refined and graceful rooms all individually designed, perfectly combine classical style with 21st century amenities and comfort. You will love breakfasting on the beautiful courtyard terrace, sunbathing and relaxing at the private pool area. The rich and varied gastronomic cultures of Croatia can be tasted at the restaurant, where only the freshest and locally produced ingredients are used. The whole Kazbek area is a completely non smoking zone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cancelon, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Kazbek reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kazbek Hotel Dubrovnik