“Great little Dubrovnik B&B”
Review of Villa Busovina

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dubrovnik
Villa Busovina
Ranked #33 of 182 Dubrovnik B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We were there in May 2013. The owners live on site and are absolutely wonderful. We like this place and will probably return. We paid 70 euro/night. The owners arranged for us to be picked up at the airport and dropped off across the street from the "Pinky Bar" on the road above. This cost us 20 euro but I recommend it for your first trip in vs. the bus as it would be easy not to find the place. Ratsko met us across from the Pinky Bar and helped me carry our luggage down the 30 or so steps to the path their facility is on. Turns out "Pinky Bar" is a key landmark if your going anywhere by taxi or bus. Once your there the walk down to this hotel is easy. Much easier than the walk up from old town. Trust me on that one. The hotel has a wonderful garden, great outdoor covered patio to eat breakfast on, read a book or have a glass of wine. It looks out over the Adriatic and part of old town. We paid for breakfasts and they were fine. Juice, coffee, rolls, cereal, fresh fruit. It's 150-200 steps down to the old town which we found to be no problem but you need to be reasonably fit to be sure. The first day I walked the old town walls.. twice ..(lots of steps) .. and did the steps to the hotel 4 round trips. That night I conked out face down on the bed and dreamt I was a mountain goat.
We stayed all four nights in unit 5. This is the "attic unit" and has a unique design that's hard to describe. It has sloped "ceiling walls" that are 3-3 1/2 ft ft or so tall at the outer edge of the room. Two windows have full height ceiling so you can sit on a bar stool and have a terrific view of the old town and Adriatic. Everything was very clean and everything worked well. Prior reviews complained of a lack of hot water. We had plenty. The wifi in the room worked great all 4 days. Other reviewers have complained about this units air conditioning. It worked fine but we didn't experience a heat wave so the system wasn't really put to the test. The negatives to be aware are mostly associated with the sloped ceiling. At 6ft I'm a fairly tall. I never hit my head on the ceiling joists but did brush them a couple of times and reflexively walked around with my head down a bit. I'd say if you're 6ft or less this room is probably fine. If you're over 6 ft ... this may not be the best unit for you. Happily they do have units on the other floors which could would work fine. The other thing is the shower. It's in a bathtub ... which is fine per say but to use it you stand in the tub and there's a 3 panel folding enclosure that you fold out around you. Its further complicated by the sloping ceiling. It works... but seriously if you're over 6 ft I'd recommend getting one of the lower floor units (units 1-4)
Sea Kayaking, wine region biking and a local laundry mat
While we were here we sea kayaked and did a biking tour of the wine region. You'll have several options for this. I only have first hand observations on two. for what's it worth both were great. Ratsko can steer you to Dom at Adriatic Kayaks. They are partway down the "steep steps" on the left hand side from the hotel to old town. They arranged a wonderful sea kayaking trek. They took us by van 10 miles or so outside of old town to an area that was spectacularly beautiful and there were no other tourists around. Other than a friendly fishing boat we joked around with for a few minutes we had the Adriatic to ourselves. We did a biking tour of the Konavle wine region arranged on line - Denis deni@adventuredalmatia.com Our guide was a young lady named Antonela who was wonderful at not just riding with my wife and I but filling us in on the history, the 91-95 war, wine and olive growing in Croatia as we biked down back roads plus she took us to some amazing locations like an water fall driven mill still working that was constructed a couple of hundred years ago, a historic monastery etc. etc. final thing- there's a great coin operated laundry mat outside the Polce gate of old town Dubrovnik. There's a bill-coin dispenser on site and detergent is free. It's a mile or so walk from the hotel. People leave paste up notes on the wall about their experiences. An Auzzy wrote he was so appreciative of the laundry mat because his undies had gotten so bad he'd been "free balling" for the prior two weeks. Not sure what that means but think I'll stick with the travel mate I've got.

ron p

Room Tip: Unit 2 has the best over all assets. Lots of headroom, good view, reasonably sized. Steer clear of...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ron p

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Just returned from a very enjoyable stay at this delightful B&B in beautiful Dubrovnik.

A taxi transfer was arranged for us via the owners, the driver was very efficient and courteous. We were dropped off near some steps and advised to walk down where we would find the B&B. This turned out to be quite an adventure, the B&B was not obvious to find and took quite a time to locate. After a lovely greeting by the owners we were shown to our room which was in a separate annexe via the garden

We were allocated room no. 2 and couldn’t have been happier!
Spacious, light and airy, spotlessly clean, wonderful views over the town and out towards the sea, large comfortable bed, quiet air conditioning and a useful window screen which kept insects out and let fresh air in
Huge bathroom, well equipped, good lighting, decent size bath with shower (a shower attachment to allow you to stand and shower would have been useful)

Location wise – mostly plus points, but some words of caution:-

Beautiful views
Peaceful setting
Nice gardens, varied selection of plants
Outside covered seating area with tables/chairs overlooking the town, nice place to eat breakfast or relax with a drink

Initially difficult to find
Many steep steps down to the town which made the return journey quite exhausting (we are relatively fit & able)
Would not recommend to the less mobile or older visitors

Overall a lovely place to stay and to which I would thoroughly recommend

Room Tip: Room number 2 has fantastic views and very spacious
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bluebell09
Reviewed September 17, 2012

After checking tripadvisor and some quick email correspondence we decided to stay at Villa Busovina. The ride from the airport was there when we arrived late at night. Driver was courteous and drove up the street above Srednji Kono and with a short walk down some steps ,Rastko was right there at the gate waiting for us,probably the driver called him ahead ?

We got the attic room (#5) and it was big enough for my son and me. The room was complete with all amenities that you would find in a hotel but was still cozy enough not to be classified as a hotel. Bathroom complete with towels, hairdryer and some bath amenities. Room had a mini frig, internet and cable TV which was a little bit fuzzy, but why watch TV while in Dubrovnik. I asked if they have something that I can boil water and they gave me a portable hot water maker to use for my stay. Not having the proper electric adapter was likewise not a problem as they had a couple ready.

The property is located right outside the Old City and this gave us a great advantage of savoring the city before all the tourists poured in, and when they do it is an easy escape to some quiet time. The owners are very professional and friendly, as a matter of fact they do not make you feel like a customer but rather as a family guest.

Given all the above,this is where I would stay again when I visit Dubrovnik.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank trave
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed here at the start of our trip to Croatia having chosen it on the basis on previous reviews on tripadvisor. As others have said this family run B&B offers a really warm welcome without feeling intrusive. Our room which was room 3 was spacious with a fantastic view over the sea. We hit Dubrovnik during a proper heatwave but found the aircon in the room coped perfectly. The B&B is set in beautiful gardens uphill from the old town of Dubrovnik - near enough to walk but far enough away when the crowds get too much! There are lots and lots of steps to get to the Villa but then the whole of the old town is like that - if you don;t like walking up steps then Dubrovnik is always going to be a challenge!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Moonface67
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Villa Busovina based on the excellent reviews we had read on tripadvisor and in no way did it disappoint.

Slavica and her husband were excellent hosts, they were extremely helpful and uninstrusive. They were very informative in the e-mail contact leading up to our stay and answered our queries hastily. During the stay they were very warm, friendly and welcoming - they even brought us (delicious) fresh figs picked from the garden and said we were welcome to pick them for ourselves whenever we wanted.

The room itself (we stayed in Room 2) was lovely, far larger than it appears in the photos on the website and very clean. As for the location of the B&B, it is very near the old town and several beaches (although there are a lot of steps).

All in all a great trip and we would not hesitate to return and/or recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here (room 2 I think...) in July to finish off an excellent 10 days in and around Dubrovnik. Definitely the nicest place we stayed in - spacious cool, clean room, lovely modern bathroom with plentiful hot water, lots of storage space, TV (which we didn't use) and access to the internet. Good kitchen facilities in the little outhouse and we paid for breakfast (cold meats, bread, cheese etc) at a reasonable additional cost. We only stayed for 3 nights and our bathroom was cleaned and towels changed during that period, which I was delighted by! Pleasant terrace area where you could eat or sit outside for a drink, although didn't get the sun. However, after 'long days' spent on the beach, we weren't really bothered.

As with everywhere in Dubrovnik there are steps. Our host helpfully pointed out the 'quick' route though and given that in the first place we stayed we had 460 steps, 100 wide steps seemed like nothing at all. 5 mins max to the Old Town (both ways!) and slightly further to Banje beach. As with all of the City there is quick access to public transport and taxis if you need them. The owners are very helpful and welcoming but not at all intrusive. Would highly recommend if you are looking for somewhere which is very comfortable but still good value, I think, to stay in and around the Old Town.

N.B a very helpful taxi driver at the Port rang ahead so we found it easily and didn't have to drag our suitcases up any steps. Might be worth just considering how/when you will arrive before setting off!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The reviews were very accurate, this is a wonderful place to stay for a few days to see the city of Dubrovnik. While it was by far the most expensive of our accommodations while we were in Croatia, the entire city is VERY touristy and everything from beer to coffee was a lot more expensive. We stayed in Apartment 5 which was very large and spacious. It is in the attic(with sloped ceilings) so tall people might not fare so well but it was fine for us!

Couldn't have asked for a better location 5 minute walk up/down some stairs, which were really not that bad, to the old city. When we had enough of the crowds and craziness it was wonderful to retreat to their lovely garden.

The room had a fridge in it, I had no issues with the wi-fi. However, we visited Dubrovnik during the heat wave and the air con wasn't always working at as well as we would have liked but it was a minor issue given it was the hottest period on record!

The hosts were lovely and the gardens and views over the old city were fantastic. Thanks again for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: The attic was stiffling in the summer and the air con couldn't really keep up
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends