$161
$190
Agoda.com
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgreat locationdiocletian's palaceold townsea view roomno liftthe upper floorsflights of stairsstay there againbreakfast includedtwin roomside streetnoisy at nighttop floorstayed nightssmall kitchenminute walkbreakfast room
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Location is the best in town.Public parking is close by.Rooms are relatvely small but very clean and comfortable.Management is very friendly and ready to help.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2009

Perfectly located within Diocletian's Palace complex in the heart of Split City, walking distance to ferry terminals. Booked a single room but I think was "upgraded" to spacious double room. Didn't have breakfast. Fridge & kettle in room but Tea bags were chargeable (about 40 euro cents). Felt like a mini apartment. internet at reception at reasonable price. Room clean and beds comfortable. No complaints. Well worth the money. Loved it! Would stay here again.

Word of warning: No lifts for those unable to walk up stairs or with plenty of luggage.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2009

After reading mixed reviews, we were able to develop our own after staying here for 2 nights before traveling to Hvar. We were surprised with how comfortable to rooms actually were. The views from our window were amazing (not all rooms view the water). Beds comfortable and facilities were all good.
We also came back and stayed another night in another room slightly smaller at the end of our trip and the standards were still high.
Both rooms had good working air con and the staff were helpful and friendly.
We did read a review about room number 1 being noisy and it must have been as it backed straight onto the foyer area. Worth asking not to be placed in hear unless you're a heavy sleeper!
Smack bang in the middle of Split town - you can't go wrong here. We were there in peak season and rates were what we'd pay anywhere else in Europe.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Attached to a corner of Diocletian's Palace, just off the Riva, the Hotel Kastel is very well located for visiting Split. It was somewhat further from my ferry's arrival area than I expected - closer to a mile than a half mile - but my ferry docked at the furthest pier, and that added to the distance. Fortunately, the walk was flat, making it easy to get there. I didn't have trouble finding the hotel - once you reach the southwest corner of the Palace, turn right, turn right again, and then right again and you will be facing the single flight of stairs to the hotel's entrance.

The room I had on my one night there in late May was large and generally comfortable, but it was not ideal. It was a Friday night, and there were many people enjoying nearby outdoor cafes, so there was some noise. I could largely block it out by closing the window, but then I needed the air conditioner. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a comfortable setting for the air conditioner - the room fluctuated from too hot to too cold during the night, forcing me to get up to try to re-adjust it multiple times. Too, the bed could have been a bit more comfortable.

I chose to have breakfast at the hotel and was glad I did - the buffet offered a reasonable array of options an a nicely decorated setting. Also, the nearby outdoor cafes were very, very busy, so the hotel's breakfast was a convenient option.

The reception desk was not staffed 24/7 when I was there, but when there were staff on duty, they spoke English well and were helpful.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 17, 2009

after paying for what i thought would be a lovely hotel to end our trip at, we were surprised when we arrived at the hotel. it was quite hard to find, and the appearance at first glance is pretty poor - cant see they would attract many travellers who havent booked. however, inside was much nicer and our room was very nice. Had we paid Split B&B prices not london hotel prices) we would have been very happy. Breakfast wasnt included either which was a kick in the teeth. room (room 4) was sizeable and the bathroom was ok, but our aircon unit did not really work so the room was very hot. we had breakfast one day and it was standard croation buffet breakfast - not bad and plenty to go round. it must be said the location is ideal - 5/10 min walk from ferry, 1 min from town centre, 30 secs to promenade.

liked our stay but couldnt help thinking about what we should have got for the money we spent the whole time - would recommend but only pay what you would be happy paying to stay in a 2* (out of london) in the UK.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple