“This is in regards to the annex, NOT the main hotel.”
Review of Art Hotel

Art Hotel
Ranked #31 of 58 Hotels in Split
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the annex and I read the reviews and knew I wasn't in for a treat. Mostly it was exactly what I expected, in other ways I was impressed and others even more disappointed.

After driving in from the airport late at night it would have been nice if the parking was better marked. I found it right away but it was secured by a gate (major plus overall) but the signage on the gate did not make it clear that there was an intercom unless you spoke Croatian. This forced me to drive around an unfamiliar city to find the hotel again.

Once inside they were very helpful and fast with check in. They explained parking and wifi, and even escorted me to the annex building.

There was a sign up that said something along the lines of "this building is not part off the Best Western chain and does not meet its standards" it would have been nice to know this when I booked. I probably would have made the same choice but it was disconcerting finding out as I checked in at midnight.

The room was overall clean but had weird stains on the floor. Other than feeling the need to always wear shoes it was okay. The bathroom was surprisingly clean. I was surprised that there was no blankets at all, just a thin top sheet. For the second time this trip I was grateful I had my travel blanket with me.

The thing that ruined it for me was that there was a night club or something nearby that was so loud so late into the night and even the earplugs I bought for an F1 race wouldn't time it out.

All in all, if you can sleep through nose and are looking for a quick overnight this isn't bad. But unless you're used to hostels I wouldn't recommend it for more than one night.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Christy D

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We booked trough Gala Hotels website a 4 stars hotel. When we arrived at Best Western the room was in the external of the hotel, no lift, no air condition. When we complain about it, the receptionist`s answer was " it´s not muy bussines". We book a 4 star hotel and spent the stay in a guesthouse.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
3  Thank Tatiana T
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I chose this hotel knowing Best Western standards but it was only 2 star carpets smell of smoke and dark red paint on interior is 1970's. The location is too far from the water front - we used the bus but the front desk could not explain which buses to catch, its a matter of watch where they go and see that numbered bus down at main market / prominarde area. The hotel wifi has a password but the girls at booking in time said its automaic connect. Two hours later after many tries we bought both our one tablet/one ipad down and the manager did the connection using a password and login, no troubles after that.We had first floor room easy ok up stairs with cases and returns from downtown good size clean and bar fridge towels etc. I appreciated the lock up auto door safe parking behind able to load cases before departure. Breakfasts ok evening dinner average staff try hard but the cook/kitchen must be under resourced. Buses do stop here so we avoided their mealtime, late breakfast best bus gone by 8.30am.Only stay if you want 2 star. We travel as couple and are fit 65yr old Australians self drive ourselves with GPS Italy, Croatia & Corfu May June 2013. We have done 12 years self drive holidays all over european countries and this hotel is not recommend. Split is only a one day stop nothing to do other than the market great for clothes & hats &fruit & veg & water front for drinks & meals. Best meals are a way down the far end at Trumbiceva obala on the "S" bend or inside the old town walls in the square.

Room Tip: The front part of the hotel on first floor and ask for a back room its quiet and no view but thats g...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank holidayms
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I'll begin by saying that I consider myself to be well travelled. I've stayed in various levels of accommodation around the world. When I book a 3 star hotel, I'm not expecting the finest service however I do expect to be able to sleep!
I have just spent 2 sleepless nights at this hotel located on a floor that is at ground level with the street. Even with ear plugs we can not block out the sound of the constant cars & motorbikes. I have stayed in New York & it was quieter than this! When we asked the reception desk to change rooms they neither cared nor could accommodate our request as the hotel was fully booked.

This is certainly not Best Western standard & now I'll reconsider the brand of hotels for future hotel reservations! People that own or manage these hotels should actually stay on the ground floor rooms to see what it's like for a guest or invest in double glazed, sound proof glass!

In addition hotel is about a 20 min walk from the old city & even further from the beaches which.on the heat of summer is not a pleasant walk.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Frances S
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel was about 20 minutes by walk out of the center. If you are seeking a hotel in the middle of everything you should go somewhere else.Kindly note there are two buildings with two different rate for the rooms. I chose the higher price. The room and bathroom were quite big. TV had many different Channels (One of the best variety during my trip in Croatia). There was a free internet connection in the room. The breakfast was limited and the place was small comparing to the number of guests. Toally saying,It was a very ordinary hotel good just for stop-over not for a long time.

Room Tip: If you pay on cash, they will give you 10% discount.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We booked the dependance room and did not understand prior to the trip what type of standard the room was, It turned out that the dependance room was at "Art Hotel"; a hotel that Best Western does not approve to have in their portfolio because of the standard. "Art Hotel" is located in a building behid Best Western, and we used the same reception and breakfast area.

Room:
The room was nice and clean. We had everything we needed but a minibar/minifridge.

Location:
Not a very good location due to lack of things to do in immediate walking distance. The neighborhood is rather shabby. Takes you 10-15 minutes to walk to the Old city and 25 minutes to walk to the closest beach.

Restaurant:
We had pasta bolognese which was poorly heated up. The hot part of the food tasted ok. Breakfast was good, and friendly staff.

Service:
Nice and friendly staff.
They charge 100 kuna for using the sauna, even for staying guests!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed just one night, after late ferry ride from Vis. Very clean rooms, good A/C, nice bathrooms, comfortable beds. Breakfast in the morning was really good - good variety of foods (fruit, meat, cereal, croissants and nutella (!), yogurt, eggs). Room was quiet. Shower was excellent (great water pressure). Wifi was great.

The staff was great. Helped me print out something and fax it back to the USA (at no charge, but I gave them a tip when we checked out).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family