“Excellent way to explore Split”
Review of Split Walking Tour

City of Split Walking Tour
Ranked #1 of 29 Food & Drink in Split
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Look for the blue umbrella! Winter schedule (1.11. - 31.3.) 10.30 / 13.00 (English) Departure point: Golden gate - North gate ENGLISH TOURS: 10.30 / 12.00 / 13.00 / 18.00 (April-October)/19.00(June-September) ITALIAN, GERMAN, SPANISH AND FRENCH: 11:00 (April - October) / 13.00 (April-October) Join us for the best spent 120 minutes in Split with our renowned expert guides. Our extraordinary tours (including Culinary tour,Jewish tour, Game of Thrones and the Grand Tour) inside an ancient Roman palace provide so much more than a walk! You get to chat with the Praetorian guard, unravel antique secrets, experience priceless sights, sounds and scents of Dalmatia as you immerse yourselves into 1700 years of history, culture and gourmet cuisine. It doesn't get any better than this!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Took this 90 minute tour and found it to be very informative. Our guide, Lucija, was very knowledgeable and gave us lots of information about the history of Split and its buildings.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,318)
All reviews
in 91 reviews
in 49 reviews
in 42 reviews

Reviewed July 25, 2014

It seems as though we might have been some of the last lucky people who got to experience the "One Penny Split Walking Tour". We visited on July 9, 2014. I can not say enough great things about our guide Olga. She made this tour a hit of our trip. Very knowledgeable, fun and you could hear and understand her! She was very subtle and did not "announce" that she was a tour guide. I loved listening to her stories about Diocletian and the palace. It was a great history lesson while being fun and entertaining. It is a shame that the city has seen fit to no longer allow this tour company to continue with a very successful operation. I am wondering if perhaps the OTHER tour companies had a hand in this? Anyway, for just 250 kuna for 2 people (which currently is about $43 US) you can do a private tour with one of these incredibly talented and knowledgeable tour guides. (The names mentioned in the reviews are advertised on the Split Walking Tour website) Perhaps now, they will get paid. Previously these guides worked with no salary and only on tips (which is not something our tour guide Olga, advertised, we asked!). Do yourself a favor and spend the 250 kuna and book this tour!.

DCHostel, Public Relations Manager at Split Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Dear guests,
We are sorry to inform you that our famous One penny walking tour has been discontinued due to recent changes in Croatian legislation. As law abiding citizens with high ethical standards, we are undergoing necessary adjustments and we will be coming back soon. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. However, IN THE MEANTIME, we still do offer HIGH QUALITY PRIVATE TOURS on a whole new level and we cordially invite you to visit our office and share with us a unique and unforgettable experience!
A WORD OF CAUTION: if you happen to pass by our recent meeting point ( Peristil square) you may come across some disloyal competition offering walking tours during our temporary absence. These people are conducting their business illegally ( among other things, wearing RED SHIRTS with marketing symbols and signs, e.g. „walking tour“ has become illegal recently) and they offer services of questionable value,so beware !

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Loved the private tour ! I was a bit skeptical at first and sad there was no one penny walking tour available, but this tour was perhaps even better. Yeah, it costs more ( something like 120 khoonas per person??) but we got to ask the guide a bunch of questions without worrying of what other guests would say, because....hmmm....well, there weren't any, its a private tour:-):-) ! A really useful introduction to the city, plus we got some unanounced discounts which really made our day.Grüss Gott und Hvala !:-)

1  Thank valentijn d
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We arrived in Split and were looking for a tour, knowing there was so much history here we weren't interpreting. The One Penny tour reviews were so excellent, we decided to try for the private tour even though the penny tour is not running right now. We did almost go with the other group--they are kids wearing red shirts and you have to pass by their office to get to the actual Split Walking Tours agency--but we moved on and are SO GLAD we did. (Note that we didn't do the other tour, and so can't actually compare, but it seems unlikely that they could surpass our experience). For two people it was only 250 kn, and we got such an incredible personal view of the city that it was all we could talk about at dinner afterward. We walked into the agency before 6pm, hoping to hop on a scheduled 90 minute tour, but they didn't have a set timetable running. They called our guide, Danko, right away (we didn't book ahead) and he was there within 15 minutes. Danko is exceptionally personable, is a native of the city, and probably speaks better English than we do. He knows so much about the city that we could never have gotten from a library of guide books. He took us on a seemlingly meandering but organized walk of the palace and surrounding area, and as it was a private tour it felt like an extended conversation. He pointed out tiny fascinating details in the architecture of an area that has been growing for hundreds and hundreds of years, and painted a picture of the history with facts, stories, images, and personal connections of growing up in the area. He clearly loves his city and its history, and actually appreciated that we were interested and willing to just walk and talk without being in a hurry. He took us out right up until the agency closed, at 9pm--not how we expected to spend the evening, but every time he checked in with us about timing we were just captivated and the time flew! He also marked lots of suggestions on our map, with bus directions, and walked us to the restaurant we wanted to eat at. When we got to Split, we were vaguely impressed by how cool and old everything seemed, but now we can't believe anyone ever skips this city. It is so amazing and Danko revealed it all to us! Now we have a list of other things we want to visit, and on our travels around the palace can somewhat accurately discuss whether these particular walls or floor were Roman or Medieval. We feel so lucky we landed on this tour!

1  Thank Meghan R
See more reviews
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I have to leave only one star because I am very disappointed in the operations of the company. I was in the office in the afternoon, asking after the day tour and the kayaking. I was told that the afternoon tour was cancelled due to heat, and probably that evening's kayaking as well, due to wind. I understand that perfectly fine, no problem. However, 2 hours later, I returned to take an evening tour and book kayaking for the next morning (which I did with the same employee as before). After my fantastic walking tour, the guide said I could get a discount on any of their other trips. However, when I returned to their office, I was denied the coupon rate. I even offered the potential solution of a refund of the original trip and to purchase a new one at the reduced rate. Again, they said no based on "government regulation" related to refunds. Well, a quick trip to 2 tourist offices confirmed this was not the case at all, no such law exists.

I don't know who might be misinformed, but I'm writing this so its not you! Go on their excellent Split city tour and the "decide" to go one of their other trips. For the record, I mentioned I would be writing a review and that did not change their mind. So to me, it seems if they might not care.

I based my desire for a second tour based on the quality of reviews left by others; there was no need for me to go on the tour myself and THEN decide on a second when I was already comfortable deciding so. Just is a shame that a flexibility could not be had.

7  Thank ckmetz002
DCHostel, Public Relations Manager at Split Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

This is a review of the One penny walking tour which you say is amazing and then give one star. This is against the rules of Tripadvisor. The company operations you can review on some other page. Unfortunately it is not possible to recieve the discount after you had already purchased the service. Can you get money refund in a shop after you recieve discount for the next servise. You first bought the sea kayaking and the after the one penny walking tour. That is not possible in any country so it is not possible in Croatia. And after all we are a business company and that is how you do business, you give discount on the next service. If you had already bought it, it is not possible to get the discount retrospectively!