“Crowded but interesting”

Ethnographic Museum Split
Ranked #33 of 171 things to do in Split
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The night I visited the museum was the evening that all of the museums in Split were free to the public and this particular museum was busting at the seams. My customer and her family took me there. I was in a folkdance group in college so this was very interesting for me to see all the fold costumes.

When we went, there was an exhibit on the first floor on quilts made by local women. I thought I was in some Amish museum. These were not old quilts but just from a quilting club. They were very nice an impressive. I was more interested in the folk outfits from the different regions. My customer and her husband gave me some background on some of the outfits since several were from the villages where they grew up.

There was also glassware, jewelry, weapons, rugs and furniture. The craftsmanship was really exquisite.

The museum is in renovated building in the palace area. THere are 3 floors and the exhibits are spread out so things aren't squished together.

As I mentioned, it was a free night so there was just too many people to really enjoy and take time. I would recommend this museum to visitors who are interested in cultural objects from Croatia.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

In the palace and overlooking the Riva, this museum was a cultural highlight in Split. The displays are colorful and nicely presented and with 3 floors, there is a lot to see. The regional clothing, jewelry and period pieces all gave me a much greater appreciation for the history and people of Croatia.

1  Thank SWeems
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were the only ones in the museum when we were there. Did everyone else but us get the memo that it is boring? Some of the traditional costumes were interesting in an OK-since-I-am-here-I-will-look-at-that-thing kind of way, but not very.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Only 15 minute walk from the bustling harbor is a quiet but an extraordinary museum sited within garden walls. It is a very important stop to understand the history of Croatia. Worth it.

1  Thank mtitetnlt
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A great museum, definitely worth checking out on a day in the old town. It's extremely reasonably priced, and they even have student discounts. It's almost the same price as a public washroom, so you may as well check it out! Also you can walk all the way up to the roof and catch a great view of the city. There were almost no people there since the museum itself isn't as appealing as some other attractions, but it was well worth it for the washroom and the view alone!

1  Thank kira_mclean