“Best restaurant in Split?”
Review of Konoba Marjan

Konoba Marjan
Ranked #10 of 382 Restaurants in Split
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood, Croatian
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Come and experience our small family owned restaurant that father, mother and son run. As we are based on the fresh seafood our offer changes daily depending on what our nearby fish market has to offer. Try our cozy homelike atmosphere, fresh seafood and our wines and we will put a smile on your face.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant in Split?”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

My first night in Split and we got a table late in the evening at Konoba Marjan, I would recommend that if you are in Split and want to eat here you phone or call in to book a table in advance. Even as we were eating late in evening waves of disappointed potential customers who had just turned up on spec were being turned away.

It is a restaurant with a really good wine list and among the most expert waiters I came across in Croatia in terms of their ability or recommend and match wines to what we had chosen to eat.

We ate a mixture of fresh grilled fish and vegetables and it was all excellent. Our table was outside, in effect on the street, with small scooters and passers-by but this only added to the relaxed atmosphere.

I suspect that it would be difficult to find a better restaurant in Split, certainly on my next visit I will return (providing I remember to book a table)

• Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York, NY
“Believe the hype - the best fish in Croatia”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

This place is almost always fully reserved so you must make a reservation at least a day in advance.

The restaurant is small and homey, with a rustic feeling inside. The food is INCREDIBLE - the most delicious fish I have eaten on my trip through Croatia (Zagreb, Split, Dubrovnik). I had the mixed seafood platter, octopus salad, and mussels. All of which were superb.

What separates this place from others is simply seasoning and technique. They season their fish and seafood masterfully and thoroughly - no bland fish here! Secondly is that they are extremely careful to avoid overcooking the fish.

Service was good as well, though the staff is often running around like crazy and has the extremely hard job of turning many people away that don't have reservations.

Definitely would go again and again and again.

2 Thank Kenneth N
“The sort of excellence you normally pay more for”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Situated just outside Diocletian's Palace in a nice pedestrianized side street, Konoba Marjan has a quiet but sociable location. We sat outside and were served in a timely manner by the waiter. Although he was slightly rushed off his feet he was always gracious and gave you advice when requested. We shared a litre of the house white wine which was perfectly reasonable given the price. For food my partner had the King Prawns and I had the chargrilled squid. Both were absolutely delicious, indeed my dish was perhaps the best seafood that I have ever tasted. Obviously squid doesn't look prettiest on the plate but the taste was magnificent. The price of the food was reasonable for Split and if we go back to Split, we'll make an excursion Konoba Marjan.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank VascoHoskins
“Good food, great location and pleasant service”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

The two other restaurant we ha been recommended were full, so we chose the nearby Konoba Marjan as a fallback plan. The service was nice and the food was well-presented and mas good. Our 3yr old son had tagliatelle with "red sauce" and he too semed happy.

2 Thank Thomas B
Perth, Western Australia
“Magnificent and lovely family restaurant in old town”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Our accommodation manager recommended that we eat here as the food was as his mother cooks. We tried for Sunday night, but as it is a very small place, we couldn't get in until late, so elected to book for the following evening. We shared a fish platter, sea bass and bream from memory with grilled vegetables and prawns, calamari etc. it was magnificent and we were fighting over the last morsels. Our boys had steak with vegetables, not being great seafood fans. The service was lovely and attentive, and the wine recommendation was superb. Our bill was 700 kuna for four meals and a nice bottle of wine. Highly recommended and would definitely return.

• Visited July 2014