“Don't forget it is a hostel”

Design Hostel Goli&Bosi
Ranked #95 of 441 Specialty Lodging in Split
London
“Don't forget it is a hostel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Although it is 'designer' and has double en-suite rooms it is a hostel through and through. The rooms are basic with no 'soft' furnishings.

The toughest thing is the noise. With nothing to absorb it every step and voice echoes around the place. Then for added irritation the night watch-person seems to like blasting out music throughout the night downstairs which can be fully heard in the rooms.

I'm sure there are better 'hotel' rooms for the same price in Split.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank barronoid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a recent trip to Croatia. It's allegedly been billed as the second best hostel in the world. I've sytayed in a lot of hostels in my time and this one wouldn't get anywhere near the top 20. It is very modern and has a nice bar on the ground floor. The place has a very futuristic design but is all painted yellow which shows the dirt really well so it looks shabby. The dorms are OK and the beds are in pods which are also Ok but the dorms have a very clinical feel which is totally lacking in atmosphere. Also, the rest of the hostel is very open plan which means that noise carries very easily to the rooms. the breakfast was OK but nothing special and it's not that cheap to stay here. Wouldn't recommend.

Room Tip: As far away from reception as possible if you want quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rmc12York
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Booked a private double room here at short notice. Very bright yellow and white hotel in a great location handy to to Riva and palace. As a single female I felt very safe walking to and from here.The room was ok, clean and good Wi Fi reception. However, the stairs up to the rooms from the restaurant/ bar area are all open. This means its very noisy in the rooms. The music seems to be on from about 6 am through to 2 am so its hard to get a decent sleep.Breakfast was ok include with room price, but over all I thought the room was a bit overpiced.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Kiwi T
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Used the electronically coded locker in our room to store £1000 (cash for myself and 2 friends) plus an iPhone whilst we went out at night.

When we opened the locker in the morning the money and phone were gone.

This discovery was distressing in itself, and made worse by the staff who were unhelpful to the point of rude. They have ignored subsequent communication seeking help with police report which would have aided claim for compensation.

Suspect they had involvement as the lockers were not forcibly broken in to and they have all the codes for the lockers (which you do not have the option to change).

Clause in insurance policy means no pay out.

DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SophieSW18

Travelers are raving about these Split hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Go somewhere else

This hotel is desperately trying to be super cool, but it misses the main point of any sort of accommodation: it is there for you to SLEEP in.

I stayed in a dorm with friends. Rooms are off an open corridor, meaning that whatever floor you are on, there is only one thin door between you and the bar/reception. So this obviously means you can hear people, music, cutlery-sorting etc until the early hours.

You sleep in a pod-type area, but would struggle to fit in if you were over six foot tall. I am a tallish girl and the mattress was the same length as my body so my pillow had to be propped on a shelf all night. Any sort of movement in the room you can hear, because everything is close by and very open.

It would appear that by calling a hostel a 'design' hostel, it makes it acceptable to use budget materials all over the bedroom.

Even with it quiet in your room (and that assumes you have the same sleeping habits as the other random punters who you end up with in your room, as you'd expect in a hostel), all sounds in the corridor, stairs and other rooms vibrate through.

We also had a slightly frightening moment when a member of staff knocked on the door at midnight (we were all asleep), and came into the room and told us he needed something from one of the beds. I personally don't think this is acceptable.

I paid 30 Euros for this experience. Absolute rip off - go somewhere else. In my experience of Split, most places are centrally located and it's quite a small place to walk around so just find somewhere else. I would rather have spent the night sleeping on a hotel room floor than this place, and it would have been cheaper!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank rosalieb_11
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We had two rooms, normal and one of the more expensive. The rooms were clean and are nice designed. The location is perfect. While the whole appareance of the hostel has its own experience, we found it is too expensive for what we got. Breakfast was horrible, the more expensive room was a joke. Toilet and shower are combined so you get wet and dirty feed everytime.

• Stayed September 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Firstly let me say that when I went up to my room, I went straight back down to reception and said that I wanted to cancel my reservation. I have NEVER before hated a room on holiday. But this was not a room, it was a box. Me and my partner barely managed to fit our suitcases in it. We had to put one on the small table in the corner of the room because there was not enough floor space. We couldn't cancel our reservation without losing all of our money, and for this box, we were paying £93 a night. This is crazy - you can get a beautiful and decent sized room for that money anywhere else and we met another couple in Split who had booked an entire apartment for £40 a night. The website images were very misleading and the information didn't marry up with that given on the booking.com site (booking.com handled the situation well when I emailed them whilst away and managed to get the hostel to give us some money off in the end - basically we didn't have to pay the difference for the few nights that we were able to get a room upgrade for).

Our original room didn't come with a hairdryer as advertised, we had blood stains on our towel on one occasion and you cannot control the air con - this is something that only reception can do. The bathroom was tiny and a wet room - no foot towel provided so we had to use a hand towel in order to not soak the rest of the room with our wet feet.

We had a meal at DeBelly, the hostel's website, only once and never again. It was gross. My partners burger looked like it had come out of McDonalds.

Breakfast was disheartening. Very slim pickings and poor quality. We had to request milk most days as they didn't keep it topped up. The cutlery and crockery was filthy. Breakfast is between 7.30am and 10.30am, but on going down at 8am (we had a boat trip booked so were in a rush) the buffet wasn't ready and going down at 10am meant that everything was gone. My partner said the coffee wasn't drinkable. After the first day I stuck to cereal as nothing else was edible.

We booked this hostel based on the fact that it was meant to look cool (well designed) but we were completely underwhelmed; the fact that it had a "great restaurant" (a lie); the fact that they claim to be able to give advise on things to do in Split and book excursions (we were told to go to the old town to a tourist centre to do this - the receptionist looked at us blankly). A few days in to our trip a lady called Wendy worked the reception, on and off for a few days only, and she was FANTASTIC. I cannot praise her services and kindness enough); the fact that they have a cinema (we thought this could be nice for an evening - especially a rainy one, but it didn't exist).

A few days in to our trip, on the day of Wendy's arrival, my partner lost his tolerance (the poor breakfast tipped him over the edge) and suggested that we yet again try and ask for a better room. So I did, and this time Wendy was there, and she was so helpful and showed us a premium room that was empty for a few days so we could stay there until our last few days when it would be filled again. She told us that our current room was only suitable for a night's stay due to its impractical size - not 9 nights. I wish some one from the hostel had called us up to tell us this before we had arrived. Anyway, the new room was lovely, very spacious - you can see the difference in my photos - you can hardly believe that the two rooms belong to the same place. Even in this room there was no full length mirror which just seems silly because there is plenty of room for one (even in the small room they could have stuck one to a door!) - how are we meant to check our outfits without a full length mirror - where is the design sense in that?! And still no foot towel, so again we had to use a hand towel. Also, in both rooms the "provided toiletries" are not worth mentioning - we had two mini shower gels in the box room and two mini shampoo's were provided in the premium room - very random, no consistency - you get the impression that they don't actually know what they are providing, they just put something there to make it look like they've supplied you with something. They provided hand soap in both room (it dried my skin out until it cracked but at least it was provided).

I'll make five good comments:
1 - the location of the hostel was perfect - in the old town and practically on the harbour at the same time.
2 - the hostel played good music - so you can distract yourself listening to it while you eat your awful breakfast.
3 - it had free wifi.
4 - Wendy. When she was around, she was brilliant.
5 - powerful shower.

All in all, we would not return here or advise any one to book here. Even if booking a premium room, I love my breakfast too much to return here. If we had only seen the premium room and breakfast was good and all the staff were trained to Wendy's level, I would probably forgive everything else. But a bad breakfast is a bad start to the day - no one wants to wake up early for economy cornflakes.

Room Tip: Definitely do not go for an economy room if you are staying for more that one night because it is a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple