“All good”

Design Hostel Goli&Bosi
Ranked #93 of 441 Specialty Lodging in Split
“All good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We (2 adults, two small children) stayed in a suite on the fourth floor. Our room was clean, spacious and very comfortable. The kids loved their mezzanine bedroom. The service was very friendly and efficient and the restaurant good. The location was great - a few minutes to the Riva, Diocletian's palace, the ferry port/bus station and more or less anything I could imagine one might need. And the design was nicely edgy and fun!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Di P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

By far the hippest hostel I have ever stayed. I loved the design of the place and energy the place brought. The staff was uber friendly and helpful. They were efficient in every process, such as they allowed the 3 of us to pay separately for our 3 bed room. G&B win on location too; walking distance to everything in Split.

Room Tip: Book early; they were flexible on changing dates after your reservation is made. Also, wifi is not s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Claremont, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I arrived at this hostel at about 3:00 a.m. after spending the day on a 14-hour excursion from Dubrovnik to Montenegro and Albania, followed by a four-hour bus trip from Dubrovnik to Split, so I really wasn’t in the mood to hear, “but I can’t find your reservation in the computer” (Thankfully, I had a copy of the confirmation.). Checking out the next morning was just as annoying, as it took a bit longer than my patience could handle at that point, and it seemed more complicated than it needed to be (Again, they initially still couldn’t find my reservation in the computer, but ultimately, the check-out process left me with a stack of papers that would have made any bureaucrat proud.). I’ve never been a fan of minimalist design, and staying in this hostel only confirmed this for me. The building has a sleek, modern glass elevator, which unfortunately had a glass door with a very large crack that could have proved hazardous (I admit it’s possible that the crack was new.). I stayed in a 10-bed, whitewashed dorm room that was completely lacking in character. The only hint of anything resembling what I would call décor were a few lines and words painted on the floor. The mattresses were in what I can only describe as box-like wooden cubicles. The problem with these structures is that when one sits on the bed with their feet hanging over the edge, their backside is lower than their knees, and the wooden edge of the base of the bed is fairly narrow and painful under the thighs, which makes getting off the bed challenging. Climbing on to the top bunk bed requires stepping onto not steps, but two slots that are too far apart for a person of average height or shorter to navigate safely. Also, there are no handles to speak of (see my picture), which further adds to the already treacherous climb to the top bunk. There are storage spaces built into the cubicle structures, but these are high off the floor, so again, for the average person, lifting a bag of average weight or heavier could prove to be a strain (Personal injury lawyers could have a field day with this place.). My room included an in-suite toilet, shower, and sink. Unfortunately the interior of the (again, wooden?) shower was covered with odd-looking orange stains (see my picture). Despite the hostel’s name, in my opinion the dorm rooms are very poorly designed. I did not stay here long enough to see the rest of the facility. The only positive comments I have about this hostel are that the building has a lovely old exterior, and the location is excellent. Nevertheless, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Cindy6179

Travelers are raving about these Split hotels

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I absolutely love the design and concept behind Golly and Bossy, but unfortunately the management and service are virtually non-existant. I think you have to cut it some slack as it wasnt built to be a luxury hotel, it's simply a hostel. That said, it's an incredible shame that the owners took something that could have been great, and gave it such little care and thought past the design phase. The rooms are comfortable though i only stayed in a single (didnt have to share a room). The bed was comfy, but the bathroom was an epic fail, dirty, flooding, mess. The front desk reception is worse. They just have no idea what they're doing and take an hour to figure it out. I didn't eat in the restaurant but only because I waited for 30 minutes to get a drink and I figured I'd be old by the time someone took my order so I left to track down another restaurant. The location is great inside the palace, but unless you cant afford to go somewhere else, I really wouldnt recommend this place.

Room Tip: Take a private room if you can afford it and if you dont mind staying in a dump.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jason A
Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here two nights in the same dorm room. Both nights I had the dorm room to myself. The first night the bed I was assigned had a broken locker, so I had get another bed assigned with a locker that worked properly with the keyless code entry system. Next bed I was assigned the light didn't work in the bunk bed didn't work, so I moved to another bed I didn't bother to go back to the front desk. When I checked in I asked if they could wake me at 6am with a knock on the door and they said they could which they did, so I was thankful. I read about this hostel in the New York Times Travel section about the unique movie theatre in the hostel. I asked about the movie theatre at the front desk and they initially didn't know what I was talking about. Then finally they told me they had a LCD projector on the second floor that could project movies on the wall if someone wished, but there wasn't a movie theatre per se. There are cheaper hostels in Split, but their locations are not near the waterfront. If location is important this a good choice.

Room Tip: Dorm rooms during the shoulder season seem not to be full and are a better economical option
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I paid £108 for a two night stay at this hostel - which worked out at about £1 per hour for the amount of sleep I got! I had paid extra for a private room given that I had some horrendous flight times on the way here. Big mistake. Yes, the hostel is in a great location and looks great. But this will mean absolutely nothing to you when you are lying in the most uncomfortable bed ever, listening to the sound of every single person coming through the front door. I have never encountered such bad sound proofing in my life. All you can here is the noise of the painfully loud music from the lobby area blasting through the walls, it's like trying to sleep in a nightclub. I could handle this better if there actually were a nightclub downstairs, but when I went downstairs at 4am on my first night to complain about the noise I met by one hipster member of staff listening to music alone. Who seemed p*ssed off that I would dare to ask him to turn the music down. The soundproofing in the dorms may be better but I would seriously advise you to avoid the private rooms on the first floor at all costs if you value your sleep. I essentially spent £108 to lie for two sleepness nights in a broomcupboard. Not impressed.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank EilidhR27
Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is in the middle of the old walled city. The location could not have been better. Gollly Bossy is close to the water, cafes, shops, and cathedral. We had a private room which was very nicely sized. The only setback was that the bathroom would flood when you took a shower but I've become used to that with traveling. The staff were very friendly and helped us plan out parts of our trip since it was low season and hard to find ferries. I'd definitely recommend staying here if you get one of the private rooms. The location is wonderful, the staff were nice, but remember it is still a hostel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends