“psychodelic (non-) paradise”
Review of Hotel Luxe

Hotel Luxe
Ranked #8 of 57 Hotels in Split
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Reflecting back on a wonderful two-week-, six different hotels- vacation in this amazing country I would like to share our experience of this particular hotel, which was, well ... different and not in a good way.
The location is the key, right by the port and the old city, but good luck managing even to stop by the entrance to the hotel (and we have done that in the busiest streets of Rome, Madrid, Paris, London, etc). If you drive with any minimal appreciation to the rules - it is forbidden; if you still have to - enjoy the honking and the gestures of tourists' bus drivers. The hotel does have a parking pad a block down and a block away though. After climbing two staircases with two heavy suitcases and dragging them down a block we were still optimistic when we entered ... an ice-cream parlor style of the 80-s reception 'dock'. I had to step out and enter again just to make sure I got the right door.
An elegant but non-smiling red-head receptionist asked if we "expected to be helped with the luggage" and when I still hopefully shared the experience of truly rocky way from the parking lot, she authoritatively explained to me that "they only help with the luggage at 5-stars hotels in Europe". Lucky us, I wanted to say, we have been helped with our heavy load everywhere we went for years and years. But the cold gaze of the receptionist up and down my wrinkled outfit chilled me off, I said no more.
The room (full price, costly) was actually a cubicle of 8' x 10', filled with plastic furniture ice-cream shop style, decorated with long-fringed sparkly faux-leather lamp shades, and clad in extreme neon-blue and pre-teen-girl brightest purple stripy carpet and synthetic plush fabric. Eyes start to hurt if you do not close them. There was also a coquettish clear-glass wall between the room and its bathroom. The balcony with the view of the beautiful Adriatic and the picturesque red roofs of the old city would give us some relief, but it was miniscular 3' x 3', with only one (!) chair for a 'delux' room with a king-size bed. The intricate design of the opening two-ways balcony door evidently left many less experienced travellers puzzled, as it was broken and only opened half-fallen on the bed in that tiny room.
The breakfast was 'supervised' by another never smiling young lady who informed us that it is 'self-served'. None of our dirty plates was ever removed off the small ice-cream shop style table. Still quite fit in my forties, I found it challenging to sit on that plastic chair with a back playfully cut off right where you need some support for your spine.
Altogether, the only (and probably the most important) elegant feature about the whole property was its manager who finally agreed to set us free and cancel our second night at that ... well, different hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank ikwet
LuxeSplit, General Manager at Hotel Luxe, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Ikwet,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review hotel Luxe.

If I recall correct, I've helped you with parking next to hotel and took luggage myself on your check out. I haven’t been in hotel when you arrived, but my colleague has told you correctly. We can't cancel second night as your reservation was pre-booked through agency, so ultimately we'll be charged for it. However I wanted you to feel good about traveling in Croatia and took the expense for your second night, which we honored and paid for to your agency.

Hotel Luxe is specific and uniquely designed throughout the hotel. Many rooms are different from one another and some have glass wall between room and bathroom; some don't. I can assure you our aim is to ensure that every one of our guests has a fantastic experience and our web photos clearly show how it looks.

I can understand if it doesn't match your style and expectations and I'm sure you could have chosen another property in Split that is a bit less designed and more conservative. I am truly sorry that in your case this did not happen. Had I known how you felt while you were in the hotel I'd make sure to show you and re-allocate you to another room without a glass wall.

I am indeed also very disappointed to read about your experience and to know that we did not fulfill your expectations. Here in Luxe we are most attentive and committed to offer the best of service experience with great hotel products as all other reviews show.
I would very much like to welcome you back at Luxe, should you feel you could give us a second opportunity.

Thank you once again for your time.

Best wishes,

Josip Culic
Hotel manager

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

The decor in this hotel has been executed by a straight man who thinks his clientele are all fans of Liberace. It is all OK, but the decor doesn't work. The glass wall between the bathroom and the bedroom is badly covered by silver curtains which would start a fire if you rubbed them together - but who wants to go to the loo and sit watching your partner / friend / Liberace impressionist in the bedroom - or vice versa?! The location is excellent for the palace. Getting to the car park is challenging down the side road if you're driving anything larger than a mini.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank lhrsydjfk
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Having read the reviews on trip advisor we expecting great things - and we were not disappointed. Superb service throughout the whole hotel - we arrived very early (10.30am) and our room was ready, we had some good restaurant recommendations, complimentary tickets for certain sites/museums in Split. Room was very comfortable, good view from balcony, breakfast was good and replenished promptly. Good position within the city, only 2/3 minute walk from the centre. Would highly recommend and would definitely return.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel is the last word. It is extremely modern, really classy and superb staff. We stayed in Split only for 1 night and this hotel was the highlight. We are definitely going back!

I booked the hotel over the phone after the excellent reviews I seen on trip advisor and other sites. I have only positive things to say about everything from the first phone all until we checked out.

When I was booking the hotel I had mentioned it was for a special occasion and I asked could I get flowers and chocolates in the room. This was no problem but the girl (Maya) recommend their chefs chocolate cake instead of chocolates I took her word and this was absolutely gorgeous, the provided the flowers too for a small cost. However, they gave a complementary bottle of bubbly.

It was perfect, the staff were so professional and I couldn't recommend this hotel enough. Location is perfect too. A 2 minute walk from the centre. Free parking too in their private car park.

Anyway, to sum it up, the food was lovely, staff were excellent, the hotel was modern and the room was spotless. Oh and ask for the chocolate cake special occasion or not.

Room Tip: Deluxe room with sea view is like a suite in other hotels. You have your own balcony too.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hotel is ultra modern and superbly situated in downtown Split - 5 min. walk from the old city and Diocletian's palace.

Contrary to other reviews, we thought the breakfast offer to be very good - a lot of choices in quite a nicely decorated and cool room.

The staff were very helpful and spoke excellent English - they provided us with restaurant recommendations and we weren't disappointed - see my review of Konoba Varos.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again anytime!

The parking is a bit tricky but, if you're driving in Europe, you're probably brave enough already to tackle it.

Room Tip: Try their breakfast. Some rooms have a glass wall separating the bathroom from the bedroom so, be wa...
1  Thank Igor M
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We spent a few days back in Split meeting friends. This hotel lived up to our expectations, if you like a boutique hotel. We had a superior room with balcony & sea view
The staff were attentive ; the food excellent BUT we could never get anything other than TEPID water in the bath or shower despite our comments
Would we stay there again ? Definitely
If you arrive early you can have a shower & change in the "Wellness" are leave your cases & stroll about in Split if you wish

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Booked my stay over the internet, based on good reviews from this and other sites. Clean, nice balcony view, awesome breakfast and most notably the service. Traveling through Croatia has show it self interesting and relaxing but service doesn't cut it most establishments. But Luxe is different, Josip the Manager has trained his staff beautifully and its paying off. Also, they steered me to some amazing experiences in Split, so may thanks to them!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends