Diocletian's Rooms
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Upon arriving at Diocletian's Rooms in central Split, you suddenly realize you're at the center of thousands of years of history right at your doorstep. I can't stop thinking about how special this place is for the average traveler.

Being that this is an apartment rental and not a hotel, you pay a great price for an amazing location with just the necessary do-it-yourself amenities. Pay with cash, arrange a meeting with management to get in (theres no lobby/reception) and voila, you're set.

Through a few emails off the website, I arranged a meet up with Matea and easily got into my top floor room. Keep in mind, the building is old and only steps are available (5 total flights) so book your room accordingly. Also, the beautiful cathedral is right outside your window so be prepared for lots of bells. Still, why not engulf yourself in the music of hundreds of years?

Finally, the room is great with the right amount of amenities and while there's no tv, why bother, you hear echoes of musical entertainment from the guitarist at the neighboring Luxor restaurant next door and you're steps from all sorts of food and drink options. Get out! Soak it in! Wifi is everywhere!

Oh, and Matea knows the area for tours, food, drink, coffee, etc. Ask her anything and she'll gladly help.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank TravlrAlan
Qlio, Direttore vendite at Diocletian's Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Kind TravlrAlan

Thank you for choosing our rooms. What can we say?
Just one point: next time we will have a beer together and you we will be our guest, for sure.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Great room right in the centre of Split opposite Cathedral so if you don't like the sound of bells this is not for you. All very clean. We had the top room with balcony. No use if you cannot climb stairs with a case.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Bluebell49

Dear Bluebell49
We really thank you for choosing our rooms and for this review. We hope you enjoyed your holiday and next time we will try to turn the bells off. :)

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at the DIocletian's Rooms in May 2013 and had a very nice time. This hotel might not offer the amenities that you were expecting, but the location cannot be beat.

Location: You are in the heart of the Diocletian's Palace. It couldn't be more central than this. Do you need/want to be this central? That is for each person to decide. The rooms are very easy to find.

Check-in: There is NOT somebody there 24/7, so you should tell them ahead of time when you will be arriving. The woman (Matea) waited for me at the caffe across the plaza and was there seconds after I walked up to the front (locked) door. She was kind enough to do this because I did not have an international phone. Matea was very welcoming and provided me with information about where to eat. etc. If you do have an international phone you could just call someone shortly before arrival and that would work, too. This hotel only accepts cash.

Amenities: hair dryer, towels, shampoo, soap. Plus a little souvenir. There is no TV. Normally I wouldn't sweat it but an entire day of my stay was a wash-out and I was more or less stuck inside with zero to do. A small tv (or even radio or iPod dock) would have been fantastic. Also, the website says the hotel has WiFi. Upon arrival I was told that because it wasn't high season the WiFi wasn't available (huh?!?!). Instead I was offered a 4G USB stick to go online - would've been fine except I was going online via my phone which doesn't have a USB port. Fortunately Split has free HotSpots scattered around, so I was able to connect. But, I don't understand why the hotel didn't just have the WiFi turned on.

Accessibility: As others have noted, there is no elevator/lift in the building.

Noise: I took the top floor (Porto Aurea). This room includes a balcony overlooking the Peristyle and it really is lovely. At nighttime, as others have said, there is live music in the plaza. I was there in May and the music ended no later than 10:30. Perhaps it goes later mid-summer. The noise level wasn't terrible - if you can sleep with a TV on, this was comparable. There are two church bells, however, that will wake you. The cathedral right outside your balcony goes off at 6am, and the bells right outside your other window (literally about 15' away) go off at 7am.

Comforts and Condition: The bed was comfortable. I thought the room itself was comfortable. (Others said it was very small. I didn't feel that way, especially considering there is a large balcony. Then again I am used to living in an NYC apartment.) The room, however, could use some TLC - a fresh coat of paint would do wonders.

Service: I'm not sure what you'd do if you need assistance during your stay. I guess call/email the hotel. Also, there is not daily room service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank rustymambo

Dear Rustymambo

Thank you for writing this review: we hope you enjoyed your holiday.
Don't worry about assistance during the stay: our phone are always on :) !

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Can't beat this room in Split. The price, location (you were right at the centre of Diocletian's Palace and square), and the staff were great. Ivann, who showed us to our room was lovely, even when we had to swap rooms on the second night because of the room we stayed in first was already booked by others during the rest of our stay.

Nevertheless, both rooms were amazing and very clean. But best of all though, you were only above the square, with restaurants and supermarkets nearby. This was particularly ideal when we sat in our balcony in the evening to enjoy the atmosphere. Note, there is no lift and we struggled a little with heavy suitcases up the few flights of narrow staires.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katherinekyw
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed here late April 2012 for 5 nights Highly recommend. Communication with Diocletian rooms staff regarding our arrival was easy and promptly responded to. Ivann was waiting to meet us as arranged and showed us to our room. The rooms are arranged over a retail unit, one above the other and there's no lift so if you have 'creaky' knees you may need to request a room on one of the lower levels. Rooms are clean (we had a minor issue with dust laying on top of the headboard but once mentioned this was quickly sorted out) they are also bright and airy & the bed very comfortable. The decor is plain and unfussy but this adds to the relaxing ambience. We found that the drain in the shower was a bit sluggish and a light bulb over the shower needed replacing but once again these were no sooner mention than done. There were no tea/coffee making facilities or fridge in the room. So if you like a cuppa bring your own kettle. There is a supermarket around the corner for milk, bread etc and the daily market is great for fresh fruit bread and pastries for the picnic lunch. There is also not a safe in the room.

The adjacent square is lively. The bar/ restaurant on the square offers varied live music most nights, we found this to be a plus as we could sit in the square or throw open the window & watch and listen to the action from our room if we chose. Performances ended at Midnight in general.

Split has plenty to see and do and whilst there we felt very safe wandering around the streets and promenade at night. By day there's the beach a short walk away, bus trips to neighbouring towns, walking up to the park which is on the headland over looking the town and harbour or sitting in one of the many squares with a cold beer watching the world go by. Split is also a great springboard to the many islands accessed via the ferries which depart from the port on a regular basis.

• Stayed: April 2012