“Nice apartment and location, but sub-par service”

and 1 more site!
Salvezani Apartment
Ranked #15 of 173 Split B&B and Inns
New York, NY
“Nice apartment and location, but sub-par service”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This apartment is getting three stars from me based only on its location and the apartment itself, both of which are great. If we had received even minimal service during our stay, it would easily have five stars. But unfortunately, we never even met our host. Which made for a bewildering stay without adequate information. Such as: Where is the apartment? Where do we eat breakfast? And how do we pay for our stay?

I didn't expect to have a self-serve apartment, because I had corresponded with Irina before our trip and found her to be quite helpful. The last I had heard from her was an email saying "Please let me know approx (can later) your time of arriving so we can meet you in time in the house, as we didn't live there." So a couple hours before we arrived in Split, I sent an email from the car letting her know when to meet us (at about 6pm). Didn't get anything in response. A few minutes before 6pm, I sent another email saying we were just 5 minutes away on foot. Didn't get a response. We wandered through the old town until we finally found a tiny sign on a wall (see my accompanying pictures) indicating we had arrived at the hotel. But it was still unclear to us where the hotel door was. (Turns out it's through one gate, and then there's another locked gate on the right leading to a courtyard, then the apartments are up a couple flights of stairs - see my other photos.) But this was not apparent to us, even after we found the sign. We had to ask a business owner nearby to call Irina, and after reaching her, that helpful girl informed us that there were sticky notes on the second gate telling us that our key was in the cafe nearby. (We didn't see the sticky notes because we couldn't find the gate/door...) Sure enough, the guy at the cafe had our key, and he gamely helped us get our luggage up the two flights of stairs and into our room.

The apartment is very small, and I say this as a mid-30-year-old who has lived in a 450 sq ft studio apartment in New York City for the last eight years. I am not accustomed to lavish living spaces. The apartment we had in Split has two levels - the entry level is the small sitting/kitchen space, along with a bathroom, and then there's an unusual staircase (see the photo) that leads up to the second level, which has a TV and the beds, along with a couple chairs. Note that the unusual staircase is nice to look at, but it made a 3am potty trip daunting enough that I opted to force myself back to sleep rather than find out how coordinated I was at that hour. The bed area was plenty spacious, but once we opened our two suitcases downstairs, there was no space to sit or move about. We were only there for one night though, so it was workable. The apartment is decorated very cutely, and furnished comfortably. The beds were comfortable. And the AC worked well upstairs. The shower seemed promising, until it ran out of hot water after 5 minutes. Disappointing. And cold.

After 6 hours of poking around Split, getting dinner, watching sunset, etc., we came back and were getting into bed before realizing that Irina had never told us where the included breakfast was to be eaten the following morning. We sent an email and heard back from her within the hour that breakfast was at the same nearby cafe. She also said she had come by at 8:30pm but we weren't around (true - we had been in Split for 2.5 hours at this point and were eating at dinner at 8:30pm). She also said that she would come by at 10am to check us out and collect our payment. Seems like we should have some choice as to the time, but fine - we decided to make 10am work.

Breakfast the next morning was fine - a croissant, coffee/tea, and some juice. At 10am, we took our luggage down to the courtyard and waited, but there was no Irina. She had previously told us that we could leave our luggage in the courtyard for the day until our ferry that afternoon, but we decided this didn't suit us - even though the courtyard was locked, other people (and other guests) had access to it. Plus, it was open to the sky, and it was forecast to rain. Not ideal. By 10:15am, we gave up waiting for her and inquired at the cafe (our proxy hosts), who called her cell phone and reported that she was "far away" in "the village" and that she said we should leave our money with him. What happened to her meeting us at 10am? Why could she not respond to our emails the afternoon before or send us an email pre-10am telling us that she had been delayed? It made for a frustrating stay, trying to chase down our host so we could do things like get our key or pay her before we left. I'm sure she's lovely, but it's hard to speak to that given our experience (or lack thereof) with her.

All of that said, I was happy with the apartment's location inside the palace walls. If there had been more hot water for the shower, I would have been happy with the apartment itself. But given our experience of being latchkey guests, I would look for somewhere else to stay in Split were I to find myself in the area in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank julie248
salvezani, Owner at Salvezani Apartment, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hi Julie,
and thank you for your review.
I am sorry I was not on the hand on your arrival due to some unforseen job.
We try always to do the best to our guests, but unfortunately in your case happenes some misunderstanding.
Once again sorry not to meet you in person.
Irina-owner.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
herzeliya
Reviewed September 26, 2013

we stayed 2 nights in this charming apartment .
location in the canter of the palace was great
the apartment is fully equipped and we really fill like home
Irena gave us the best treatment and we became good friends after just 2 days.

we will surly come back again

Rachel and Gadi
Israel

Room Tip: all rooms are perfect
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Old house in center of ancient city, decorated in high class style. It is surrounded by cute restaurants, museums and places to go out in gorgeous Diocletian palace. Kind hostes is always here to help. Very charming!

My husband and I enjoyed a lot!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend were pleasantly surprised by how nice the accomadation was inside. It was more like a small 2 floor apartment than a hotel room or B&B. The decor was amazing and made you feel right at home, and the apartment is 2 minutes walk to the center of the Old Town in Split. A complimentary breakfast was also included in the price.

Our host (apologies I forget her name) was more than informative and friendly, and really made us feel welcome.

All in all probably the best accomdation we stayed in on our trip to Croatia!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Friend an I have stayed for a week in the apartment and felt like a citizens of Split after the second day. Location is truly amazing and the apartment although small is equipped with all the amenities needed for comfortable stay. Loved every day spent there!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed August 21, 2013

A friend and I spent a couple of days in one of the Salvezani Apartments in Split. It was our second time there and we enjoyed it just as much as the first time. The apartment was located right in the middle of the old town within the Diocletian palace in a typical building. It is fully equipped with air conditioning and all facilities as well as very clean. Special thanks to Irina, the owner, who was very welcoming and treated us as long-time friends. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Wesel, Germany
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and me had a really nice stay at Irina`s apartment for three days. The apartment is perfectly located in the heart of the old town in a beautifully restored house. It is devided over two floors and has everything you need. We had hot summery temperatures and we were glad to have an air-conditioned sleeping room. Irina is a wonderful person, when we asked her, she always gave us best advices. Irina, we would like to come again and we recommend your apartments to all our friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple