“Not to be recommended”

Ranked #14 of 165 Split B&B and Inns
Wellington, New Zealand
“Not to be recommended”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Our experience not at all like other reviewers. Emailed and phoned owner to tell her of our arrival time but instead of meeting us as arranged, she turned up 2 hours late and blamed us for delay. Apartment while 'quirky' was also not ready being full of someone else's belongings, incuding clothes hanging in the tiny (1 yard square) 'bathroom', ironing board in the living room and dirty dishes in the sink - also bed unmade. Owner recommended 2 cafes, 1 of which we were supposed to have the included breakfast was closed all the time we were there (and no reduction for missed breakfasts). We stayed in 5 lovely apartments in Croatia but while this was the most expensive, it was not one of them.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Barbara W
salvezani, Owner at Salvezani Apartment, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
I would like to sincerely apologise that the service didn't meet your expectations.

The check-in time is 2pm on the day of the arrival. However, we will always do our best to accommodate earlier arrivals or later departures as we're aware that everyone has different travelling arrangements to and from Split. It has always been our number one priority to ensure that all of our guests fully enjoy their stay in Split.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Beautiful, quircky apartments right in the heart of Split. We enjoyed every minute of our stay and felt very welcomed by the apartment owner who went out of her way to make us comfortable. Her advise was fantastic and took us to some great restaurants. The homely feel to these wonderfully restored apartments made it very difficult to leave. I hope we get to visit Split agan one day, and if we do we will certainly be staying at Salvenzani.

Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Great location, wonderful old building. Yes, there are stairs - one flight or so. The owner went out of her way to help us find a taxi for an early-morning departure, and gave us excellent restaurant advice. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Didn't see the other apartments, but the one we stayed in was renovated superbly.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

I booked this apartment in June after seeing all the glowing reviews and then I got worried when I saw the negative review from July. My experience was very positive and I would recommend this place very highly just like the earlier reviewers.

It's true that anywhere inside the old city walls there are stairs and small passages, but in my mind, this is why you stay in an old city: to experience history. The apartment itself was actually very comfortable and the stairs up to the apartment were better maintained than the stairs in other parts of the city. We were in apartment 3.

We arrived and were met and let in by the owner's assistant or friend who showed us everything we needed. I'd recommend that you email your exact arrival time so you can be let in. It's a bit tough to find if you are brand new to the city but the location is excellent.

The apartment was quite homey, with more little details and useful things than your average rental apartment. It had a lot of character, little decorations, guidebooks and resources, and some DVDs and books to use. Still, it was very clean and orderly.

When we arrived, I took a picture of the bedroom which I've attached to this review. It was very clean and the mattress was very comfortable (firm which I like). The bedroom had very high quality windows with shutters you could use to block out or let in light. I didn't hear the bells at night and the AC worked well. The bathroom was small but had great water pressure and plenty of hot water.

Since we didn't meet the owner upon our check in, she dropped by the next day to see that we had everything we needed. She was great.

I wish there were a door between the bedroom and the living room because I wake up earlier than my husband and don't want to wake him and I couldn't figure out if the clothes washing machine had a dry cycle (but there was a drying rack which did the trick) but those were the only two remotely negative things I can say about this place. I had a great stay and the owner was wonderful to work with.

1 Thank Josie H
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I had high expectations having read the reviews decided to book an apartment at Salvezani for the night while onroute to Zagreb. After the experience we had we have drawn two major conclusions - most of the other reviews must have been written by the owner or friends of the owner and for the price charged how can the owner justify the 'over the top' rates for the standard of accommodation and poor experience on offer???
The apartment was located within the walls of the palace about 20 minutes walk from the port.
Steps outside are high and narrow and doesn't get much better inside where anyone over a size 12 would struggle even to get through the door.
The bed wasn't made and dishes piled high in the sink gave the impression the owner had slept overnight the night before as when asked why the room wasn't ready she quickly disappeared into the bedroom and changed the sheets. In the fridge was milk that had gone off and someones leftover cheese.
The bathroom was the smallest I've ever encountered and this presented two problems. The shower could only be operated with the door open and my wife who is a size 10 got stuck on the loo and I had to pull her off - goodness know how larger persons cope!
The mattress was hard and after an uncomfortable night (had to get up and close the windows due to the church/cathedral bells), the Aircon didn't work at the time of visit.
Worse still as no breakfast was provided, the owner instructs people to visit the nearby cafe for 'a continential breakfast'. Well at 9.10am the following morning the cafe was shut and the next cafe said it hadn't been open for the last two days and didn't know when it would. That was the last straw. We told the owner this but her reply was just to shrug her shoulders as if this was our fault but didn't offer to compensate for the inconvenience of having to pay for breakfast elsewhere.
MY ADVICE - AVOID THIS APARTMENT UNLESS YOU WANT TO PAY FOR THE LOCATION,HAVE A BAD NIGHTS SLEPT, NO BREAKFAST AND GIVE YOUR BODY A BAD WORKOUT GOING UP AND DOWN THE NARROW STEPS OR GETTING STUCK ON THE TOILET.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Brugge888
, Owner at Salvezani Apartment, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
This is the first that I feel to answer on some review.
First off all we always do our best to feel our guests confortable and wellcome to our country and our town.It is clear that is very difficult to meet the standards of our guests in question.The reason that I can only guess.
The house where apartments are is old close to 400years .During renovation we didn't change anything-the stairs are the same size as before where the people lived for centuryes.
Insinuation that I or my friends writen reviews before as a simple untrue.
Sometimes we alaud our guests to extend their stay in apartments specialy if they are waiting for ferry, bus ar plane without any additional charge and apartment are ready in last moment whitch was the case here (check in time 2pm).
As for the church bells- the church is there for last 1700years and this is the first time i believe that somebody complain about the church bells.
Once again I feel very sorry that we didn't meet the expectation of our guests and thanks for taking time to write the review.

Irina Salvezani, owner
apartments Salvezani
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

We too arrived after a week's sailing holiday from Split and were welcomed by Irina and shown into her wonderful little apartment right in the centre of the Palace, with all facilities including a washing machine! The apartment is very tastefully decorated and ingeniously fitted - they even managed to fit a shower into the tiny toilet. This is an excellent base for exploring old Split and the surrounding area, and Irina proved a kind and generous hostess. We hope to be back for a longer stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

I can only echo the overwhelmingly positive things that other reviewers have said. The apartments are extremely comfortable and provide the best possible location for all the best things that Split has to offer. The owner Irina was absolutely brilliant with us and made the difference between a very good holiday and a great one. The apartments are located within a few minutes of the Old Town's best bars and restaurants so a night out is easy, although bear in mind that given its location people do work close by so sometimes you do hear the locals going to work in the morning. All in all I couldn't recommend the apartments, Split and Irina enough.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple