“What just happened?”

Crooked River Tavern
Ranked #4 of 10 Restaurants in Alanson
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Bob's Place is midway between Petoskey and Mackinaw City on US 31. We have great food and drinks at reasonable prices. Additional snowmobile trailer and truck parking in back or across the street.
Saginaw, Michigan
“What just happened?”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Met family there on a Friday night for dinner. Bobs place was previously quite a nice restaurant. Limited places to eat in the area and had nice experiences before, thought we'd try again. Fairly nice interior as it has been remodeled. However the atmosphere is much like a cafeteria. Too bright and sterile. Waiter was having an extremely difficult time remembering a single beer order, delivering drinks, taking orders, delivering orders, bringing drinks after he just delivered the drink, forgetting he just did. Overall one of the oddest experiences we have ever had, kept us laughing all weekend. What was good: onion rings, and the cod. Definitely will not give this one another chance.

• Visited March 2014

Lansing, Michigan
“Unexpected company”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

A group of about 40 of us were snowmobiling through Northern Michigan and stopped in Alanson for lunch. When we walked in, the guy behind the bar gave us a "Holy cow" look. Although we were unexpected, they sat us in a back room, started sending in pitchers of pop and water, and we all ordered the special - sloppy joes and fries. The food started flowing out of the kitchen, the staff was all welcoming and accommodating, and we tore into the tasty sloppy joes and unlimited fries. It was a great experience, and everyone had a fantastic time. Staff handled the crowd without batting an eye.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Rrileyadams
Beverly Hills, Michigan
“Very fun evening!”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

While driving through Alanson we stopped in at Bob's for a drink and a bite to eat. The villages Christmas party was going on. The bar area was very busy. We had a lot of laughs and the staff was outstanding. We ended up not eating but I saw several peoples plates come out and they looked really good. i overheard people liking the food.
The restaurant has been taken over by a new manager. She has big plans for the place, according to what she said to us.
I hope for the best for the place. Little Alanson needs a local restaurant with good food to stop into.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Clark W
Northern Michigan
“If you know good food, don't waste your cash here”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I guess I'll preface this by saying I have high standards when it comes to food. Don't confuse my high standards though for being snobbish...my favorite dining experience is gourmet food...in a dive setting, lol...think diners, drive-ins and dives kind of thing. Anyway, we've been to the "old" bob's several times and were never really impressed, but it was close to our home, cheap and convenient.

I was excited when the restaurant reopened because the restaurant options in Alanson are pretty limited and I was looking forward to a new joint to become a "regular". First, the good: The new owners did a nice spruce up inside...nothing over the top, but they definitely dropped a few bucks and cleaned the joint up. I sat at the bar while I waited for my party and had a couple of beers...the bartender was EXTREMELY friendly...great bar service...I've done a fair bit of bar tending and this guy (whose name escapes me) is really doing a good job. Once my party arrived, we were seated quickly and our server was very friendly. Honestly, we threw the server a couple of curve balls in our ordering and she handled our special requests with a smile and a great "can do" attitude. Unfortunately, this is where I must end "the good" portion of this review.

Our food came out and was ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. There were four adults and two kids with us and to a person, everyone was extremely disappointed with our food. To make matters worse, our server who had been great up until this point, picked up on our disappointment and kind of copped an attitude about it. When she asked how everything was, we were honest and told her it was awful...rather than doing something about it, she just walked away. I don't know how anyone can say the fish fry is good here, it was some of the worst fish fry I've ever had. When I was talking to the bartender, he told me they get fresh lake perch every other day, so a couple of my party ordered this...IT IS NOT LAKE PERCH. There were two orders of lake perch and one cod...the perch pieces were bigger than the cod! Anyone who knows fish, knows lake perch fillets are tiny...if this was perch, it was ocean perch. Anyway, all the fish was just dripping grease and the batter was so thick I could have sworn the fish was dunked in pancake batter. Next, the special was an open faced NY strip steak sandwich, which two of us ordered. Instead of the smallish NY strip that we expected to find on the sandwich, we received a dried out, 1/4" thick slice of prime rib from the previous Saturday's prime rib special. Now, I don't mind a PR sandwich, but it was not what we had ordered...and even if it was what we had ordered, it was bad...dried out, beyond well done and just pathetic looking. The only thing that hit our table that was decent was the french fries...and they were just o.k. We were really asking ourselves "how can someone who has any idea what good food is let this product out of the kitchen"?

I really hope this place gets it's act together, I'd love to have a good little local restaurant for a quick, casual dinner...it's sad to drive by everyday at dinner time and see a restaurant full of empty tables. I don't know who's running this place, but I'd be amazed to find out they have any restaurant experience whatsoever. Bob's place needs someone to jump in who knows what they're doing and take over...before it's too late.

• Visited September 2013
Ann R, Manager at Crooked River Tavern, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
I am sorry that your experience was not a good one. I am the new manager here at Bob's Place and would like to invite you back to try us again. Since I was not here in Sept. 2013, I can not address the issues that you had back then. I would like to say that our fish are fresh, our burgers are juicy and our onion rings are homemade as are all of our soups.
I hope you will give us another try!
Beverly Hills, Michigan
“Came back and was pleasantly surprised.”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This visit to Bobs Place was definitely the best trip I've had to date. Whatever changes they made in the kitchen did the trick because the food was GREAT! My friend had the fish which I tried and it was amazing. I had the wet burrito which was really good (my sides of rice and refried beans were somewhat cold but edible) . The prime rib sandwich was amazing! The waitress was very friendly and knowledgeable. She took good care of us! Will be back!

• Visited October 2013