“Wonderful building”

36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“Wonderful building”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

we were lucky enough to be able to take a tour through this wonderful Opera House and to sit in on part of a rehearsal for Madam Butterfly - I can quite see why it is the number one TA attraction in this fascinating city

2 Thank Jackie S

• Turkish first
Bucharest
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Take care with online booking”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I had a wonderful experience seeing Barber of Seville in this incredibly beautiful building on 30 August. However, I had a problem with the booking which resulted in my having to pay twice. I used the site http://opera.odessa.ua/en/tickets/ which has a link under each performance, which takes you to an online booking tool. It's all in Ukrainian, so maybe I missed something, but it seemed pretty straightforward, so I went ahead, chose my seat and entered my card details. After I'd done this, I just got nothing- the system took me back to the beginning again as if I was about to make a new booking. I received no confirmation e mail. But my card was charged, and the seat was clearly shown as booked. I tried to call the Karabas agency which is the retailer, called a few numbers in Odessa from their website, but only one person spoke English and she told me to call another number, for which there was no reply. The Karabas agency has no system for contacting them electronically- no contact form and no e mail. I filled in the Opera's contact form and got no reply. Finally, I asked the English speaking guesthouse where I was due to stay in Crimea, to call to see if they could solve the problem. They were told that I should go to one of the Citrus Discount shops in Odessa, when I arrived, with my card and a copy of the bank statement showing the payment. As I was passing through Odessa for a few hours on 24 August on my way to Crimea, I called into the Citrus shop on Preobragenskaya 42. I spoke to 2 young men who were helpful and spoke good English but they said they could do nothing without a booking code, and that there was nobody available at Karabas. As I didn't want to risk not getting into the opera, I just cut my losses and bought another ticket from them. However, they were supposed to contact Karabas to try to get me my money back on the first booking, and of course I heard nothing.
The technical problem may have been with my hotmail account- I also didn't receive a registration notification from Ukrainian Railways.
I don't know how non-Ukrainian speakers are supposed to buy tickets in advance. From a hotel, I suppose, for a hefty commission, but the Opera and Karabas really should make the system more user-friendly and offer at least limited customer service in English and online, given that the Odessa Opera is an international venue. Nobody should be forced to give up and buy another ticket.
I'd be interested in other people's experiences.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank MarkPBucharest
Khimki, Russia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Opera "Knyaz Igor" - you should see that!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Traditional Russian opera with reach decorations and beautiful costumes. The actors were great! The tickets are cheap!

Henderson, Kentucky
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Swan Lake”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

It was Beautiful and would suggest that you attend a show if you are in town. the Ballet was just wonderful and magical.

key west and new york
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Wonderful Swan Lake”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Saw a very fine production here in this lovely building. Swan Lake is a tourist production all thru Russia and Ukraine for the summer, but this was an excellent performance. Tickets were $12. Go to box office when you arrive to buy tickets.

2 Thank ellentravels