“Still good in many aspects”

Black Sea Risheliyevskaya
Ranked #48 of 85 Hotels in Odessa
Reviewed May 28, 2010

I first stayed at this hotel 2 years ago (my initial write-up is on this thread)

This time I came in with my wife. We opted for a cheaper room than I had on my previous visit - 2 single beds with shower.

The shower is small and is located on a rather high platform so it’s a bit of an “adventure” but manageable - but the room was on 11th floor with balcony, had a small refrigerator\bar (don’t drink anything out of that – you can get stuff from any grocery store much cheaper and just store it in the refrigerator if so desired) and was clean and everything in working order – I was leaving 10 UAH every morning for the maid…).

We got it for 500 UAH\night which was about $63.00 and paid for breakfast separately (70.00 UAH\pp) when we ate it in hotel (buffet style and plenty of food)

The hotel also provides a small map of downtown area in English so you should be fine with that.

I STILL did not see any prostitutes hangin out in the lobby as was alledged by someone here. There is security at both doors and they are pretty strict as to who goes into a lobby (never mind to a room)

In short - I still recommend this hotel to a "reasonably budget-minded" traveler

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Black Sea Risheliyevskaya

Reviewed November 15, 2009

This was the biggest surprise I've ever gotten from a hotel website. ON the internet it looks great, but in person it absolutely sucks. The room was worn and dirty. The bed was really not something a U.S. middle class person would want to sleep on. They charged me about $90 night, and I left the next day after securing another hotel. Stay away, there are plenty of good ones in Odessa. Look closer to the harbor.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MakoMack
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Last year I have made the mistake to book myself a flight for a long weekend in Odessa in Ukraine.
I made an even bigger mistake to book myself in a 4 star hotel, instead of a 5 star one. The price was the main reason for this. I ended up paying around 70euro per night.
The Hotel I stayed in was the Bleak Sea Hotel in Richelyevskaya street. The moment I arrived there ; I already regretted my booking. The reception staff wasnt what you would call friendly and helpfull. (it would get better the next few days). I needed to change some money at the moneycounter (no staff there, so, I needed to wait for over 10 minutes). Then I was given the key to my room. After looking for it for 5 minutes (not really anyone around to tell me which way to go); I have found my junior suite. Propable one of the smallest rooms in a 4 star hotel I have ever stayed in. Must have been not more the 15sqm. The bathroom was clean and there was hot water; but that sums up the only positives about the room. Isolation wasnt good; so I heard all the noise from the street. The bed was uncomfortable. Thank god there was vodka in the mini bar; so, that was the first thing I did ; drinking some vodka.
I didnt want to stay in my room longer then necessary, but since I have to wait for a co-traveller who only arrived a few hours later; I decided to have a look at the city first. After being outside for 5 minutes; I decided to go back to my hotel ; I have had rarely a more unsafe feeling as in this town. People were watching me; looking very unfriendly; I didnt dare to look anyone in the face, being scared to become beaten up.
So, I decided to go to the casino in my hotel; I didnt play anything; just had a drink. For security reason I was checked out, although i was staying in this hotel (I couldnt leave my coat on,....) ; the prices of drink were reasonable, but service was unfriendly and slow.
Finally my friend showed up and we decided to go out to try the local food. I cant remember the name of the restaurant anymore; but this was good. Friendly staff, good food and decent prices. After a bottle of wine; we didnt feel scared anymore and decided to have a drink in one of the local bars. I couldnt complain about that ; the atmosphere was good; the drinks werent too expensive; the girls were pretty.
Around 2 am, we went home, or that was the idea. I didnt got far, because outside the bar I was attacked (up untill today without knowing what the reason was). The guys didnt speak a word of english and my Russian is not existing, but the only thing I could understand was American. They must have thought I was from america (which I am not) and that was a good enough reason for the attack. I lost my money; didnt got any help from anyone (except for some girl who tried the guys to stop). When it was over (completely being beaten up ; blood everywhere,....), I finally managed a taxi to take me to my hotel, where I stayed for the next 2 days.
This trip was an absolute disaster in every way possible.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2009

An old, rather DUMPY hotel - with prostitutes sitting in the lobby and on EVERY floor as you exit the elevator! A friend from Odessa told me later that this hotel was also the favorite hotel of prostitutes working the tourists on Deribasovskaya St (the most popular street for natives and tourists in Odessa). Probably the ONLY reason (besides for the prostitutes) that someone would stay here is that it is VERY CLOSE to the TRAIN STATION.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
11  Thank JH_Hill
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I liked this hotel.The hotel is in a good position for almost everything you would wish to see or do in Odessa. Close to the famous Privos Market, train and bus stations.
Rishelievskaya Street leads straight into town but its a good walk. The room was slightly dated but functional and clean. The bathroom was always kept spotless. The continental breakfast was very good. The choice of food was in my view excellent. There are safes to rent at a very reasonable price. Receptionists speak good english but were perhaps a little aloof. There are good resturaunts close by too but dont believe all you read on the menu. Many dishes are not available. Odessa is a very interesting city.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Foreststag
Reviewed December 20, 2008

I traveled there from the U.S. I had the suite for $172 a night. I have to say, for that kind of money, I expected alot more. With that being said. The room was o.k. There was no flat screen television, which is advertised, the carpet in the room was old, discolored and dirty, the couch was ok, the bed was very firm. The highlight was the bathroom, which was large and updated. The staff was professional and helpful but not friendly at all. And under no circumstances would I use the cab drivers that are in the hotel, they tried very hard to rip you off. My stay there was pleasant, and if it were cheaper I would stay there everytime, but one thing really rung my bell in a bad way. I checked out of my room early so I could eat and get to the airport with plenty of time to spare, after checking out I asked if they could hold on to my one bag of luggage while I ate in the restaurant. When I came out of the restaurant and asked for my bag they tried to get me to pay them UAH25. That is not alot of money, but I refused to pay. I asked to see where that price came from. The manager came out. They ended up giving me my bags. I was very disappointed and felt that they were trying to scam me. Also, they charged me for using the mini bar, which i did not. I took a pic of the mini bar when i got there and when i checked out. After showing pics to manager, they waived those cost. Again, maybe it was a mistake, but I felt the scam was on.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mdriddler
Reviewed October 11, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised and entirely happy with my stay here. As a senior traveling alone, I wanted something reliable. The bathroom looked new and was very clean--even had a good hairdryer which my much pricier hotel up in Kiev didn't have. The bedroom with 2 twins was just fine. (I happen to like the very firm beds with their duvet covers.) The breakfast was a bit sparse for 55 HUA, but I wrapped up a sandwich from the great bread and cold cuts, so got two meals out of it. The staff spoke good English and were very helpful. The hotel is just 2 blocks from train station and also 2 blocks from one of the largest markets in Europe. It s a bit of a hike (15 minutes) up the street to the heart of town, but if you can figure out the buses just 2 HUA (50 cents) will get you up and another 2 will get you back. And by the way, I loved Odessa--much brighter, livelier, and friendlier than Kiev.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo