“Clean and Functional”

Black Sea Risheliyevskaya
Ranked #58 of 87 Hotels in Odessa
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I must admit having read the reviews I wasn't looking forward to my stay here but was pleasantly surprised. The room was of a good size and clean and the swimming pool too was pretty good.
The location is ok - though a little far from the centre of town and the staff were actually very pleasant.
The breakfast though is overpriced IMO and the fitness suite costs extra (approx €5 per visit)

Room Tip: I upgraded to the double room with bath rather than the pretty small single. It was an extra €10ish...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Scottybower

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel is located 2 blocks from the train and bus station. It is close to great restaurants and the opera house. You can walk and see much of the downtown that is within a 4 to5 block walk. Odessa is very European during warm weather tourist season. The pool is good sized and has good open swim hours. The on site breakfast was not the best. very bland food and not well made. I ate out after 1 day of that. the front desk staff was very helpful and pleasant. they spoke good english and I had no problems with any staff. I stay in a hotel over 225 nights a year for business so I can look and see good and bad in all hotels. The rooms were small but this is a post soviet block hotel and the worst issue with the room was the carpeting. It was 10 years past it use and lifetime. They were remodeling some where in the hotel the day I was leaving. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gunfighter4
Reviewed August 5, 2013

After having travelled throughout the Ukraine, I am aware that hospitality standards are not comparable to other European countries. Nevertheless the service provided by the Black Sea hotel did in no way meet up with the four stars the hotel has awarded itself. Neglected rooms, poor breakfast and rude staff (a firm "njet" in response to any question asked at the reception, a "computer says no" attitude at the indoor service center, cleaning ladies ignoring the do not disturb sign to enter your room at 9.00 a.m. and corrupt staff charging money for use of the luggage room).

Hotel nevertheless has a convenient location near the Odessa train station as well as an interesting stripper-esque restaurant and indoor pool

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Anna B
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel claims to be four star. If that is the case, then it is very poor. The room was OK but beds were not made. Mold in the shower. Reception staff were rude. I appreciate that English is not their first language but they should know 'please' and 'thank you'. Got stuck in the lift!! Convenient for Railway Station.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank DesboradoTim
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This isn't a luxury accommodation. The beds could be better, the room is tight, but overall it does the trick for those budget-minded travellers who need a good location with the basic amenities. This hotel has a large foyer for groups to gather. It is at a busy interesection making it accessible to taxis and is a five blocks (European) walk to the Opera and city restaurants. Overall is is a good location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cynthia F
Reviewed August 20, 2012

An ugly tower block, a 20-25min walk from the Opera House. My room was small, the aircon was noisy, the taps wrongly labelled, I had to wrestle with the shower curtain and dry myself on rough towels, the room furniture was cheap, drab formica. A good breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LDB65
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I don't expect the same standards when I travel abroad, so I was not disappointed. I shared a room with my cousin, so we were cramped with two beds in an L against the wall. We had carry-on suitcases and really had place for only one. The shower is a tiny plastic box you step up on and wrap the plastic shower curtain around. It was clean. The water worked.
The beds had 2 sheets; one is folded up under the pillow and the bed cover is a blanket. I guess we are supposed to unfold the sheet to cover ourselves and place the bed cover on top if we want to be warmer. The air conditioner worked perfectly though the weather was great - nice sea breeze on the top (11th) floor.
The beds were made every day, but new glasses never replaced the used ones from the previous day. We asked for a roll of toilet paper one night because the one roll in the room had run out. Someone brought us a pack of something that looked like table napkins. The next day we did get a new roll.
What I did like is there is a great indoor pool and exercise facilities. I got a great massage for a fraction of the cost of what a massage costs in USA.
Hotel is on a noisy street, so if you are a light sleeper, you might want to choose some place else.
The first night I paid extra for a buffet breakfast. It was decent, but you can eat much cheaper at one of the many cafes all around.
The hotel was full of Russian speakers, so for the locals this hotel is fine. Americans might be disappointed, but since I am a flexible "go-with-the-flow" kind of traveler, it was good enough for sleeping, showering and working on my computer which I am doing as I sit in their lobby. Free, fast wifi too.

Room Tip: Top floor has a nice view and breeze.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family