“nice hotel, quite pricey for the remote location, good food”
Review of Villa Le Premier

Villa Le Premier
Ranked #58 of 81 Hotels in Odessa
London, United Kingdom
“nice hotel, quite pricey for the remote location, good food”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed in the hotel August 2-6, 2012. Location is absolutely out of the way, though very close to the beach. To reach the city center of Odessa you take a 15-20 minutes ride in a taxi.
The decor of the hotel is vegas-meets-versace, yet in Odessa it felt quite organic. As of August 2012 the hotel was still very new, I think it started working a couple of months ago - everything sparkled. I stayed in a Royal suite, which was not a suite at all, as advertised, but a large room separated into two zones. Rather large bathroom with a couple of cockroaches lumping around at all times. Thank God I don't have a phobia. Good value for 800 USD a night? I am not sure, it felt more like 500-600 USD, but then again, I am not good with money, and cockroaches in the bathroom never help in assessing the value-for-money ratio. Cheap bed linens and uncomfortable mattresses did not help.
The service people are very nice, everything went smoothly, they were accommodating, though a couple of episodes left me with a raised eyebrow. I asked to reserve a box at Ibiza, the much talked-about nightclub. Not only did I get charged the taxi fair of the hotel clerk going to club to make a pre-payment for the box (that, with their concierge service advertised on the website as "expert"), but when I came to the club I had to pay an extra couple of hundred bucks to get a box that was actually nice. I did not mind paying, but the devil is in the detail and the hotel, having charged me extra for the service, failed miserably to get me a good table, as requested, though apparently it was possible. Last day of my stay, it took 15 minutes for someone to stop by my table when I came to breakfast to ask me whether I wanted to something. The order arrived exactly 55 minutes after I sat down. I was in a very good mood throughout my stay, but usually things like that upset me very much.
On a positive note, I absolutely must compliment the hotel on the food. It is incredible, very unexpectedly so. The supreme quality of the milk products and the usually mundane affairs like fruit salad and bread basket (they make their own bread) at breakfast I had for three days must have given me a hint of the quality of food in the hotel generally, but the dinner I ordered last night of my stay was way above what I expected. Preposterously slow service, but very much worth the wait.
All in all - I cannot say I was disappointed. Generally, in this part of the world I expect to be overcharged, to get grumpy service, and to get bad food. So when I got smiles from the hotel's receptionists and was fed very well, that left me... Pleasantly surprised. Rated average because there is no option for gating just "good" and I am not sure the place deserves a "very good". Would I come back - not sure, but then again, Odessa was spur-of-the-moment decision to start with.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends