“Terrible. Overpriced and not as advertised.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stella Residence Club

Stella Residence Club
Ranked #29 of 78 Hotels in Odessa
Chisinau, Moldova
“Terrible. Overpriced and not as advertised.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have stayed 2 nights at this "5-star hotel" - it hardly deserves to be a 3-star. Let me describe all pros and cons, but if you want it in some words - avoid it if you can. It is not worth the money you pay.

Pros:
- Pool. We haven't used it because it was quite crowded. But I can see it as the only reason you can select this hotel for a stay.

Cons:
- Location. Even if it's near the sea - it's very far from city center. More than that - it's not easy to find as it is not shown on the map. There is no sign on the road, absolutely nothing, and the map at booking site leads you to wrong direction. We spent a while trying to locate it.
- Service. It's a common problem in Ukraine, but I expected much better service from a 5-star hotel. Girls at the reception couldn't find our booking (there are not so many rooms in the hotel they couldn't arrange a single reservation), guys at the hotel parking didn't remember our car and didn't provide any help
- Interior design. This might be my personal opinion, but hotel is absolutely tasteless. They're trying to show you it's expensive, but cheap materials and overall condition is poor.
- Room condition. When we came, it was completely smoked out. When we asked for another room, all they did was to open the window and turned on the fan. We have entered the room at 16-00, so they had enough time to make the room clean. All furniture is used and requires renovation.
- Bathroom condition. I stayed at many hotels around the world, but I have never seen a "noname" bathroom mixer. Usually it's Grohe or Hansgrohe, but it was cheap mixer, very old and dirty. The same thing is about all the stuff in the bathroom. Add terrible smell of mold and you will imagine a 5-star hotel...
- Prices in the mini-bar. They're twice higher than in any expensive bar in Odessa. They don't even offer a bottle of complimentary water
- No view from the balcony (business standard room). And we could not close the door to the balcony - we were happy it was not so cold outside.

Breakfast was just ok, but not worth overall room price. They offer some additional dishes for extra payment (like vegetable mix) - it's absolutely terrible practice for a hotel that charges more than $200 per night.

Maybe 10 years ago, when everything was new and they were working for a name - it was a good hotel. Now you're paying for old furniture in a tasteless builing with poor service. You can stay at many great Odessa hotels at this price - don't repeat my mistake. Stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Business standard is terrible. I think other rooms are too.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Lempert

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Odessa, Ukraine
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,530 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you're looking for a hotel with 'modern look', lounge style... there's no other choice than Maristella Club.

If you're looking for a hotel with huge SPA/pool/fitness area... there's no other choice than Maristella Club.

I stayed at many other Odessa hotels - such as Frederic Koklen, Otrada, Bristol, Continental etc. and they're all 'old school', with antique looking furniture, stiff.

At Maristella Club I'm normally taking a Junior Suite which offers room and taste. The room rate includes breakfast which you can enjoy at the restaurant, at the terrace or in the room (no surcharge). The selection is fantastic and you can order as much as you like: Kasha, Omelet with spinach, tomatoes and cheese, fried sausages etc, - plus fantastic coffee.

Especially in winter months Maristella is a superb choice since you can relax at the very nice and huge pool, have a SPA treatment.

Yes, Maristella Club isn't centrally located - but taxi in Odessa is very cheap. We paid between EUR 3 and 4 for the 10 - 15 minutes ride to the center, EUR 2 to restaurant ROKKA.

A big minus is the wall-mounted hair dryer. But if you ask reception they bring you a real one.

Odessa in winter? Fantastic, especially when you stay at Maristella Club.

P.S.: I had a pre-paid rate which doesn't allow change of date. But since I had to chance my travel dates I called and without any problem they allowed to switch dates.

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are fantastic!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HONkiev
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

During winter/spring/fall... Odessa is perfect for relaxing and enjoying the city. Maristella is a great place for a quiet week end even if it's outside the center. Rooms are amazingly huge and with great amenities. Spa is great even if the swimming pool is open to non-resident... wich can make the place very crowdy. The only problem in this hotel during winter are restaurant and bar... small and not friendly at all. Food is also average. Suite are great and really bigs.

Room Tip: Seaviews rooms are the only choice... the view from others is a pity.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bubbles_please
Konstantin H, General Manager at Stella Residence Club, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Bubbles_please,
Thank you very much for your visit to Maristella club and for your
review. This winter we are glad to offer a new seasonal menu for our
Guest. You may choose the best dishes of the Odessa and European cuisine. New Japaneese menu offers more than 20 rolls.

Looking forward to welcome you in Maristella Club!

Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed one night here, on business. The reception desk staff were helpful, and the sultry offer of a spa or massage on arrival intriguing, but after being ripped off by the 'taxi' from the airport I declined their favours.
The elevators are typically over decorated, but very slow.
My room, 304, on the fourth floor, was an adequate size. The bed was about six inches high, and a wall of mirrored closet doors seemed to make the room more brothel like!
A safe, stocked mini bar etc. were present but no writing paper, or area to sit at a desk. Free wifi was available, as was TV. The phone worked, but remember the nonstandard ring tones etc.
The bathroom was large with a heated floor. A full four piece included a bidet. The shower was a 'rainshower' and very refreshing. The bathroom would have been better without the hordes of ants nesting in the wall/floor opposite the toilet.
The hotel has a pool, and a restaurant. The pool was popular. The restaurant cme well recommended and was excellent but overpriced.
The porter/waiter I met offered to change US$ for me. His rate was a little high, but not excessive.
I would stay here again, but only on business.

Room Tip: 304 has a fine view of a lot of construction!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Steveandchristine
Dear Steve and Christine,

Thank you for your full and detail review! I am sure it will be helpfully
for our further Guests. Its was usefully for us to improve our service
and quality as well.

Hope to see you again in Odessa!

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

Maristella proved to be exactly what I was looking for when I sought out a beach vacation in the Ukraine: top quality resort/hotel with all the amenities. They are directly in front of a beautiful stretch of clean, full service beach and just a short drive from Arcadia (6 euro taxi, 5 min) for the Beach Clubs in the evening and a bit more from Odessa (18 euro, 15 min) for the restos.

The hotel itself has immaculate rooms - top quality beds, showers and amenities.

The spa at the hotel has a world class gym and pool plus a fantastic masseuses and friendly staff.

Overall, the rest of the hotel staff was very friendly and responsive, while only a few of the wait staff struggled with English.

Top Marks Maristella - thank you for a wonderful weeklong stay!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravelingMat007
Dear TravelingMat007,

Thank you very much for your choise and a review!
Our team will be happy to welcome you this year in Odessa!

United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

I would not recommend to book this hotel (marked as 5*) in high season. You could happen in the situation, when they will be oberbooked and will not provide you with the accomodation. We had this story on the 12th of June: with 100% prepaid room, the hotel didn't provide us with the accomodation in time (after 2 pm), and didn't even propose the alternative room... So, we had to wait for 1 hour (till 3 pm) and no room was availbale.
As a result we have moved to another hotel, and our vacation was spoiled. The management of the hotel didn't even consider my pregnancy (6m) and didn't provide with the propper service. No appologize and no sorries....
Dear hotel owners: it is not 5* hotel, sorry...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank nkaznacheyeva
Dear Nadezhda,

I am sorry so much about your disappointment caused with overbooking
in Maristella club. In case of overbooking we provide for our guest
a higher category room free of charge. If the hotel is full we always
find some alternative hotels nearby and provide a free
transportation. The last options were offered for you that time.

I would like to apologize once again for this inconvenience and wish
a good health for you newborn child!

Kyiv, Ukraine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

I was planning to go to this hotel end of April-beginning of May 2011, booked a standart room, then due to unforseen reasons had to cancell my booking. According to their cancellation policy, it is possible to cancel your booking 72 hours prior to your date of arrival. Which I exactly did. To my big surprise the manager of the hotel said that they already withdrew the money from the credit card (600 Euro per 3 days !!!) and it is impossible to return them!! I couldn't beleive my ears, and this is happening in a five-star hotel as they claim themselves! The only possible variant which the manager offered is to put this money on a deposit, meaning that I would be able to come to a hotel any time during the year using this money. Yeah, thanks a lot! I sent an e-mail to the manager - never received a reply. I had to call my bank and ask them to cancel this transaction in order to get my money back! A very disapointing experience, and for sure no second chance to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple