“Nice place, center of town”

Odessa Executive Suites
Ranked #101 of 261 Specialty Lodging in Odessa
Oak Park, California
“Nice place, center of town”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

OES is smack along the best part of the "Walking street in Odessa. The owner is an American, and the girls who work the front desk speak great English. They are helpful, and even organize tours for guests. The restaurant serves a breakfast geared towards westerners, and is rather minimalist. Prices are reasonable, and rooms are all apartments.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Standish, Michigan
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I believe that the rooms are a little less extravagent than some in the US, but surely no worse that what I have seen in places like Germany and UK. This is not a bad thing. You are in Ukaine, so You have Ukrainian accomodations. However, I was comfortable and blessed with very good service. I had two way taxi service to the airport in Odessa.The staff also helped Me with non hotel related problems that I had encountered. I was offered Opera tickets for exactly the face value. I had flowers sent for the exact list price. I had a tasty, nice breakfast for two as I wished, at no cost, every morning of My stay. So, I can say that I was never charged a service commission by this hotel. The staff recommended that I tour the Catacombs, and offered to introduce Me to an interpeter. I did do this and it was one of My fondest memories of My trip to Odessa. The english at the front desk is excellent, and the english of other staff, housekeeping, drivers, etc. is good. The location is within 1/4 block of Deribasovskaya Street. This is a street that has all that You may need for neccessities and entertainment. All within walking distance of Your room. There are numerous taxis, city buses, and trolleys to get You to other sites in Odessa and to the beach at the Black Sea. Again, all within walking distance. The night time street is well lit. The presence of officers patroling the street was noted by Myself and they were also helpful and polite when asked for directions.
My room was rather small, (#22) but just fine for a solo traveler. Several times I had three guests for dinner. A little tight maybe, but enjoyable. The wi-fi was disabled for repairs during My visit. I was told by front desk the I could "tether" to one of the two phone jacks. I was offered a "bootstrap" for My PC, or instructed where I could purchase one. I had My own with Me so all was well. There was no additional charge to do this. As I served for three years in the service in Europe (Germany), I feel that I was prepared for the style of furnishings that I would find. Considering that Ukraine is formerly a state in the old USSR, I was pleased that all was as well as I found it. As I am a Carpenter by trade, and My interests are such, I could see that The Ukaine people are working to improve their infrastructure. I am sure that in the future, this hotel will upgrade as well. I will hope that the modifcations and decor stay of a Ukraine blend and no other! I am hopeful that in the future, an elevator will be added for the elderly or disabled. I will say that I did not encounter any "Down" things that one would not find anywhere else in the world. Like anywhere else, when You come to Odessa, or Ukraine in general, look for what the people do well. You will enjoy Your stay with them. If You wish to look for the bad, go home and find it there first! I will gladly...and likely be here again.

Room Tip: I enjoyed a quiet upper level room that overlooked the courtyard and I could see the night sky, moon...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jerome T
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We will not be returning here and advise any future guest of Odessa Executive Suites to be thoroughly prepared for multiple mishaps.

We booked a deposit for our Loft Catagory A Suite online because of the optimum location on Deribasovskaya St, which is the bustling business and restaurant center of the city. We arrived via personal transport from another part of the Ukraine for a 2 day stay. Only the photos on the website accurately depict the accommodations. Although the lofts are spacious, do not expect American standards of service, interior details, cleanliness or amenities to be consistently delivered – there is no insular “comfort, safety and convenience’ of a Western world experience reliably, realistically attainable here. Odessa Executive Suites simply cannot and do not provide all that is represented on the website. Management response to Trip Advisor guest reviews is also appalling and takes no responsibility for it’s own failings, as further proof of over representation.

This ‘western style hotel experience’ is barely attainable in the Ukraine. Travellers, be aware & savvy that Ukraine is a country of a much poorer infrastructure and largely subject to much lower standards and very ambivalent attitude to failures in services and amenities, if they are available at all. Despite this hotel’s 'American Ownership' - the services available are way over-stated and adopt a typical Eastern European tactic of mis-representation to lure the affluent western traveller unfamiliar with the inconsistent standards of this country. The website’s page 2 "executive suites description" of arrival is lofty, at best. Certainly not ‘Loft Type A’.

We entered the hotel to find 2 young woman at a glass enclosed lobby office, were provided a key to our room and told that our luggage would follow. We found our own way 4 flights up the winding & slippery marble stairs. Travellers with any accessibility issues or difficulty climbing steep stairs should be aware of this compromised access and no elevator. Upon entering the room # 36, it was dark and musty smelling, so we opened the un-screened window to allow for ventilation. Loud music blared from the shops & street below. The luggage did follow several minutes after, but there was no “in-room orientation” to amenities and appliances provided. We were left to discover issues on our own. So, evidently, be prepared to call/ask for your "orientation".

Fortunately, my husband speaks Russian and was able to discuss in detail the room issues to at least temporarily resolve them. It may not be the case for English speakers. The hot water did not work and the wall mounted tank/heater in the kitchen had no operation instructions. Wifi and tv did not operate, and there also were no instructions. The website states 'in room wifi' - which is not the case and should not be depended upon. A hotel handyman came to the room and confirmed there is no wifi signal in rooms, only in the courtyard and lobby. Therefore, displaying a sign on the in-room desk with wifi log-in and pass word info was pointless. He instructed us on the tv, which had no less than three remotes and then, flipped the multiple dials and switches on the tank to heat the water. The bathroom could have been cleaner, had a mildew edged shower curtain and should have had a full toweling set for 2. There was a set of 2 bath towels and 1 hand towel but no wash cloths and no bath mat for the floor which again is hazardous on slippery polished stone floors. The studio like kitchenette was equipped with serving ware, the fridge supplied with a few cold drinks and a posted pricelist, the linens on the bed were white cotton and clean but overall the furnishings are shabby. The local area map provided was full of advertisements for Ukrainian marriage services, erotic massage and coupon offers for ‘romantic meetings’. Hmm, not exactly what we had planned for our tour itinerary, thanks.

My husband and I had a few business contacts and friends to meet in town so spent half a day coming & going from the hotel at different intervals. At one point, I asked the front desk to relay a message to my husband of my whereabouts as our separate appointments had overlapped. When my husband arrived back to the lobby to inquire after me and any messages, he was not informed as requested and left to wonder until my return. This inattentiveness to guests cannot be overlooked. It was another unexplained failure and inconvenience despite our time sensitive efforts.

The next day, the hot water again stopped operating and being after 6pm in the evening, there was no front desk staff available to call. We had opera & dinner plans so we just gave up and took cold showers. We had also earlier inquired about purchasing opera tickets with the front desk. There was a signboard that offered these and other excursions. The front desk mentioned there would be a service fee of an additional $100.UAH/$12.USD. This is a racket. The tickets were so nominally priced that this service fee was comparably high and so we opted to purchase at the opera house box office, just a short walk away. The hotel lobby sign posted a 7pm performance and so we planned accordingly. Another disappointment, we arrived at the opera house to learn that the opera had begun 1 hour earlier at 6pm. Who knows who was wrong - regardless, there had been no schedule updates to be found and another failure had occurred.

The worst experience came on our departure/check out. We had paid for our stay upfront and in full with cash but also had a credit card on file. We communicated multiple times to the front desk about our early 3:30am check out for a 5:30am flight from Odessa International Airport. We required a wake up call and taxi at that time in order to connect to the only non stop flight to Moscow that day. At 3am, there was a knock on the door and we were instructed to go to the lobby. We hauled our own bags back down the 4 flights of stairs and were met by the non-english speaking night deskman. He barked in Russian to my husband that he needed to check the minibar and receive payment. We had a credit card on file so we simply asked they reconcile any charges to the card. But the deskman insisted upon returning to the room, inspecting it and receiving payment for the $12. USD due in Ukrainian Grivnas. We had none, having exchanged the last of them the night before. We only had large American bills. Again, we requested the credit card be charged. But the deskman was defensive, had no explanation for being unable to process a credit card and was insistent for the $12 in exact cash. Our taxi and flight awaited this petty dispute and inept handling. The deskman was insistent on the $12 USD to the point of infuriating and total stupidity. Clearly the shady and highly cash only Ukrainian operating system was at work. Good service it was not. I demanded to speak to another night manager apparently available 24 hours but one was no where to be seen. After the ensuing disagreement, my husband was forced to leave me standing in a dark courtyard with our luggage and the belligerent deskman who stood, arms crossed, watching me suspiciously as though we were attempting a late nite hijinks for a $12. mini-bar tab. My husband had to go out to dark city streets at 3:30am in search of a 24hr. currency exchange. There were a gathering of taxi drivers hanging around outside and knowing Odessa, it heightened the potential for risk, as many of these drivers extort tourists and are clearly corrupt or part of all manner of Odessa crime rings ever present & at work. My husband ended up having to be driven over 25 minutes round trip to the even shadier train station and back in order to change the bills. It was not only inexcusable but potentially very dangerous business at that time of night. It was a terrible experience and highly stressful start to 18hrs+ journey back to the US.

I strongly suggest to the 'American management' that the website be re-worked, the staff get needed fundamental training, and all operational efforts be otherwise restructured to avoid such total mishaps. And seriously re-consider that sex service filled brochure. The real misrepresentation here is that Guests may get the idea that it’s more like the “Executive Suites of ill-repute”.

If we return to Odessa, we may book nearby and pretty Hotel Mozart instead. It has a lovely bar and we understand they have also have an in-house plastic surgery center there that we may use to remove the deep frown lines we acquired during this last trip.

Room Tip: Read the review, decide for yourself.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank nicolachipps

Travelers are raving about these Odessa hotels

Belgium
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The location of the hotel is very comfortable and the size of the rooms has potential. However, the rooms need to be refurbished and lightened up a bit. The bed was quite basic and uncomfortable (lumpy). Not to mention that the room smelled of smoke which only disappeared in a few days. We had our own balcony, which was very nice; however, the balcony was shaking and could potentially become a safety hazard. Breakfast is good but basic.

And here is what we really did not appreciate. We asked the concierge to help us get tickets to the Opera and when the tickets arrived, we noticed that the price indicated on the tickets was half of what we paid to the concierge. We asked the concierge about the difference and she told us that this is normal, that the Opera house puts the same price on all tickets but in fact the prices are different. Given that we were in Ukraine, we did not want to argue but did walk 200 m to the Opera house to check the price. The prices on the tickets were indeed correct, and the Opera ticket office was very shocked by what the concierge told us. We went back and asked again, at which point the concierge told us that she got tickets not at the ticket office but at a different office. In any case, she offered to return the money and we got tickets to the same performance from the Opera ticket office. We have nothing against paying a service commission but find the premium of 200% combined with what seemed like misrepresentation is not acceptable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Maidstone, UK
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I recently stayed in the Odessa Executive Suites on a flying visit to Odessa. The apartments are very conveniently located just off the main pedestrianised strip of Deribasovskaya St, which contains many shops, restaurants and bars. The rooms are located around a courtyard and are spread over 4 floors (note there is no elevator) and were remarkably quiet given the location. Reception staff spoke great English and happily arranged a taxi for my early morning airport transfer. Rooms are functional and include a kitchen area, ironing board, TV, together with clothes washing machine (typically in the bathroom). There was free wifi throughout the hotel.

I'd certainly have no hesitation in staying at these suites again - great value and location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank iancoles
Derwood, Maryland
Reviewed October 12, 2011

If you want to stay somewhere in Odessa with a great value for what you pay this is the place. It is not perfect, but it is clean and comfortable. The staff is wonderful! Irina and Julia are the most helpful and pleasant managers to deal with. Both of them speak excellent English. The perks are nice with free airport shuttle during daylight hours, a decent breakfast in the morning, reasonable mini bar prices, and a resturant that will cater to your private or public parties.

Room Tip: Check the web site for choices. The descriptions are good.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank batmanrr
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Location is unbeatable and the price is competitive. Nevertheless the rooms are below expectation. The walls are full of stains, the bed sheets are worn out with faded colors and strange smell in the bathroom. The breakfast was poor.The staff was so-so.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple