“A good place for tourists to try Ukranian food”
Review of Kumanets

Kumanets
Ranked #7 of 1,395 Restaurants in Odessa
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was recommended by the hotel. It is decorated in a traditional way with stuffed chickens, plastic flowers and plants and lots of traditional wood tools and clothes. The waiters dressed with traditional outfits. It is a fun/cheesy place. Food was ok they have a big selection of dishes, with an English menu. The crowd was a mixture of tourists and locals, mostly business lunches.I think it is an expensive place for Ukranian standards. We tried borsch, vareniky, a selection of pickles (including watermelon), salads and some pork dishes. Food was quite heavy and we were not particularly impressed. I didnt find it very tasteful but it may be a question of tastes.

There are newer reviews for Kumanets

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Visit this restaurant twice. Like this national traditional style. Ukrainian meal was tasty and...new for me. Especialy BORSCH! This soup will ask me back to Ukraine. Interior like as village and waiters in national dress! I like it.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Traditional (?) Ukrainian cuisine for reasonable prices. The food was very tasty and they had some vegetarian options. The decor was kitsch, but you can take it with humour.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

If you’re looking for a great Ukrainian themed restaurant in Odessa, go no further than Kumanets. Located in a perfect spot (just down from the main Derybasivs'ka St, and near the City Garden), this is perfect spot to settle down and relax. The design is that of a traditional and old Ukrainian farm, with fibreglass animals around, and mock hay, while the waiters and waitresses are dressed in traditional Ukrainian clothes.

Menus are available in English, and the staff spoke excellent English. Service was rather good, at no time did they push me to pick something else to go with my meal, and my waitress would let me know how much longer. Seating is available inside and outside, I sat outside as the weather was warm, but comfortable.

The meals are big, I had pork with potatoes, and it was a very filling meal. There are many options to choose from the menu, and the staff are really friendly, and would look after you quite well, doesn’t matter if it’s a large group, a few people, or by yourself (like me).

The meal all up was a decent price, not cheap, but not expensive, so it’s pretty good. When you to Kumanets, you’re going there for more than just a meal, it’s a fun experience, stepping back in time as you walk through the gates, entering a time of traditional values in Ukraine. I’ll be sure to go there again next time I’m in Odessa, and I highly recommend anyone who is going to Odessa makes sure they pay a visit to it, you won’t regret it.

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

They serve typical ukrainian food. Waiters dressed in typical national dresses, and all decoration is in that style. We eat red borsch, and it was really good. After that we had good mashrooms salad . For the main course we had veal stew with potatoes.., and it was really not sometging, not salted, and not tasty at all. Pumpkin strudel was very good.
Waiter was not much interested are we properly served or not.