“Great experience for the price!”

Posada Don Valentino
Ranked #63 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We had a mission trip with 19 people and we felt right at home at Posada Don Valentino! I have been to Guatemala 25 times but this was my first hotel experience in Antigua. The staff, particularly Mary, were very helpful. They helped us arrange tours and transportation including a shuttle to the airport for our group. They had a great spread for our breakfast that was only $5/each. The rooms were beautiful and what you would expect in Guatemala.

The location is near perfect. One block form the market. A short walk to the Central Square. There is a grocery store right next door for anything you need. We took the mini taxis anywhere we wanted for 20Qs which is like $2.50.

The only problem I had was with the shower heat. And I was told that if you don't turn the water on full blast it heats better.

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2011
7  Thank Trent_Davis

Reviewed February 26, 2011

We spent 5 nights with 3 young children. Had a room on the 3rd floor - much quieter. Delicious breakfasts enjoyed on terraces, Nice to have use of full kitchen for meals. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Internet Cafe on site for small fee. Perfect view of Volcano Pacaya. Can't beat the price.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Lilian21
Reviewed January 29, 2011

I reserved this hotel for one night through Expedia because the wonderful Hotel Aurora (where I am now) was fully booked. I was charged $75 dollars for a room that wouldn't be worth that in the USA. The room smelled of moth balls, was gloomy, towels were threadbare, no shampoo, and lots of noise from adjoining rooms. Halls were dark and it was hard to find the keyhole. The night clerk was an android. What's worse, they charge a 10% surcharge for credit cards (there was some mention of an unspecified surcharge). I understand 4% or 5% to cover costs, but 10% is usury. Avoid this hotel at all costs. It was the worst hotel I've stayed in years.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Dingy, depressing, gloomy, no hot water, had to listen to the TV shows and all the "bathroom noises" of the neighbors. Be forewarned, the photos you see on the website are not representative of all of the rooms. I was supposedly in a "suite", which was no more than a very dark, large, high-ceilinged (with one dangly lightbulb) room with no natural light. Sure, the bathroom was recently updated, but the shower had no water pressure and no hot water, just barely lukewarm. There was a window, in the "suite" but only the upper part of the window would open, therefore it provided very little in the way of fresh air. It had a transparent curtain on it. Right outside of that window was the neighbor's window, so that the neighbors could look in on one of the beds in the room. So, we had to put a blanket over that window, which was okay because there was no view except for the neighbors window, and by covering that window, we eliminated any natural light, or ventilation for the purpose of privacy.

I was told the suites in this hotel were among the best in all of the hotels managed by this owner/management company. Since I stayed in another of their properties earlier on this trip, I don't agree with that statement.

The location was convenient, but there are plenty of other conveniently located places to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2010

I would recommend the Posada without reservation. The people were super kind and helpful. The location was convenient and the accomodations clean and more than adequate for the price. I would return without hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank jerrystacy
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Great location. Very friendly staff. I had to cancel my reservation for the last night on short notice. Hotel management did not charge me after I explained that I had been invited to spend my last night in the country with a friend in Guatemala City. The staff always went out of their way to be helpful.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Jennifer028
Reviewed September 4, 2010

We stayed at this hotel in July of 2009 on a family vacation. The location was excellent (close to all the main attractions), and the hotel staff went above-and-beyond the call to help us prepare a birthday party for my sister in the hotel's patio area. The hotel itself was very well-kept, featuring lovely rooms with high ceilings ans all the basic comforts. It also had an amazing patio area. I couldn't have expected more, and I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Antigua.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family