“A lovely hotel in Antigua”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Meson de Maria
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed July 24, 2012

El Mesón de Maria is located in the centre, but it's very peaceful and cozy. The decoration and the furniture are very nice, there are little details to discover everywhere (e.g. on my key ring there is a cute little wooden statue of - probably - Maria :)). There are two patios, lots of plants and flowers, a roof terrace with nice views, lots of outdoor seating, it's a lovely place. I'm staying in room 206 which is larger than most of their rooms, with a fireplace and a little balcony over a patio and a fountain (which is unfortunately not switched on all the time... maybe some guests are disturbed by the sound at night... but when I asked the reception to switch it on, they did immediately). Wifi is good. Breakfast is a choice between pancakes and fruit, and the traditional Guatemalan breakfast of eggs, beans and cheese, both are tasty. The staff simply couldn't be more friendly. After having discovered this place, I would never stay elsewhere in Antigua.

Room Tip: Room n 206 is a great choice :).
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Hidden behind an unpresuming entrance is this lovely nicely decorated colonial style boutique hotel. It's got very friendly staff, very comfortable clean rooms, lots of plants, a comfy lounge/living room/business centre, a lovely patio, rooftop terrace with great views, free coffee and drinks at the reception area. The breakfast could have been a bit more lavish, but that is really the only point for improvement that I could think of.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I went for a weekend with my boyfriend for our one year anniversary. We were looking for a cozy and beautiful hotel. We fell in love with this hotel once we got in. After the reception you enter this amazing and beautiful decorated patio with a fountain and all the rooms around it. We stayed in the honeymoon suite in the second floor, it was a very romantic room, the bathroom was amazing because you had a jacuzzi inside and the light was really good, it had windows that let natural light in (most bathrooms in antigua hotels don´t have natural light). Everything was really clean and organized, the service was great and everyone was really kind and attentive. The location was excellent and we could walk to different restaurants or bars. The view from the terrace is amazing because you can see the volcanoes and most of antigua, you can also tan up here!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jenny H
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Excellent hotel! It really describes what Antigua is all about. The service is great, the breakfast is awesome, the rooms, the furniture and the decoration is amazing. The location is perfect. It´s in walking distance of everything you need to see in Antigua. The tables and the chairs in the indoor patio are just great if you want to relax. My family and I really enjoyed the view from the terrace. You get to see the volcanoes and the beautiful Antigua skyline. I´ll be back for sure. I really recommend this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband and I had the opportunity to use Meson de Maria for our wedding. We were able to have an exclusive buyout of the hotel with all 20 rooms for our guests traveling in from the U.S. for our wedding festivities.

The hotel is beautiful. The rooms very comfortable. The staff is always welcoming, going above and beyond to make you feel at home.

The staff was willing to accommodate any of our requests. They would bring us rum for roof top cocktails, snacks or anything else that any of our guests desired. They had a beautiful breakfast prepared for our guests every morning served in the courtyard.

We were also able to enjoy several wedding meals at The Beteta Family's restaurants Sabor del Tiempo and the famous La Fonda de Calle Real. We hosted our rehearsal dinner in La Fonda and the evening was spectacular. All of our guests enjoyed the delicious Guatemalan cuisine.

Overall, you cannot go wrong with Meson de Maria. It is a quaint, beautiful hotel located in the center of breathtaking Antigua, Guatemala.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2012

This place is a feast for the eyes. Beautifully architected and well appointed hotel. Our stay was too short, but I would happily return again. The staff are helpful, real, and friendly. They have cool softdrinks (hibiscus and lemon water) available all the time, and they offer coffee, tea and a sweet later in the day. They gave us a bagged breakfast for our super early departure, and they ushered is both in and out with smiles and love. Great experience. My only wish is that there was a fan in the room. The air didn't move despite the open windows, and like a dog, I need air blowing in my face in an enclosed place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I simply was not prepared for the absolutely exquisite service of this darling boutique hotel. The rooms are very nice; the bathrooms are just perfect; the breakfast is good; the public areas of the hotel are just lovely but it all pales in comparison of how gracious and hospitable the staff is. These people live to serve; these people should be teaching Hotels 101, 201, 301, 401 and 501, worldwide. They made superb restaurant recommendations outside of their own products; they arranged press passes for behind the lines during Holy Week; they provided prompt and swift airport service; they provided extra water and supplies for ragged photographers during one of the most photographed events in the world; they were ever-smiling; they were ever interested in the ups and downs of the day and they had an inexhaustible supply of tips and suggestions that made the week go from being bearable to being a really, really special time. And they all speak beautiful, perfect English. It's rare that I am impressed with hotel operators as I am impressed with these people. If you stay here, you simply will not be sorry at all. And it's in a marvelous location!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor; it's quieter and the view is spectacular!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business