“Great Guatemala layover tour with Rudy!”

Antigua Photo Walks
Ranked #1 of 61 Tours in Antigua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Are you visiting Guatemala and would like to learn how to elevate your photography to a higher level? We will show you the best spots to photograph Antigua Guatemala’s sites and people, and share the tips, tricks, techniques and secrets of a street photographer. We are also happy to design a private photo walk for you if you would prefer dedicated one-on-one attention and to focus on specific themes or techniques. Antigua Photo Walks are led by professional photographer, Rudy Giron, who has been capturing the spirit of Antigua Guatemala’s streets since 2006 at AntiguaDailyPhoto.com.
Reviewed December 5, 2017

My wife and I stumbled upon Rudy’s tours while searching for a layover tour from Guatemala City. Though Rudy doesn’t market his tour as a layover tour per se I emailed him for advice on a driver to turn it into one and Rudy took it from there. Simple transaction to pay and we couldn’t have been happier with the few hours we spent with Rudy. Our concerns included English skills and prepaying, but neither of these were an issue at all. In fact, his language skills were perfect because Rudy is so accustomed to moving between languages that he keeps the information concise, direct, and in terms that are easy to understand. His communication skills also helped with the architectural aspect of the tour as he told us exactly what we needed to know about Antigua without getting bogged down in details we would never remember.

My wife and I learned so much about photography in such a short time it was just amazing. Our only regrets were not spending an evening in Antigua to practice the night shots Rudy taught us and not having done this tour before we visited so many other places. We see why Rudy lives in Antigua as it has such a rich environment for photography in a compact area. Lots of color, action, shadows, and personalities and Rudy taught us how to utilize all those to make our photos tell a story not just document a memory.

We highly recommend spending a few hours with Rudy if you are interested in taking your photography to a new level. Rudy showed me how to get the most out of my point and shoot, but after seeing what my wife’s DSLR can do I’ll be upgrading soon.

2  Thank Russell K
"sharing his knowledge"
"two hours"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed December 5, 2017

This was the second time that I took a Photo Walk with Rudy. It was totally different than the first class that I took, a couple of years ago. I learned more about camera and camera settings to achieve the best photos in terms of composition, light and subjects. He also gave us a lot of information about La Antigua Guatemala; places to go, places to eat and places to take pictures. Thank you, Rudy, once again for a very enjoyable time.

1  Thank Lita B
Reviewed November 19, 2017

Rudy has lot of great tips on how to take better photos - and especially street photos! What surprised me most was in addition to the helpful photography tips, Rudy knows a ton about the history and architecture of Antigua Guatemala. I am planning to plan a private walk with him soon to continue learning about photography and about Antigua. Don't miss this great toury on your next visit to Antigua Guatemala!

Reviewed November 5, 2017

Although I brought my DSL camera, I chose to do Rudy's walk using my iPhone. The instruction on its features and how to maximize them was so valuable it was worth the cost of the tour just by itself. The two hours flew by. Rudy is playful, funny, friendly and knowledgeable and makes everyone feel welcome and included. Some of the tips he shared about photography, in general, were so simple that we all kind of slapped our foreheads when he suggested them. They were suggestions that will improve anyone's photos immediately...really! The iPhone specific tips made me want to set aside my DSL for a while and just master my skills with the iPhone. The places we visited offered ample opportunities to capture some really lovely shots. Rudy is also a fountain of info about Antigua and readily shares his knowledge. I would do this tour again in a heartbeat if I am lucky enough to return to Antigua, I can't recommend Rudy strongly enough for the walking tour or private instruction. Thanks, Rudy!!!

1  Thank janetjaffe
See more reviews
Reviewed November 4, 2017 via mobile

I chose to do the all saints day/day of the dead photo walking tour. The idea was to learn photo tips but to be honest I was a bit of a naughty student kid in candy shop! Overwhelmed with what I was experiencing, learning and enjoying the company of the group.

We headed up to Santiago Sacatepéquez to see the kite flying.
Thereupon I met the president Jimmy Morales! Saw all the locals celebrate - street food, all the family, celebrating the lives of their passed Loved ones.
Rudy was great as a guide to what we were experiencing but also how to get the best shots and capture the moments. Good balance allowing us to find our way and then also pointing out tips to improve.

We then had Fiambre - delicious - a once a year celebration meal. We watched a religious procession through the streets, then to Antigua cemetery - such diversity from the morning. Nuns singing. Tombs and graves emblazoned with flowers.

With such a lot to see, Rudy helps you get to the right position, and access to areas you might otherwise miss out on. We then watched locals carpet the street in their artwork of flowers.

Rudy was also great in creating great group dynamics to make the day even more enjoyable for all of us.

He can’t promise everyone will meet the president though!!

1  Thank LittleSwissLou