“Good Place for the money”

Hotel La Sin Ventura
Ranked #39 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Ottawa, Canada
“Good Place for the money”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

At $18 US the price was right for this place. The rooms are tiny but clean and have a private bathroom. The shower was strong and hot and clean. Bring ear plugs as the noise will drive you crazy especially on the weekends when the bars are in full swing. The location is excellent and the staff is great. The wifi works very well. There is no TV.
You will pay about triple the price for a more comfortable room but for me it was not worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank John J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Kirksville, Missouri
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed here for eight nights this summer. I had originally looked at four other hotels and hostels, and came back to La Sin Ventura. I booked two nights, thinking I might find another place cheaper, but every couple days I paid for more nights until my whole stay was here. It was super convenient to be just off Parque Central, so anytime I got a bit lost, I could ask how to get back, and everyone knows how to get to Parque Central. The room was quite small, but I only needed a place to sleep and shower, so that was fine. I paid USD18 per night. Yes, the nightclub downstairs was lively, but as a woman traveling alone, it was far less creepy to have a bit of a soundtrack in the background than dead silence. The WiFi was a bit unpredictable, sometimes limited to reception and sometimes available in my room. Rooftop access was locked :( though I'm told it's an amazing view.

Room Tip: If noise will bother you, get a room farther from the nightclub.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LynnC485
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I live in Canada with our 5 and 4 year olds. We go to Guatemala at least once every two years and we just love it there. All of my husband's family is Canadian so when they hear how much fun we always have in Guatemala they always want to come with us. Now my husband and I are adventurers at heart! We do not care about comfort or anything at all, not even when we bring our children. We want them to be OK being uncomfortable as long as they are safe travelling and learning about different cultures. I always get nervous about my husband's family though, especially when I reserved these hotel rooms for a really cheap price. I was really happy to see what the hotel looked like, the rooms were super clean, great location, great view. Simple yet perfect for what the purpose was. I totally recommend this hotel. Staff was super nice too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed there two nights at the end of May 2013. If you are a traveling couple, I would advice to stay in the rooms with two double beds. The cost is the same as for a room with only one king/queen size bed. The major difference is that the rooms with one bed are on the "first" floor, which for Americans that means the second floor, and at night the music coming from two different bars might be too much. Another problem I found was the shower head was too high and the shower curtain too low. This led to water spilling all over the bathroom once done showering. I will also recommend not booking any of your tours or shuttles through the hotel. You're better off going to any of the many travel agencies and make sure you negotiate the price. The hotel's location is perfect. It's half a block away from the central park which makes it close to everything else. Also, there is someone on the front desk all 24 hours a day in case you need anything. My favorite perk of the hotel was the terrace they have. Maybe buy yourself some beer/wine and take it up there while you enjoy a 360 view of the entire town. In the end the hotel is not horrible but there is definitely some room for improvements.

Room Tip: Choose the highest floor possible. The music/noise coming from the two night clubs might not let you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aaron S
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on the tail end of a Gecko tour – therefore not sure of the price factor. Fantastic location and set in a gorgeous old building. The rooms were basic but nice, not huge but still full functional and with ensuites. Given the setup of the hotel (long corridors with tiles) it was sometimes noisy, particularly at night as there is a bar downstairs and next door.

Staff were friendly and helpful, rooms were kept clean and the bar downstairs was great.

Overall the location is the best feature of the hotel, just a stone’s throw from the markets, square and main strip. Would probably stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have been very happy of my stay in this hotel not only for the best location in town and the unbeatable price also for the room style which was small but had everything I needed. The stuff is super nice and helpful. On top of all this the building with a very beautiful colonial architecture there is a terrance from where you can see all Antigua!

Room Tip: Tip get a room in the back so you won't ear the noise from the disco downstairs.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank roatanbandb
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Located in the heart of Antigua, Sin La Ventura is an affordable, clean and safe hotel with a very friendly front desk staff.

However, the rooms located along an open corridor do not offer much insulation from outside noise.

There is nightclub downstairs nightclub that on some days can go into the early morning hours. If you plan on being out during the late evening then this is a manageable situation.

I really enjoyed the location of Sin La Ventura and taking in almost decent views of the city from its balcony area.

A few members of the front desk staff speak English well enough to provide good local information and were helpful in planning trips around the city.

My room although basic was comfortable and the free Wi-Fi worked pretty well. I would definitely stay here again even if I have to fall asleep to the sounds of Antigua nightlife.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo