“the noisest place to owernight”

Hotel La Sin Ventura
Ranked #39 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed February 7, 2012

we stayed only one night in this hotel. its disco and cinema next wall. so, till 3am your bed like inside disco and in movie. no possibility to sleep. window in room enter to long public terrace.

Room Tip: casa florencia. 10 min from center. view on agua volcano, quiet, clean. perfect place!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank anikey

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I would have to agree with some of the cons; a little noisy at night, no window to the outside, small rooms, but none of that is uncommon, esp. in this price range. We left the wife'scell phone and charger iin the room when we left for Panajachel. We emailed the hotel desk and the manager said they would hold it for us,as we were coming back to Antigua before we flew out of Guatemala. So we spent another night at the hotel, received our 3AM wake up call. It is a well run and clean hotel with an excellent location and staff.And the roof top sitting area has a great 360 degree view if the city and surrounding volcanos.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cesped
Reviewed March 17, 2011

La Sin Ventura is 75 yards from the central plaza of Antigua. Rooms are simple, neat, clean and offer hot showers. There is an attached cinema and cafe. On the ground floor is a disco. The disco is quiet after 10 PM. In the morning, the disco staff serve a continental breakfast. I have found the reception staff to be very accommodating. They provide shuttle service to and from Aurora, the international airport. Everything I need is a short walk from La Sin Ventura, and I have stayed there every year for the last five years.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank dadzone
Reviewed March 31, 2010

There is one disco downstairs in the front and one next store. both are open and playing very loud music until 3am. we were not told about the disco when we checked in. Only when we arrived after dinner at 10pm, we heard the thumping music. it reverberates throughout the whole building. If you like to party all night it would be a great place to land and crash after drinking too much and dancing your tail off. I had a 14 year old daughter. so when in Rome, do as the romans do, dance all night long. otherwise hotel was clean, rooms nice, tile in hallway pretty. wireless in the lobby. polite staff.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank clifscca
Reviewed September 7, 2009

When you are young and you are there to party and don't have to sleep, it's fine. It's in a fantastic location. Next to Mono Loco. The bar downstairs is fun, loud, and with stiff drinks. There are bathrooms with the room.

The cons: loud, no a/c and there are windows that open into the hallway let in all the noise. And it is VERY noisy here because of the location between 2 very loud bars. A few of us got a rash from the sheets (maybe bedbugs?). The showers are kind of dirty. I would still recommend it for young travelers, but not if you want to sleep at night.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank 555Travelbug555
Reviewed May 16, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a few nights and were delighted by the wonderful customer service! The front desk and cleaning staff were both accomdating and friendly. The rooms were nice and clean, and the location excellent. It did get loud on the first floor when the club downstairs was having a big night, but I imagine the noise doesn't carry through to the upper floors.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank SarahinSantaMonica
Reviewed December 8, 2008

This place gets my own rating of 1 or 2 on Friday and Saturday and a 4 any other day. The price goes up on the weekend too; if anything it should be half price. I stayed at this hotel on 3 visits to Antigua and the last visit (on a Friday and Saturday) I finally convinced myself not to return if I am visiting on the weekend. Ear plugs and Ambien will barely overcome the noise of the disco.

Other than that, the descriptions outlined here are correct. The location could not be any better. It is a clean place, there is about 1” of space between your knees and the wall when sitting on the toilet, the shower is nice, forceful and hot and the single beds are for the most part comfortable. The sole louvered windows into the hall seem to provide adequate ventilation but one often wonders if fellow tourists with their clickity clack rolling suitcases and yells down the hall at late hours to get the attention of family members entering or exiting the hotel are worse than the traffic noise when windows face the street. (At least street noise dies down late at night, while most tourists believe if they awaken at 5AM, you should too).

The rates run about $20 US P/P. There appears to be ample parking, and just 2 doors down from the hotel entrance in the strangest location I have ever parked, an old movie theater with the seats removed. It’s almost worth a stay in the hotel for the fun of parking in the indoor theater. Of course you stand to lose a little paint or a mirror if you are not skilled with driving through such a narrow opening, but if you have been driving in Guatemala a few weeks dodging people, dogs, carts, cars and busses, then driving in off the sidewalke into an indoor theater should be a breeze. Note the guy running the booth just outside the hotel that sells mixed drinks, soft drinks, juices, beer, gourmet cappuccino and your free breakfast has a key to the parking garage and can let you in any time to remove or replace any items in you auto.

In my initial day’s search on my first visit to Antigua, I found plenty of on-the-grounds hotel parking if you pay a high price for the hotel. According to the tourist office there are only 3 budget hotels that they were aware of with parking. There are of course a few city lots but I always try to find a hotel where I can at least walk to the car at night if I discover I need something I left there, and one typically doesn’t bring everything into the hotel each night.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Don_A_TX