“Funky, clean room with a great roof terrace and owner”

Posada San Sebastian
Ranked #13 of 130 Antigua B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Funky, clean room with a great roof terrace and owner”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in March 2012 and really enjoyed it. The owner is an antique collector, so the hotel (and rooms) have an eclectic feel. He greets everyone from morning through evening and keeps the place very social. You feel more like family than a guest.

The rooms were neurotically clean - mopped every day, linens and towels changed daily, etc. The location is fantastic, close to everything but still on a quiet street; we felt safe the entire time we were there. An added bonus is the great terrace, which has a 365 degree view of the city.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are definitely nicer - they get better light and breezes.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yurgosky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I was in Guatemala to play for their wonderful International Jazz Festival, but was staying in Guatemala City. I really love Antigua, so on my day off I decided to do some shopping there, and happened to grab a room here overnight. The hotel/posada is as much a museum as it is a hotel. Luis, the owner is the absolute warmest, most welcoming person in the country, and he's collected all manner of antique Guatemalan wares, textiles, masks, chairs, instruments, and wonderful stuff. The posada is an old house, and is quaint and charming. The rooms are all different, and the hot water works! GREAT!

Room Tip: Just ask Luis!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bette1stl
London, England
Reviewed November 7, 2011

A very good location, but quite basic and the room I was in was very dark with little natural day light. A bit odd that you can't come and go as you want - every time you want to get in you have to ring the bell and be let in by the owner - it feels more like you are a guest in his house. No breakfast facilities, but plenty of places nearby. It is very cold in the rooms - so make sure you ask for an extra blanket!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank louiseroach
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 15, 2011

When I checked in to Posada San Sebastian, Luiz, the proprieter, told me, "welcome home." And for the brief 2 days I was in Antigua, that's what it felt like. All the employees were friendly but unobtrusive, the location was perfect (just a block or so from the main plaza) and the motel has tons of character, with cool antiques everywhere!
Then, when I left my ipod on a shuttle to the airport, Luiz did his best to track it down, communicating with me by both phone and email.
Antigua - and the rest of Guatemala - is a beautiful, charming, amazing place. I wholehartedly recommend the Posada San Sebastian.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank ChristopherInVA
kirkwood, mo
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I was with 9 other women weavers on a textile tour of Guatemala. We used Antigua as our home at the beginning and end of the trip. I had stayed in Antigua 3 times before on my own, but had never visited this Posada chosen by our leader year after year. It was truly the best located for the price. Each room is different and ample in size and decorated in the most creative way. In fact the whole place combines the most creative antiques in a unique juxtaposition that really works to please the eye and give a sense of the exotic. My roommate knew the maid from previous stays and we really appreciated her good care of us. Everything was clean and tidy. We had to get creative in order for me to charge my ipad and for her to charge her phone at the same time. Most of the outlets were hidden behind heavy furniture. We were only a block from the Parque Central, but it was perfectly quiet. The rates as posted on the door were so reasonable that I thought it might be an antique with out of date rates, but , no. I liked the quick walk to several wonderful restaurants, the Sunday Textile Market, the park, The owner and his wife were present when we needed them, but not intrusive, just gracious. From the moment you enter and see the blue wall with all the wooden chairs hanging on the wall, you know you are in a special place. The street door is closed, so you have to ring to enter, a nice touch of security. No elevator, but helpful staff is ready if your room is upstairs. We had access to the kitchen for any food we wanted to store or prepare, something I didn't know till our last day there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Margaret M
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Our room was spacious, comfortable and clean. You can't beat the view from the accessible rooftop. This hotel is conveniently located a block or two from the gorgeous Central Park. The place is filled with Guatemalan crafts and has lots of character.

Staff helped us confirm flights and arrange travel back to the airport.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank earljones
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed November 30, 2010

This is not just a hotel. It is a home away from home. The owner, Luiz, is very welcoming. The staff made you feel like family. We were fortunate to be able to stay here 5 nights. We had two rooms, one on the first floor, one on e the second. We had no problems with either one. I don't think I ever saw an insect once our whole visit! We were given full use of the kitchen, and used it to cook a few meals. If you want a true Guatemalan experience, stay here! You will love the way it is decorated with many antiques. Luiz has a story for every piece! He helped us getting around & made helpful suggestions of what to see. There is a little restaurant at the corner across the street that has an awesome traditional Guatemalan breakfast. Only a few steps from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family