“Best free breakfast ever & cute staff!!!”
Review of The Yellow House

The Yellow House
Ranked #11 of 111 Specialty Lodging in Antigua
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Amazing hostel! Literally the best free breakfast I've ever had! Beans, tomatoes, fried potatoes & onions, eggs made to order, toast, fruit, coffee!

The accommodations were super clean. The patio on the roof had a great view and was full of plants and flowers and hammocks.

Also their travel agency was so convenient. Amazing deals and the guy who runs the desk is super cute.

Couldn't recommend this hostel more!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Yellow House

Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at both the single and one of the double rooms on the second floor during my Guatemala trip. The beds were comfortable, linens were surprisingly nice, and rooms were decorated nicely with tapestries. I think the second floor rooms get better light.

The shared bathrooms seemed like they were being cleaned hourly. Squeaky clean. Loved that they have hot showers without the typical Guatemalan electric shower heater attachments / electrocution roulettes.
Breakfast starts at seven and is this wonderful spread of delicious delicious food: pancakes, eggs cooked how you like them on the spot,6 types of fruit, homemade jam, bread, grilled tomatoes, potatoes and herbs, tortillas and beans and coffee(!). The one downside is that the Guatemalan ladies don't start cooking breakfast until 6:30 and I've missed it when I had to catch an early shuttle.

Yellow house is also a travel agency. I've found it really convenient to book shuttles with them. The front desk staff Sofi and Brett were really friendly and were able to help me sort out travel details and gave good recs for food.

The open air lounge was great for meeting other travelers. Comfy, though the hammocks do need an update. People tend to congregate there for breakfast and in afternoon and early evenings. Also great for reading.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Yellow house was great. Clean rooms, clean bathrooms, helpful and friendly staff. The free breakfast was amazing. The rooftop terrace was the perfect place to relax. We had a really good time and met some good people.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed at the Yellow House for 3 nights at the beginning of my trip and 2 nights at the end.
I cannot recommend a better place to stay, this place has it all,

- 24 Hour manned front desk, The Staff are incredibly knowledgeable, reliable and helpful.
You have to day staff and the night staff, The Welsh guy on the day shift also speaks Spanish, which definitely came in handy for me.
The staff all operate in a very professional but friendly manner, always willing to go above and beyond to maximize your experience.
- Cable TV and Wifi, The Cable TV was definitely an added bonus, The Wifi was reliable and always available. There are computers for use for those travelling without Wifi Connecting Devices,
- Centrally Located which makes exploring day and night readily accessible,
- Hostel Cleanliness, I have stayed at my fair share of hostels over the years, and The cleanliness of this hostel is something they should definitely pride themselves on,
Round the Clock Bathroom cleaning in a facility with shared bathrooms is something I have never encountered, It made me feel like I was in my very own private Hotel en-suite.
The cleanliness of the shared bathrooms extends throughout the hostel to the common areas and each room.
- The Roof Terrace with seating and Hammocks makes the Volcano view a spectacular spot to sit and enjoy early mornings or afternoons. It truly is a fantastic relaxation spot!
- The Buffet Breakfast, The love I have for the women serving this breakfast will last a life time, They are the most kind hearted woman and the Buffet food is impeccable. And its included, This is by far the best hostel breakfast I have ever had!

Overall I think the Yellow House is absolute Value for Money, I will be recommending this Hostel to everyone travelling, and I know I myself will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We found this Hotel/Hostel on The Globe Trotting Girls website. Before we arrived I had sent numerous emails which were promptly responded to. Our room was quaint and very clean. Beds comfortable. We had a private room with 2 double beds for 2 adults and 2 young adults. We had shared bathrooms and showers and I think that after each use some phantom person cleaned the room and hung a fresh towel. The breakfast looked (and smelled) like it was going to be amazing. Since our shuttle was departing at 7:00 a.m. we only had time for a plate of pancakes which were quickly made to accommodate us. Everyone was very friendly. I'd highly recommend the Yellow Hotel. It was good quality at a bargain price.

Room Tip: rooms upstairs would be quieter than down
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed 5 nights here and chose it based on the reviews in TA and the good experience of our friends. The responses via email were prompt and helpful. We used their pick up service from the airport and it was excellent, the car was comfortable and we soon realised the charming driver was in fact the owner of the hostel.
As others have said the highlights of the hostel are the breakfast and the overall cleanliness. The lovely ladies who look after both work incredibly hard yet constantly are charming and friendly.
The front desk is manned 24 hours, during the day there was a rotation of 2 locals and a welsh guy, while at night there was a terrific guy who was happy to help. My only criticism here would be that the day staff were not overly helpful with general advice, they only seemed to be able to offer advice on services they sold.
The hostel has 2 computers for use along with reliable wi-fi, it also has a small kitchen with most of the necessary utensils. There is a nice relaxing area upstairs, a little small but with great views of the volcanos. It is close to the rooms but rarely was anyone up late and being noisy.
We stayed in 2 rooms, we had to move as unfortunately my wife woke up with a lot of bites. We never saw the culprits but the hostel was professional in their response. They moved us to a new room, they immediately had the room sprayed and they allowed us to wash and dry our clothes and provided some remuneration; they were very professional. The only slight negative was the suggestion we may have brought some bugs (not possible as it was our first stop) and later a slight passive aggressive approach suggesting we were warning other guests (we were not). We understand that these things happen when traveling and it is the response of the hotel that matters and in that sense I thought they were very professional.
The rooms were of a small to average size, they were very nicely decorated, the beds were hard but comfortable although the pillows weren't. They come with cable tv which is a nice touch, although it didnt work in our first room.
There are only shared bathrooms but as all other reviews have pointed out they are spotless and seem to be cleaned after almost every use! The water in the shower was hot.
I think overall the hostel is a good choice, it is clearly very popular and seemed to be fully booked while we were there. It is not cheap or expensive, probably fair for a popular place like Antigua. The owners clearly value people having a good stay. We had some problems but appreciated their professional attitude, amazing breakfast and overall cleanliness; rooms, fact there is only shared bathrooms and small common areas on the average side.
Thanks again to the lovely night man and the wonderful women on breakfast.

Room Tip: i think our second room was 9 - it was upstairs towards the back- it was better than the first (thin...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I had a great experience staying at The Yellow House in Antigua. My friend and I booked the double private room with a shared bathroom and we couldn't have been happier with the room. The beds were clean and comfortable and the ventilation was pretty good, considering how hot it was during the time we went. The travel agent we worked with was probably what made our time in Antigua so great. In the interest of time, we didn't mind paying a bit more for the packages that they offered. We did the Volcan de Pacaya hike and the 1-day tour of Tikal which were both spectacular. It probably would have been cheaper to do it on our own, but we got the full package -- i.e. guided tour / history, transportation, and some meals included. The hostel itself was well-kept. I particularly enjoyed the hot breakfast buffet -- the ladies serving this every morning were just the sweetest! We ate our breakfast on the upstairs terrace which had plenty of tables & seats and hammocks.

Would definitely stay here again upon my next return to Antigua. Highly recommended! The location of the hostel was also very central in the city so it made exploring during the day very easy.

Room Tip: - no towels, bring your own - bring a lock if you want to lock up your personal belongings
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
AntiguaYH, Guest Relations Manager at The Yellow House, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Hi, that is excellent news that you thought so highly of our hostel and that you and your friend enjoyed your stay. We appreciated that you particularly enjoyed the trips we booked for you as we like to use very reliable providers, great tour guides and quality established accommodation. We believe that this adds that special something to the normal packages. Thank you again for your comments and like all our guests you are always welcome to come back anytime.

Kind Regards