“You Definitely Get What You Pay For :(”
Review of Hotel Burkhard

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Hotel Burkhard
Ranked #22 of 130 Antigua B&B and Inns
Solola Department, Guatemala
“You Definitely Get What You Pay For :(”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed in this hotel during a night out with friends in Antigua. It'd been recommended by others who said it was nice, clean, and a walkable distance from the main plaza.The affordable rates, laundry service, and friendly owners were also major selling points, but when I walked inside, I immediately knew I'd gotten exactly what I'd paid for: bugs, mold, and an uncomfortable night of no sleep.

I wanted to like this place so badly because it is very inexpensive and the friends of friends swore by it, but as we were getting ready, there were roaches actually crawling up from the drains and out of the sink. My friends are much less squeamish than I, so even though I wanted to pack up and leave immediately, we ended up staying the night.

Unfortunately, during the night I noticed a bug (I believe to be a roach) actually crawling across my friend's bed-sheet. I killed it. Needless to say, I got no rest.

If price is your main point, then you'll definitely save a few bucks. However, if you're willing and able to spend a little more for cleanliness, comfort and piece of mind, I would highly suggest doing so! I have never returned to this hotel, though my friends continue to stay here whenever they are in Antigua.

Room Tip: I've heard the top floor rooms are much better and smell less of mold.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Hugo & Jenny, the couple who run this little hotel are lovely, helpful people. Laundry is available. For 150 Quetzales, a king-size bed with a private hot water bath & cable-- you can't go wrong. We stayed last year in September and woudln't stay anywhere else if we went back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lexi_and_Abbey
Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Posada Hotel Burkhard for 2 days at the end of May and liked it. Very good location, very good value and the owners helped us a lot with everything! The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lucie S
San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The staff, value and location of the Burkhard are unbeatable, but the downstairs rooms are dark and claustrophobic. They have access to laundry and are walking distance to all major attractions in Antigua, but the rooms could use some updating.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs if you want more light and more space.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 17, 2013

A friend of our recommended this hotel to us and we're so glad he did. This charming little hotel is in a central location and I doubt you can find better value at 110 GTQ a night. We booked in for 4 days and ended up spending 15 days! The room was very comfortable with excellent internet, cable TV, hot showers and free drinking water. Our room was cleaned ever day and we received fresh towels on request. The owners and staff are extremely hospitable, friendly and helpful. While we were there, they opened a little restaurant on the premises. We had the best steak in all of Central America there at a reasonable price. Couldn't recommend this hotel more highly and will definitely stay there again if we return to Antigua.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor are the best - more light and less traffic in the hallways. They have...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
honduras
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Much cheaper than other places around but it didn't feel like a budget hotel. Rooms are very well decorated and maintained and the bathroom was clean. It is a small place with maybe about 8 or 10 rooms. We just stayed one night but if I return to Antigua, I will definitely stay here. It is about 3 blocks away from the main restaurant and bar street so it is quiet but convenient for tourists. You can use the kitchen and their is a laundry machine on site. Very safe and the man at the desk was very helpful.

Room Tip: Try and get a room upstairs so you get a little better view of Antigua and the surrounding volcanoes...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is where I always stay in Antigua. The value is amazing and I always recommend it to friends and other travellers. Small kitchen, wifi, coin laundry, free water, cable tv, hot water. All for Q110? Seriously great deal. The rooms are either with 2 twin beds or 1 queen. Smallish rooms so if you have a lot of luggage it might be a tight squeeze but seriously a great place. Hugo the owner is a great guy and very helpful!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms upstairs! More light and airy.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple