“Beautiful hotel, problems with tranports”

Palacio de Dona Leonor
Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Boston, MA
“Beautiful hotel, problems with tranports”
Reviewed December 7, 2010

This a a beautiful hotel - rooms and public areas - and the included breakfast in the courtyard was lovely. But, and this is a big but, we arranged transport from and to the airport which did not arrive! We had never been to Guatemala before so arriving late at night at the airport and not being met was disconcerting. Leaving, we had a flight to catch. In both instances, we had to get a taxi because the private car service for which we arranged through the hotel simply did not arrive (on our arrival) or did not arrive on time (on our departure). It is unfortunate that this became our first and last impression of an otherwise lovely stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shildon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed October 13, 2010

This was our first trip to Antigua and we wanted something a little nicer than our usual digs. To say we were impressed would be an understatement! The hotel was just what we were looking for and more.

Location was fantastic, our room was straightened/cleaned twice daily, great staff and everything was spotless. You can tell they work hard to put out a great product and it shows. We didn't try the restaurant (should have) but did hang out in the bar a bit and loved it.

My only complaint would be the that the WIFI wasn't free ($10 USD for the week). However our room had issues with the signal strength and it was quickly refunded so it did end up being free in the end. Again, fantastic customer service!

We basically used Antigua as a base camp of sorts and did day trips each day (kayaking, hiking, cycling, etc.) and I couldn't have thought of a better hotel to come back to after a long day of exploring. If you are looking for some affordable luxury - it is highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nlasure
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 10, 2010

A great hotel in a beautiful location. I did some research and also asked freimds who had been before decidimg on the hotel. Nobody had said this one to me, however had recommended Casa Santo Domingo, but just the thought of staying in a 150 odd room hotel and being a room number did not excite me. Therefore >I decided to contact these guys and got a great rate and stayed in the Don Pedro Suite, which has a great view of the Volcano!!!

The staff are great, location is the best, close to everything. I eally liked the orchids and Christopher the manager was a super star rearranging everything for us.

I would highly suggest asking him to have Rolando do a private Pacaya Volcano tour, thios guy knows his stuff.

I have nothing bad to say apart from this hotel, except I would have rather have spent more time here!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bexin
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I come to Guatemala at least 1 time a year because I have friends at Guatemala City. But I actually enjoy staying at Antigua Guatemala since it is a lovely place and I don't mind the 45 minutes to get there.
I have stayed at other hotels here in Antigua, but after trying Hotel Palacio Doña Leonor I swear I will never stay at another place.
It is a charming hotel! I loved the location! It is near the center of Antigua and it is near every place! The hotel is historical, elegant, luxurios and really clean!
The service is more than I expected.
I will come here every time I visit Guatemala.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Stayed here for several nights on a trip en route to meet my son's birth mother. Can't give it a high enough rating. Accomodations were luxurious. Bathrooms were modern. Only complaint regarding the room is that there was no clock. I used the alarm on my phone. Staff sets a new standard for customer service. Not all staff speak English (didn't expect them to) just something to note. Each person we interacted with at the front desk spoke fluent English and were available if we needed to interpret with any other staff member. Perfect location..one block to town square.

The restaurant at the hotel was an unexpected treasure. The chef himself came out to ask a question about my meal preparation preference. The food was "the best meal I ever ate." Really, it was that good. The tomato and blue cheese soup, as well as the shrimp risotto were off the chart spectacular.

Back to the staff customer service. I was dining in the restaurant when my 5 yr old son began vomiting... everywhere. The staff responded quickly and graciously. As I am apologizing profusely they repeated "It's no problem. We are here to serve and assist you." They offered to call a doctor and repeatedly asked about him that evening and the next day. I think the true test of customer service is how staff reacts under difficult situations. They not only rose to the occasion, but did it with unsurpassed grace and patience. I should not that my son did not become ill from the food. He has an underlying medical condition.

This was easily one of the finest hotel experiences we have had.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank msgcnp
Atlanta,GA
Reviewed July 16, 2010

During our recent stay at Palacio de Dona Leonor we were charmed by the interior courtyard of the hotel and comfortable rooms.
We stayed in Dona Lucia’s bedchamber which had the large balcony facing the volcano and you could see a slice of central park as well.
Once you closed the glass doors to the balcony all the street noise was shielded and when you shut the wooden doors you could hardly tell there was
a city beckoning beyond your balcony!

The room:
The beds were incredibly comfortable and the four pillows on each bed were enough to keep anyone happy.
The bedroom and bathroom were incredibly clean. Although I despise half glass doors on tubs or showers!
In regards to ventilation in the room - the only ventilation in this room was the balcony doors
(not recommended to leave open at night for security reasons and noise) and the main entrance door into your room from the interior courtyard
(which obviously you would not leave open at night either). I would highly recommend requesting a fan for your room to circulate air at night. I would make this
request upon making your reservation.

Facilities:
We enjoyed sitting in the upstairs balcony tremendously. There were candles everywhere and one night I asked the front desk if I could borrow matches and light some of the candles outside our room. You would have thought that someone from the staff would have come up to light the candles but instead they gave me the matches so I could help myself. Odd, but ok. Then you would have thought the staff would have asked if we wanted to eat or drink anything while we were sitting in this area – nope. I had to go back downstairs and request a drink menu and ask if it would be ok for them to bring it up to us…hospitality details were a little lacking although folks were very pleasant. I highly recommend taking advantage of all the nooks and crannies of the property. Especially the Jacuzzi area – which is very nice and private. Regardless of time of year bring your bathing suit for the Jacuzzi.

Food at the hotel:
We only ate the complimentary breakfast each morning and had drinks at the bar. We did not eat at the restaurant.
The complimentary breakfast included three different fruits, a croissant, jam, honey, butter, coffee and juice. While each of the waiters told us each morning that
the menu items were also included in the complimentary breakfast we found out when we checkout that this was not the case. Another note was that the waiters
were hesitant to give you the yellow copy of your receipts - make sure you take these with you. I got charged for a couple drinks that I know we did not have but didn’t have proof.
I didn’t fight it at checkout because to me it wasn’t worth it. Make sure to check your receipts to see if gratuity was included or not – in some it was and in others it was not.
We asked to have breakfast in a couple of different places on the property and were nicely accommodated each time. While the service staff was again very nice and pleasant
it seemed to me that they failed to anticipate guests needs (see facility references above). For example, for this type quality hotel I would expect that the complimentary drinks upon arrival (which were promised upon arrival via email) would have been immediately offered once we checked in. Also, they had a hard rule that check in was at 3:00PM. We arrived around 1:30 or so and there was NO ONE else as far as we can see (if there are no guests in a room the doors remain open) staying at the hotel and yet they didn’t give us our room until 3:00. Just little details like that. Otherwise, again very pleasant staff. They just maybe need a little more training to feel comfortable approaching guests.

Location:
Excellent! right in the heart of things and easy to get everywhere. Although, our balcony faced the AA group meeting gathering place

Phone calls & wireless:
Don’t do them at the hotel. There is a little spot right off the central park near the book store where you can make calls for 1Q per minute vs. the ridiculous amount the hotel charges.
Didn’t find this out until the semi last night, but you actually get great wireless for just $10 during your stay. I thought that was fair.

Health:
We unfortunately got sick during our stay. We got sick in the middle of the night and when I went downstairs to see if I could get some bottled water
I was only greeted by the security guard which did not have access to the kitchen fridge which is where the bottles of water were held (it was locked). He did not have any
suggestions for a pharmacy or anything that may be open – granted it was 5:30AM. I realize this was not his job – but from what the front desk told me later that morning (7:30AM)
was that people get sick all the time during their visit. Hence, they should have a plan for these types of situations! Fortunately, we have friends that live in Antigua and they picked up some
medicine at the pharmacy as soon as it opened and we had also brought Pepto Bismal and Imodium with us. This is highly recommended for a trip to Guatemala overall. Especially if you plan to venture beyond Antigua.

Overall, would I stay here during my next visit? Probably not. There are so many good options in Antigua and most of them cost half of what el Palacio cost but I am pleased to have stayed in such a beautiful hotel for my first visit. I just wish the hospitality could have been a little better.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gisymar
South Dakota
Reviewed July 16, 2010

This historic palace is beyond expectations. The manager, Hector, and his staff go above and beyond to make everything pleasant. The rooms are perfect and everything is so beautiful. It's located just off the main parque plaza next to the cathedral. Definitely a must stay kind of place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple