“Professional guides and amazing views - acatenango trail”

Old Town Outfitters - Day Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Mission To provide unique adventure travel experiences that take you “out there,” off the “beaten track” to extraordinary destinations through safe, high-quality trips. Vision Old Town Outfitters strives to be considered the leader in Guatemalan Adventure tourism by creating unique, authentic, safe and professional adventure travel experiences, while at the same time adhering to our philosophies and values. Philosophies As a responsible company and community member, we promote “leave no trace” ethics. We forever strive to maintain our mission and vision while working to preserve the local environments and communities in which we travel. We realize that the local communities are the key to the preservation of Guatemala’s natural resources. Core Values Values define who we are as a person and as a corporate entity; they create our principles or our own rules for how we live our lives. Thus, values are the foundations for everything that happens in the work place. A shared set of values help in the decision making process. OTO’s shared values are: Respect, Punctuality, Infectious Enthusiasm, Environmental Consciousness, Sustainability, Responsibility, Awesome Customer Service, Team work, Trust, Initiative
Useful Information: Activities for older children
TLV
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Professional guides and amazing views - acatenango trail”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We did the trail to Acatenango - a bit rough but worth every dollar and the trouble of going up.
Take more than 4 l. Per person
Try to make a grouof more than 3 ppl, way way cheaper... (245$->110$)
Takes around 6 hours going up

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Terrific and professional!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have referred clients to Old Town Outfitters for both hiking and biking and everyone is always pleased with the experience. The guides are knowledgeable and engaging. I highly recommend them!

Visited May 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Whirlwind Tour of the Villages Around Antigua”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stopped in at Oldtown Outfitters during the busy Easter week. We asked if we could do the bike tour through the villages outside of Antigua that same afternoon. The front desk staff immediately called to see if they could arrange a guide. They confimed our tour and told us to return that afternoon.
When we returned for our tour my friend and I were joined on the tour by a young couple from Spain and our guide Eric. I figured this would be a lazy roll through the country side. Wow was I wrong! Our guide asked how hard we wanted to work and we told him we needed some exercise after many sedentary days. Our bikes were good quality and in great shape. We flew through many villages stopping to see the main squares and some churches. We also stopped at a nice craft market at Agua Calientes and I wished that I had brought extra money with me as there were some nice things to buy and the prices were better than in Antigua.
We continued our frantic pace because we stayed right behind our guide all the time. We were chased by dogs a couple of times but they only barked. On a small more rural road some small kids threw bottles at us. We visited the Macadamia Farm and it was interesting. I had enough money with me to buy some macadamia oil face cream here.
There was one killer hill on the trip and I made myself ride up the whole hill as my friend and the guide were just in front of me and they were obviously not going to walk any part of it.
We both enjoyed our bike tour and we were glad that the guide realized that we wanted to get some exercise while we explored the area.
If you don't normally get a lot of exercise at home you should probably mention this when you book a tour and I am sure they would make adjustments in the tempo for you.

Visited March 2013
Austin, Texas
“Volcano Ride”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was thoroughly impressed with Old Town Outfitters and their crew. If you are a mountain biker visiting Antigua going out on the trails is a must. I came completely unprepared but they were able to set me up with a well serviced bike, safety gear, and even lent me some clipless shoes and pedals. My guide, Oseas was awesome at making the ride fun while also telling me about the areas we were riding through.

Visited April 2013
California
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Do the Macadamia Nut Farm tour.”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Wanted to find something unique and active to do while we were in Antigua for a couple of days. Tripadvisor friends recommended this company so off we went to book a tour.

They offer several tours, we chose the Valleys tour that included us visiting small villages and a Macadamia Nut Farm. The owners of the nut farm are interesting, the man is a nut himself, and his wife is lovely. Purchased some of their natural cosmetic items!

We had a personal tour guide just for the two of us and visited a lot of great villages where there is literally zero tourists in site. We visited schools, church sites, road up hills, through farm land, the whole shebang! We started like at 8 or 9am and finished at 2pm. We probably rode about 30 miles. The guide will tailor the difficulty of the terrain based on your ability. Be sure to speak up if you want it more or less challenging.

Includes: Bike, helmet, water, and private tour guide.
Does not include: Lunch but you can certainly stop.

Bring lots of sunscreen, some cash, camera and be sure to ask questions in advance. The communication of our tour guide was good, he spoke great English. I think improvement can be had in terms of telling tourists what they can expect, which villages will be next, what type of terrain we will be encountering, options for photos or lunch, etc...

Overall excellent, would do it again. Some of the best photos came from this tour.

Visited February 2013