“Great hotel in Antigua!”
Review of Hotel Casa Rustica

Hotel Casa Rustica
Ranked #48 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed September 19, 2010

To give an idea of context for this review, we were a group of 3 girls (aged 20, 31 & 32)spending 5 weeks travelling through Central America. We didn't fancy roughing it in hostels, but at the same time we were on a budget and couldnt afford to splurge.
We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights from 21st August 2010.

Staff: The staff is really friendly and helpful.

Location: The location is fantastic. Antigua has really small blocks so it takes literally 2 minutes max to walk one block. we were 1 block away from Parque central, 1 block away from a free cinema (great idea- you just have to buy a drink or food from the bar and you can watch movies fro free) and just 3 blocks away from the nightlife area.

Room: Our room was on the 1st floor and was really nicely decorated with lovely furniture. It had 3 beds, TV, desk, towels, soap. We also had sliding doors that lead onto our terrace where there was a hammock-chair. this then opened onto a communat terrace (but no-one seemed to use it). It felt really cosy, safe and clean.
We had a shared bathroom, but this was just across the hall and was always spotlessly clean. The shower was amazing!-really powerful and hot (if I sound over the top, its because after travelling for over 3 weeks and having to put up with mainly cold or salty or dirty or useless showers, you really begin to appreciate a good one!)

There was a big communal kitchen with free purified water, gas hob, microwave, pots, pans, fridge-freezer etc... there was also a communal lounge with TV.

Negatives: There was a notice on the back of the door of the room apologising for the loud music on Friday and saturday nights that would run until 1am and that the hotel wasnt responsible for this and that they were unable to do anything about it. they werent kidding! REALLY loud music came on and then a (dreadful) live band. It was so loud that 2 of us considered just getting up and going out as most people would struggle to sleep through that noise (although my other friend did fall asleep quite happily, but she could sleep standing up). It wouldnt put me off going to the hotel again, but if you were planning an early night or had young children, its definitely something you would have to take into consideration.

Price: On the hotel's website, it says that the charge for a triple room (with shared bathroom) is US$45 per night including taxes and charges. However, when you try to book via the website online booking system, the price is US$60 per night. I emailed the hotel and they said that this is due to the additional charges of the online booking agent. To book at the cheaper rate therefore, the hotel require a credit card # & expiration date either via direct email to them or by telephone.
They dont charge your card, but when you arrive at the hotel you can then pay by cash (in dollars or quetzales) or credit card, but if you pay by credit card there is a 10% surcharge.

Despite the noise at weekends, I would definitely stay here again- its a lovely little hotel whatever your budget.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank doublechoc-chip

Reviewed August 16, 2010

When I'm looking for a hotel I want a place that is quiet, clean, safe, convenient and with WIFI so I can work if I feel like it. Casa Rustica fits the bill perfectly. The place is meticulously clean, it's not a party spot like some of the other places in town, and is on 6th Ave, only a block from the park and 2 or 3 blocks from everywhere you would want to go.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank guateliving
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Booked this place based on the reviews here and was not disappointed. The staff is amiable and the rooms are very clean. At $70 a night it is not a bargain basement deal you'd expect in a central america, but that is more a factor of Antigua being a popular place with tourists.

Rooms are extremely clean and the morning view of the smoking volcano from the rooftop is worth the stay alone.

Noise travels easily and beds are smallish.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DJEscuintla
Reviewed August 6, 2010

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

My parents, friends and my husband and I all stayed here during Semana Santa. They charged $75 per room per night. This is a considerable amount of business for a small hotel like this.

We got into the room and found a filthy bathroom - dust, dirt and hair over EVERYTHING and a rusty shower that was sure to give you tetanus. But we said 'ok, we can deal with this, it's just a little bit of dust', and cleaned the bathrooms ourselves.

We went out and then came back around 10:00pm. To our shock and horror, LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUD HORRIBLE ROCK MUSIC STARTED BLARING INTO OUR ROOM. The music was so loud it sounded like there was a band playing INSIDE THE BEDROOM. I went downstairs to ask how long this would continue (and mind you, I do speak Spanish), and the person at the reception just shrugged his shoulders. WTF!!!! I went back upstairs to my bedroom and just tried to close my eyes hoping the music would stop soon. It continued until 2am.

The next morning, we were up at 7am. We grabbed all our stuff and went down to the counter and asked for some money back. We could not believe we had paid $75 for five hours of rest. I attempted to emphasize this, but the two people at the reception just shrugged their shoulders (ugh) and said they couldn't do anything about this, and that it was Semana Santa and that's just how it was.

I live in Guatemala and I know what happens during Semana Santa. If it had parades of religious people processing through the streets with loud funeral-type music, I would have accepted this excuse. Instead it was blaringly loud rock music that they KNEW all about, and still persisted to charge guests outrageous amounts of money. I wouldn't have been so upset if I had paid $10, but it was $75 which is really not fair.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. It will give you nightmares - IF you can get to sleep.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
mexicohicks1, Owner at Hotel Casa Rustica, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2010

We are glad to anounce that Antigua has a noise ordinance and are inforcing it now. So, this means there should not be anymore problems with noise from nearby bars. I apologize for this guest having a bad time at our hotel, but this guest needs to do some research before making wild statements. During Semaña Santa, Antigua has about 5 times the normal tourists, and with this many people, there will be lots of celebrations. So, hotel rooms are at a premimum. Most hotels double their normal prices for this time. Our normal double room price is $53 and $75 during Semaña Santa. This is only a 40% increase, not a 100% like most hotels. During Semaña Santa, the avg price for a 2 or 3 star hotel is $100 or more.

Our hotel runs a 85% occupancy rate, year around, so people must think it is a good deal for their money. If you read the other 70 something reviews, you will see how clean our hotel is and realize that this person was just not telling the truth about the cleaning.

So, if you want a peaceful vacation, come to Antigua other times of the year. If you want to enjoy Semaña Santa, please come with an open mind and enjoy things, not complain about noise when you know there is an extra 200,000 people in town. Also, you will want to make your reservation at least 5 or 6 month in advance, or you will be stuck with a hotel on the outskirts of town.

Reviewed July 29, 2010

The service is very good, kind and helpfull. Muy amable!
The room was very clean and had a nice terrace and on the roof terrace there's an amazing view on the volcano!
Location is in a quite street and 2 blocks away from the centre.
I liked the full kitchen acces, the possibility to use the pool of another hotel and the possibility to book tours.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sabineseijerlin
Reviewed July 21, 2010

This hotel is one of the best places to stay in Antiqua. Very much like home ,the staff is so pleasent. I speak no spanish so the staff was always willing to help in any they could The hotel is so clean, spotless you might say.I ask one day if my laundry could be done ,finished in three hours great job.The owner Darrell is there most of the time always ready to help. So if going to Antiqua get a room at THE CASA RUSTICA you want be sorry.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank ever16
Reviewed July 18, 2010

This is a sweet looking hotel in a good location close to the central plaza, but there was an absolutely unbelievable amount of noise coming from the disco across the street from about 10 pm until 2 AM on Friday night. The rooms were small and very simple but had nice Guatemalan fabric bedspreads. However, I´m pretty sure the sheets on my bed had not been laundered since the previous inhabitant, and the shower mat was wet....ugh.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family