“Great hotel for groups!”
Review of El Carmen Hotel

El Carmen Hotel
Ranked #34 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Portage, Michigan
“Great hotel for groups!”
Reviewed September 16, 2007

In June of 2007, our group of 10 Presbyterian mission project workers made the El Carmen our hotel of choice as we explored Antigua, the former capital of Guatemala. From Isai Gonzalez at the front desk, to Mayra Garcia the concierge and travel agent located in the hotel, all the way to Roberto Lara the owner of the El Camen all made our stay, convenient, comfortable, and affordable. You can't miss by choosing the El Carmen as your Antiguan hotel.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank DougCase

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Louisville, ky
Reviewed September 15, 2007

I love Hotel El Carmen!!
My experience was fantastic!!! this hotel has a wonderfull vew, you can see the mountains and the "agua volcano' and from the roof you can see the churches,ruins and all the colonial beauty. The location it's in a really good place because it's very near to the central park, the artesanies market, and near to any other place you want to visit. If you are hungry, you can find delicious and fresh food at the hotel... with very friendly people...
The hotel has hot water, good ilumination, and the rooms have a good size ... obviously good prices too!!!

• Liked — the location
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank negrita23_03
baltimore
Reviewed February 15, 2007

What a little treasure!, After searching way too long for a hotel we settled on this hotel (a group of 5) and we were all delighted with the property from the simple but well done breakfasts, to the spacious rooms and the kind service (not always quick by US standards), but we were in latino mode so it was fine.
THe hotel is in a great location and its size is a big plus. It gives you the feel of intimacy even though you are a visitor.
Another reason this hotel is awesome if the roof top with incredible views of the mountains/volcanoes and a hottub also. Watching sunset in the hottub was incredible.
The only downside was one night some other guests came home and did not realize their voices carry into the other rooms as the inner courtyard is enclosed (which amplifies noise).
Other than this, it was a wonderful stay, in a great place, at a great price.

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank BaltimoreRay
Melbourne
Reviewed October 24, 2006

Very noisy hotel with almost no hot water. Rooms perfectly adequate and location is close to the square which is very handy. For the money, I wouldn´t stay here again though.

• Liked — Room size
  • Disliked — No hot water noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2006
3 Thank Melbourne_Female

Travelers are raving about these Antigua hotels

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed February 23, 2006

I have stayed at the El Carmen on two different occasions. The hotel is in a great location. I felt very safe in and around the hotel. The rooms are small, but I don't spend much time in my room when I am in Guatemala. I had my laptop with me, so I enjoyed the wifi service. This is not a deluxe hotel, but is generally a good value.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank John550
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 17, 2006

I stayed here during as the mudslides hit the nearby lake districts in 2005. We hit a few blackouts during this period, and they'd enclosed the courtyard because of inclement weather issues (with plastic roofing!). Our room didn't actually get any hot water on 2 out of the 3 days spent there (one of the reasons I moved to Hotel Plaza Mayor nearby - smaller, but just as charismatic in terms of old spanish style architechture). We seemed to be alone in our problems on the hot water, but combined with the fact there was no window in the bathroom - a cold shower during the blackout left a lot to be desired.

Breakfast was available - it was cheap, and for the most part very good, but I did have one day where the milk was curdled and the fruit not so fresh. We didn't bother trying other meals in here, as there were many amazing and cheap restaurants nearby. Cable television was a bit of a novelty for me but not essential, the beds were hard, and the courtyard noisy with people coming and going all hours (especially a few tour groups)

I thought it was fine, but there are quite a few similar hotels in the area (lots that don't even appear on this site!) that are equally charming, quieter, and with less problems with basic facilities.

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank Driftergirl
New York City
Reviewed January 23, 2006

There were some bad things and good things about this hotel, I will start with the bad. When I got there my room did not have a TV and the phone did not work. They move me to another room, but a lot the rooms had very tiny tv’s and they did not work or had terrible reception. They close the doors of the hotel at 10 Pm so when you come after this time you have to bang on the door and hope they hear you. I ask for wake up calls the first one they got right the other time they did not call me, no apology was offer by the crew. They will charge you for the internet service wether you use it or not. The towels are old and need to be replace. Their tourist brochure’s are terrible, and the ones they do have are not that good. For the price of $50 dollars a night this was overprice, for the standards of this hotel it should be about $30.00
Now I will refer to the good things, staff is very nice and they try to help you as much as possible with the limited resources they have. I brought my laptop, and it work using the hotel Wi-Fi. The hotel is only 2 blocks from main plaza, convenient location, you can have a fast and decent breakfast for about $5.00 dollars in the hotel patio. You have access to the roof where you can take some food and eat and watch the view of the Volcano.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business