“We did not exist.”

Ranked #36 of 76 Hotels in Antigua
vancouver
“We did not exist.”
Reviewed April 13, 2008

We booked the El Carmen Hotel for three nights stay on the hotels website and printed out the confirmation. When we arrived at the hotel the manager at first denied that we had made any reservation in spite of having the reservation printout in front of him. Then he told us that our reservation was for another hotel the El Conquistador - news to us! He also showed us one miserable room with no windows on the ground floor that at first was available for one night only. Then it was available for three nights. As we felt we were being given the run around here we tramped way to the other side of town to check out the empty El Conquistador. Looked okay but the whole place was bouncing from construction going on outside. Thoroughly fed up we headed back into town. On the way we checked out the Hotel San Jorge - perfect. Stayed there for four nights and give it top ratings all round. Forget about El Carmen.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank junod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Florida
Reviewed April 2, 2008

When I arrived, I found the price they wanted me to pay was much higher than the price I had booked and no satisfactory explanation was offered. They also informed me my booking was for one person, whereas I had booked a double room. I replied I would find another hotel. They handed me my credit card receipt and assured me several times there would be nothing to pay, since I had signed nothing. I expected they might nonetheless bill me for one night as a "no show." Instead they billed me for the entire stay. After a phone call from Expedia, they agreed to refund all but one night, but they have in fact done nothing.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Antigua hotels

Louisville KY
Reviewed September 27, 2007

In July, I stayed at Hotel El Carmen with a group of friends from my church. I have traveled very little outside the U.S. and I wasn't sure what to expect from this experience. What I found was great convenience to the city's town square, a lovely lobby area on the hotel's main floor with a lot of great plants and a very open feel with its high ceiling, clean and cozy rooms, and fast access to the internet through a private room off the lobby. But, the most delightful part of all in this lovely hotel was the amazing view of Antigua and the surrounding mountains and volcanoes from the lovely rooftop garden area. It was truly hard to leave! This would be a perfect getaway place for a couple! It's small, intimate and absolutely beautiful! I'm sorry I didn't have the time to check out that rooftop hot tub! Bet I will next time though!

• Liked — rooftop garden
  • Disliked — stairs
  • Stayed July 2007
2 Thank LouisvilleKYQueen
Louisville
Reviewed September 22, 2007

We stayed with a group of 24 in early July. We'd stayed in a very hot area before, and Antigua was beautiful, as was the hotel. It's just a block and a half from the downtown square, where President Putin rode with his motorcade while we were there. Within close walking distance of the market, churches, restaurants, etc. It was actually cool in the evenings, including up on the beautiful Hotel Carmen rooftop. I know the TVs work, because not only did we check the weather, but the kids in our group watched a fair amount of TV. Nice courtyard and nice little business/computer center. Great hotel in a lovely area.

• Liked — Great location, beautiful accommodations, good value
  • Disliked — Forgot to bring a sweater when I went up to the rooftop
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Calbraith
Portage, Michigan
Reviewed September 16, 2007

In June of 2007, our group of 10 Presbyterian mission project workers made the El Carmen our hotel of choice as we explored Antigua, the former capital of Guatemala. From Isai Gonzalez at the front desk, to Mayra Garcia the concierge and travel agent located in the hotel, all the way to Roberto Lara the owner of the El Camen all made our stay, convenient, comfortable, and affordable. You can't miss by choosing the El Carmen as your Antiguan hotel.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007
2 Thank DougCase
Louisville, ky
Reviewed September 15, 2007

I love Hotel El Carmen!!
My experience was fantastic!!! this hotel has a wonderfull vew, you can see the mountains and the "agua volcano' and from the roof you can see the churches,ruins and all the colonial beauty. The location it's in a really good place because it's very near to the central park, the artesanies market, and near to any other place you want to visit. If you are hungry, you can find delicious and fresh food at the hotel... with very friendly people...
The hotel has hot water, good ilumination, and the rooms have a good size ... obviously good prices too!!!

• Liked — the location
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank negrita23_03
baltimore
Reviewed February 15, 2007

What a little treasure!, After searching way too long for a hotel we settled on this hotel (a group of 5) and we were all delighted with the property from the simple but well done breakfasts, to the spacious rooms and the kind service (not always quick by US standards), but we were in latino mode so it was fine.
THe hotel is in a great location and its size is a big plus. It gives you the feel of intimacy even though you are a visitor.
Another reason this hotel is awesome if the roof top with incredible views of the mountains/volcanoes and a hottub also. Watching sunset in the hottub was incredible.
The only downside was one night some other guests came home and did not realize their voices carry into the other rooms as the inner courtyard is enclosed (which amplifies noise).
Other than this, it was a wonderful stay, in a great place, at a great price.

Stayed February 2007