“Awful”
Review of El Carmen Hotel

El Carmen Hotel
Ranked #29 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed January 7, 2012

If I hadn't been staying as part of a group tour I would have moved out. Truly dismal. I think the rooms on the upper floors are better and have windows, but the ground floor rooms were noisy, old, worrying electrics, no privacy so the bathroom window opened onto the courtyard where breakfasts were served, damp, smelly, horrible and nylon sheets, eeughhh. A travelling companion had a ceiling leaking onto the adjacent bed and had to be moved to a marginally better room. It's only benefit - location, near everything you would want to visit. Thank goodness it was only for one night.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 18, 2011

As a frequent traveler to Guatemala since 1991, I have stayed at the El Carmen Hotel many, many times. I like the location especially as I have slowed down a bit with age, and it is nice to be in such a convenient location. I love the rooftop and have often entertained friends where we've enjoyed the wonderful views, sat at a table with snacks and chilled wine and held fun conversations. The delicious buffet breakfast has often started my days and I enjoy the very friendly and helpful staff at this hotel ~ many who have become good friends. I've known the owners and they always welcome me and treat me like family. Yes, there can be some noise, but it is short lasted and doesn't bother very much. I sleep well, and I feel completely safe and should I want to read or rest in the sun, there's always that great rooftop! I will be there October 2011 and my favorite room is reserved for me!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank tiguaguy
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I stayed for 4 nights as part of a GAP tour and have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.
From our arriveal we were treated really well and a few of us were moved as one or two rooms had no TV. They could not do enough for us and we were given access to their kitchen to cook, their meeting rooms, the internet and cheap cheap international phone calls.
Some reviewers comment negatively about service but I cannot agree with this. Yes the hotelis not perfect and yes there is no pool on the roof. But it is clean, safe and in a brilliant location 2 minutes from the nentral square. El CArmen is not luxurious by any means, but when you are not interested in luxury and only want to be safe, clean and well located, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bozeman-Dublin
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Perfectly located - close to the main area but far enough away to get a "neighbourhood feel". Staff was very friendly and helped us out when we were mistakenly taken to the wrong hotel. Our room were larger than expected and was comfortable for what we needed. a nice courtyard allowed for some escape from the heat. the only negative, and its not major, is based on the layout- our room was on the ground floor facing the courtyard, so we could hear people returning/leaving their rooms at night, noisy conversations etc. again minor issue and nothing that impacted our stay in Antigua. wished we had a longer stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2010

The people at Hotel El Carmen are incredibly helpful, kind, considerate--we much appreciated Paulino and Libny for their assistance during our ten-day stay. Breakfasts were great, the room was comfy (with the fan they provided) and were kept clean each day, and it was quiet at night. Its proximity to the park, to restaurants, to everything, was perfect. If you're going to Antigua, stay here! Loved it!

Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JudithH1
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Stayed at El Carmen for two nights whilst on a tour of Central America.
Hotel was located in an excellent spot in Antigua. Has a very pretty roof top area, with lovely views. Room was on the small side, but bed was extremely comfortable, with tv (cable) provided in rooms.
We'd arrived at the hotel at 4am (from an overnight bus from Flores) and the poor gentleman who we'd woken up to check us in, did so with a smile on his face and in a very friendly manner!
Only complaint would be that rooms unfortunately had no air-conditioner or fans. As the room windows looked into the interior of hotel (which was a big sun-room type of thing), the rooms became hot and stuffy towards the end of the day.
Other than that, stay was hassle-free. Recommended hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Yes, those older (2008) bad reviews are still true, read them if you don't believe me.

Positives - The room was not very clean (by first world standards), but still acceptable. The included breakfast was decent. The location is great - the middle of the town.

Negatives - Room windows face into the hotel not outside + no air conditioning = you get to hear all the noise in the hotel because your window is the only source of cool air. The "Hot Tub" was never open and probably never has been used - although you will be charged for it on your bill. TV signal was garbage. Hot water appeared sporadically for about ten second intervals during showers. And worst of all, just like their other customers mentioned on here, the manager did not honor the Expedia price (Why even use expedia if they lie?) and added a bunch of mystery charges to our bill. After many threats about calling all the credit card companies and reporting this hotel for credit card fraud, our price was finally reduced. This took about 45 minutes of arguing.

To put it in perspective, this was the only hotel that attempted to be crooked at all during my whole trip, so I don't believe it is normal practice in Guatemala to rip people off. Only at El Carmen.

This should probably be anybody's last resort - although I'm unfamiliar with the other hotels in Antigua - but they couldn't be any worse than El Carmen!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family