“Clean comfy and hot showers!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Antigua
Hotel Casa Cristina
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Oakland, Oregon
“Clean comfy and hot showers!”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I requested special accommodations and everything was perfect at arrival. Everyone went over and above the call of duty to make us feel at home, laundry cleaned and delivered tot he hotel, assistance arranging transport etc.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DeliaLop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
California
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

People complain about the rooms being small. I found them fine. We first stayed in the best rooms and next visit regular room. I found regular rooms on second floor just fine. Having a view of the volcano from a small window is not worth the extra $. Just get on their roof too patio and get your view. Avoid downstairs rooms 1 and 2 as they are close to reception and outside. We had room 7 perfect.

• Stayed December 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed here for several nights at the start of my travels in Central America and had intended to move on a after a couple of nights but decided to stay put.
First and foremost, the efficiency and hospitality of Rosario and staff was excellent. I was able to secure my booking via the hotel website before arrival with prompt and detailed communication from Rosario. You get the option to choose rooms and they are listed with details of price and location. Having seen the previous reviews when I was doing a bit of pre- travel research, particularly from "Hopefulist" who has heaps of useful tips (thank you!), I requested a taxi transfer to be pre-booked for me by the hotel as my flight was due to arrive in Guate City late evening. My flight ended up being delayed so I arrived later than anticipated but was delighted to find the patient taxi driver waiting for me - as I had been assured would be the case. Still as a lone traveller on a first visit, the taxi driver put me at my ease and delivered me safely to Casa Cristina.
The rooms are all that I could have wished for in a base to mainly sleep in and made more pleasant by the ease of access to the lovely roof terrace that has breath taking views of several volcanoes - predominantly the majestic Agua which takes on a different personality according to the different cloud arrangements and so I never got bored with it! The terrace is decorated with beautiful plants and flowers and it overlooks other pretty streets and buildings in Antigua including the Merced church. Clean rooms with hot water with great water pressure made for a comfortable stay.
I left Antigua briefly for 2 days and the hotel was kind enough to keep my luggage in safe storage as I changed rooms on my return.
Carlos who covered the hotel in the evening and during night times made sure I got on to my 4 a.m. departure shuttle bus safely when it came outside in the pitch black dark! He was also very patient in my attempts at communication in Spanish which I was on a quest to improve!
Location of the hotel is fine - I was initially worried about walking back from the park area late at night (where some of the good food places are located) but once I got used to to darkness of the city my main safety concern was not tripping over the cobblestones!
I was sad to leave but delighted to have had a great base to start the rest of my travels.

Room Tip: Initially I was in room 11 on the top floor so no view of the volcano but it is so close to the roof...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Sim_S120
Canada
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Small but comfortable room with a nice view of the main Volcano of Water from our room and the skyline of Antigua from the rooftop terrace. The hotel provides free water, tea, coffee and cookies, as well as wifi.

The owners and staff are very friendly and accommodating. The hotel is conveniently located within close walking distance of major attractions and restaurants.

Cons:
The room is very tiny and the bathroom is even tinier. It’s functional but not very comfortable. Like most of the hotels in Antigua, hot water is only available in the shower, not the sink. It has a shower stall crowded into one corner and the water from it splashes under the shower curtain to make a mess on the bathroom floor.

For the same price, I would recommend the Hotel de los Nazarenos, which is right next door and includes breakfast.

For slightly more, try the Merced Hotel just around the corner and connected to the excellent Fernandos Café. The rooms here are bigger and share a small courtyard.

Room Tip: Rooms 11 and 12 are good choices. Both have a view of the volcano and easy access to the rooftop ter...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2013

What an adorable little hotel! The staff is so kind. There is one gentleman who worked there, I often saw him cleaning the rooms. I didn't get his name as I am not fluent in Spanish but I want to thank him for ALWAYS smiling. What a lovely person!

It was very clean here with crisp white linens. There is free coffee and bread every morning in the reception area. My only complaint is that the fist floor was a but noisy as you have to ring a bell to enter the hotel, and if you're on the fist floor you will here this bell at any hour it might be rang. This is a security measure which I appreciated and a simple pair of earplugs solved the problem.

I highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for something mid-range in price that is clean and comfortable!

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The rooms and bathroom are clean and the roof garden is beautiful. You can sit up there and look out over the city to the nearby mountains. Three of us were in a room that was very tight quarters and it did not have an outside window, instead we were awaken each night by folks coming into the adjacent room. Not to cavil, but noise from other guests and the steep stairs could be an issue for some folks. On a more positive note, it feels extremely safe and the proprietors are helpful in arranging transportation from the airport and to Lago Atiitilan. From Casa Cristina you can quickly walk to the center of the city or to any sight you might wish to see, yet the hotel is on a small side street that is itself quiet and neighborly. All these positives plus the reasonable cost make this a good place to stay for the budget traveler.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This hotel is in a great location. Try to stay in a bedroom on the second or third floor because the sound of other guests coming and going may disturb you. The rooms are cozy and clean. The staff is great and very helpful. The pricing is reasonable. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #10 which was good.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple